XIM Community

My first experience with a Sony nav...  (Read 586 times)

Offline JT Jenkins

• View Profile
My first experience with a Sony nav...
« on: 01:14 PM - 01/27/19 »
...was disappointing. Played BF1 last night with a G502, which I was also trying out for the first time. My usual set-up is a G13 keypad and G303 mouse. I switched to the G13/G303/XIM from controller / console play about two years ago. Two things stuck out.

1) Ergonomics: it just feels awkward, especially in my lower ring/pinky fingers. When holding a controller while console gaming, it's resting in your palms, with your fingers floating over the triggers, with the nav, you have to grip, at least I did since my hand doesn't envelope the whole thing. If it was smaller and didn't extend below the base of my palm it would be more comfortable. My ring and pinky fingers were pretty sore this morning.

2) Aiming: I felt like keeping my crosshairs on targets was negatively impacted by the nav. I'll concede that much of this was likely due to my ergonomics comments and it being my first try with a nav, as well as a G502, which while very comfortable, does feel quite different from the G303.

The only initial positives of the nav were 360 analog movement making turns super smooth, and being able to walk easily. I also have a funky set-up, I pull up an Ikea SVARTÅSEN laptop stand up to my TV only when gaming. This has just enough real estate for my G13 setup, but was nice and roomy with the nav, so I'll give it that too.

I bought two used navs in excellent condition, still have a third new in box unopened nav, and new charging station. I pretty much went all in, thinking this would be a game changing, all-in conversion. Now I feel like sucker and that I'll probably just end up selling all this stuff after giving it another try or two.

What really stands out to me is the discomfort. I'm surprised since I don't recall seeing many posts on here mentioning the lack of nav ergonomics. Maybe I'm just holding the @#$% thing wrong?!

TLDR: nav doesn't feel comfortable, and my aiming and in-game performance fell off a cliff. Maybe I just need more practice with it.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Re: My first experience with a Sony nav...
« Reply #1 on: 01:40 PM - 01/27/19 »
I feel the G13 is a better choice over the Nav as well.
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline The prodigy

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02:57 PM - 01/27/19 »
Lol i'm with you a sony nav is not for everyone. I only used mine twice and haven't touched it since..
My biggest issue with it is that i'm used to playing with a controller on my lap and my mouse / keyboard on my desk.  Now with the nav i feel like i have to do both... Hold the nav on my lap and my mouse on my desk which feels super weird.  Holding the nav with my arm on my desk also doesn't feel right.
I'm sure if i kept using it for a long time it would get more comfortable but that's not worth it for me.  Seeing as the nav itself also lacks buttons and forces you to bind almost everything on your mouse.

Offline JDM

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03:48 PM - 01/27/19 »
I play with my mouse pad on my lap and my Nav hand on the left of the pad.

Could try that lol.

Requires wrist aim and leaves you with very little space for mouse movement
| Apex ~ Glorious Model O- ~ Azeron Compact ~ X-Raypad THOR ~ Astro A40 TR ~ PS4 |

Offline lmulli

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04:24 PM - 01/27/19 »
I play with a G502 and Nav and cannot for the life of me get used to playing with either a keyboard or my G13 as they just feel so cumbersome in comparison.

Whatever feels good for the user I guess.  I just wish someone would come out with a Nav controller with more buttons so I can try my other Mouse devices out.

Offline JT Jenkins

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06:05 PM - 01/27/19 »
True, there is no one size fits all. The G13 has been working well for me, but with my background being mainly console, I figured the nav would feel natural to me and I was just surprised that it didn't.

Too bad the Grifta never went anywhere, I believe that design would be more ergonomic than a nav. The Azeron looks like a nice new option, but I'm not an early adopter. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it though.

Offline Fox McCloud

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Sir Fox McCloud
« Reply #6 on: 09:28 AM - 01/28/19 »
I picked one up this weekend for a whopping $1.99 at the local Gamestop. I enjoyed it overall. Definitely, some drawbacks but it pairs nicely with the Swiftpoint Z.
XIM APEX | XIM LINK | XBOX One S | Razer OrbWeaver (Razer Orange/Cherry Brown equivalent) | Logitech G502 (3.5K DPI & 1K Hz) | Asus 24" (VG245H) | Destiny 2

Offline JT Jenkins

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11:50 AM - 01/28/19 »
After tinkering with command layouts on the G502 and my grip on the nav, it felt much better last night on my second playthrough, and my performance improved, albeit not to what I can do with the G13. I also made sure to stretch out my nav hand and fingers periodically, which also helped.

As with any new setup, practice and building muscle memory just takes time. I'll play around with my nav setup some more, but have a feeling I'll eventually revert back to my G13 setup.

Offline slickrick

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04:20 PM - 01/29/19 »
After tinkering with command layouts on the G502 and my grip on the nav, it felt much better last night on my second playthrough, and my performance improved, albeit not to what I can do with the G13. I also made sure to stretch out my nav hand and fingers periodically, which also helped.

As with any new setup, practice and building muscle memory just takes time. I'll play around with my nav setup some more, but have a feeling I'll eventually revert back to my G13 setup.
      I went from console to xim about 2 years ago.  I never played a game on pc in my life ,  I bought a big money kb  and a couple navs. I tried the KB about 2 hours and gave up.  the nav is like second nature now. I've got big hands so I put Velcro around it and a soft kontroll freek on the stick. works great. now a controller feels funny.

Offline JT Jenkins

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05:01 PM - 01/29/19 »
I went from console to xim about 2 years ago.  I never played a game on pc in my life ,  I bought a big money kb  and a couple navs. I tried the KB about 2 hours and gave up.  the nav is like second nature now. I've got big hands so I put Velcro around it and a soft kontroll freek on the stick. works great. now a controller feels funny.

Aside from playing Counterstrike on MKB from 2002 - 2004, I've played console only since then. When I got the XIM a couple of years ago, the KB felt foreign and I had to relearn it, and it took WAY more than 2 hours, probably more like 2 months for me to get fully used to it. Sounds like the nav is working for you though. What do you mean by putting velcro around it? Do you strap the nav to your hand?

Admin