XIM Community

Can someone give me a really good explanation of syncronization?  (Read 442 times)

Offline shopejr2

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: PreheatedMoth
I understand it syncs the xim with the games processing loop..

But can someone please explain to me what is actually happening to the mouse movements? So I can better understand the difference I'm actually feeling..

For example say I run a 100 turn in ADS from one side of the pad to the other.

I feel a difference beetween sync settings even though I'm moving the same distance but i cant put my finger on the difference..

Is it changing the snappyness of my mouse movements? I like snappy but not too snappy lol.

If someone could explain how exactly each setting effects movement that would be awesome.

I'm constantly switching syncs trying to find what feels best and maybe if I understood what was happening a little better I could adjust depending on what feel I'm trying to get out of each game

Offline lilnagle

• View Profile
Commenting for notifications because Id like to know too

Offline baadnewz

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: baadnewz2k9
I would also like to know...

Offline Dncdubbs

• View Profile
I think it is to do with frame rate sync.  Off means there isnt any.  Default is 30fps and common is 60fps games.  So i dunno if the sync will actually cap the refresh but it might.  I found off too jittery with really busy battles but it could be just me.  Someone will provide a better explanation.

Offline ithinkfit

• View Profile
"3) Change Synchronize under advanced Aim settings
The Synchronize setting is used to better match your XIM APEX's mouse translation to your game's input processing system. Set this based on your game's framerate (most commonly is 60fps). If you don't know your game's framerate, leave it as Default (do not use Off). If your game is running at:

60fps (such as CoD, Battlefield, Halo, Overwatch), then set to Common and reduce your sensitivity.
30fps (such as Destiny), then set to Slow and reduce your sensitivity." - OBsIV

Offline shopejr2

• View Profile
"3) Change Synchronize under advanced Aim settings
The Synchronize setting is used to better match your XIM APEX's mouse translation to your game's input processing system. Set this based on your game's framerate (most commonly is 60fps). If you don't know your game's framerate, leave it as Default (do not use Off). If your game is running at:

60fps (such as CoD, Battlefield, Halo, Overwatch), then set to Common and reduce your sensitivity.
30fps (such as Destiny), then set to Slow and reduce your sensitivity." - OBsIV

So what exactly is the effect this is having on my mouse movements? Is slow sync making mouse movements less responsive? More responsive? Is it adding a type of smoothing or some type of boost or acceleration?

I'm curious as to what each setting actually does to the movements I'm making with my mouse so I can choose sync depending on what game I'm playing and the feel I'm looking for.. A game might run at 60 frames per second and common might not always be the best feeling sync option..

If I had more understanding of what was actually happening to the movements it will be easier to choose a sync depending on the game

Offline saItywatch

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: saltywatch
  • PSN ID: saltywatch
yeah, i mean, the mods now suggest off sync for overwatch, but haven't updated their previous statements about sync to reflect that.

So, from what I can gather...

TLDR:  Off sync sometimes gives you a cleaner experience, but at the expense of aim assist strength. IMO its good for games where you have multiple options on adjusting your AA experience. Default and Common give you a stronger AA feel, but creates a aim assist bubble. You can use boost/steady aim to get around this, but this comes at the expense of micro-aiming and it will make your xim experience much different than the PC counterpart
Off sync -  This is great for games with flexible AA options. I like off sync for OW because it makes the AA effect minimal compared to common... So I can make the Aim assist window higher in OW, do max AA, and tread through the AA bubble easier with off sync. It feels much cleaner than common and default

default -  It's "Xim4"s aim assist feeling. It's like Xim4 but not really. It's like Diet. Dr. Xim 4. I actually don't prefer default on any 60 fps game other than OW. I like Default over Common in OW because they both produce a similar effect, but common seems to have an undesirable glide. Default is necessity for most 30 FPS games, as most games with 30 FPS (destiny) have limited aim assist options [just on/off]

Common- i like to run common for most games that are 60 FPS that aren't OW. I think I run fortnite on default, though. Common gives you a strong aim assist pull, and can make the aim assist bubble feel obnoxious. its a double edge blade, because if you can't get in and out of the bubbles, or more importantly, can't maneuver or micro aim inside the bubble, then whats the point.  More often than not the smart translators are built around common for 60 FPS games so they generally perform the best under common.

you can use boost to exit the aim assist bubbles you create, but it can feel jittery. You can use steady aim to enter aim assist bubbles easier due to data quantization or some goofy science word, but it kills your ability to micro aim (unless you're using xim4 lol). you can use smoothing to give yourself an AA boost, but smoothing creates that same "glidey" feeling that common can cause.

last random fact, smoothing can be necessary to run off sync. sometimes off sync will feel like trash, if you add 3-7 smoothing, depending on your mouse, you might find it the best AA experience.. SA and Boost I honestly wouldnt touch because it doesnt feel like xim4 to me

Offline shopejr2

• View Profile
So aim assist aside.. what are the effects on actual movement? I mainly play pubg so there is no aim assist..

but I still feel a difference I cant explain across sync settings..

I wanna say the difference is in the micro movements but I cant be 100% sure. It seems like sync automatically adds smoothing. The more sync the less responsive or slow/floaty your movements become.

Maybe this is why some people feel jitter with off sync.. because theres no added smoothing from synchronization?

Offline The prodigy

• View Profile
Sync "Off" basically is the most sensitive and responsive when it comes to mouse movements.  In games like PUBG however, it might not be the best option purely because of the really poor optimization of the game.

Let's say you're dropping frames in combat, your mouse movements will obviously suffer from this and even the slightest jitter in your hand will get picked up by using sync "Off" simply because it's that sensitive.  In those cases, default might just give you a more consistent experience because it's the one sync that basically always does well.