XIM Community

XIM Link 2019 Update  (Read 2403 times)

Offline W11cE

• MVP
    • View Profile
XIM Link 2019 Update
« on: 12:44 PM - 01/14/19 »
You have probably noticed that there has not been a new version release in quite a while. There are many bigger and smaller things that have caused this, mostly at the end of the year I was quite busy with other stuff and didn't have enough time to actually get together anything worth releasing.

Dont worry, I'm still actively developing Link, the release schedule will just change. First, we will get rid of the weekly builds. The purpose of those was to get quick fixes without any documentation. However at this point when there wont be a new release every week, those do not make sense anymore. Instead the versioning will change to something more "standard". The format will be typical x.x.x. The next version will be 1.4.0.

The new thing that took some time to get working is something called "AppBar". The real API name is "Application Desktop Toolbar". I didnt even know before that something like this existed, but it seemed like a working idea for multi monitor users. Basically it is a bar that is attached to the bottom or top of a screen. What is special about this is that it "eats" screen working area smaller and is always on top. This makes it so that you dont need to bring up the whole main window to do something or see what is happening. It will be always visible.

When I was doing that I wanted to make it look more like windows 10 taskbar. More like an extension for that. The taskbar has quite a lot of coloring and transparency options, so this meant using the windows 10 UWP apis to tap into that information to make the appbar adapt into those options.

These UWP apis dont exist or run on windows 7 or 8.1, so this meant I need to compile a separate version for both. To make things smoother for the end user, I had to make the installer select what version to install. The installer library that I used to make the installer didnt want to bend to something like this. So I had to switch to a completely different installer package. And when you want to make something complex stuff, you need complex tools. Fortunately I got the new installer working, just some testing and visual stuff to fix and everything is working again.

There is a lot of other smaller stuff I have changed, but I will talk about those more when I will release 1.4. This would be hopefully during this month.

Offline GuNStArHeRo

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Subscribe
  • Gamertag: x GuNStArHeRo
  • PSN ID: GuNStAr-HeRo-
Re: XIM Link 2019 Update
« Reply #1 on: 10:20 PM - 02/08/19 »
XiM Link dabess.
XIM: Apex | Titan: Two | XiM Link | PS4 Pro & XBox One X | PC: i7700k 1080ti ftw3 | M: G502 | KB: G513 Carbon | Mouse Pad: HyperX Fury S Pro Gaming Mouse Pad X-Large |  Console Audio/Mic: beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO & Creative Sound Blaster X7 | PC Mic: Samson G-Track | Monitor: 24" BenQ Zowie xl2436

Offline havoxxx

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09:00 PM - 02/11/19 »
Thanks for the update looking forwards to use the next build, I am still on 1.2. Anything else does not work for me. I can not wait! Thanks again!!

Offline W11cE

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07:29 PM - 02/12/19 »
The new style is now pretty much done, just need to switch few icons and coloring that are not good enough. I will also fix few exceptions. Looks like I can release it on the next weekend or week.

Offline tsdbhg

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: xolhid
  • PSN ID: xolhid
« Reply #4 on: 02:04 PM - 02/15/19 »
The new style is now pretty much done, just need to switch few icons and coloring that are not good enough. I will also fix few exceptions. Looks like I can release it on the next weekend or week.
Really looking forward to testing it out!

Offline digoko

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11:03 AM - 02/22/19 »
same here! :)

Offline Tendrop

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08:20 PM - 02/22/19 »
Appreciate your hard work on the Link! 

Offline W11cE

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08:35 PM - 02/24/19 »
Thanks. The 1.4 version is almost ready. It was already, but then I decided to fix also the single instance code to bring focus back to the first instance. This was supposed to be a "quick" fix, but It ended up exploding a little.

If I cant get it together in the next 1 - 2 days, I will just not include it for now. Working with window foreground attention is not easy with windows. MS has made that sure!

Then I should also write a topic explaining what has changed. Well, there is less code that has not changed than there is changed code since 1.3. I should however manage to get this together this week, maybe even during this month.

Offline robotirl

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: robotirl
« Reply #8 on: 10:30 AM - 03/01/19 »
Thanks. The 1.4 version is almost ready. It was already, but then I decided to fix also the single instance code to bring focus back to the first instance. This was supposed to be a "quick" fix, but It ended up exploding a little.

If I cant get it together in the next 1 - 2 days, I will just not include it for now. Working with window foreground attention is not easy with windows. MS has made that sure!

Then I should also write a topic explaining what has changed. Well, there is less code that has not changed than there is changed code since 1.3. I should however manage to get this together this week, maybe even during this month.

Any status updates available for 1.4?

Offline W11cE

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11:57 PM - 03/01/19 »
Yes! It is done. Release is on this weekend.

Offline synflood

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06:13 AM - 03/02/19 »
Anyway to change the key to enabled/disable link? I don't have the default button on my laptop.

Offline tsdbhg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06:23 PM - 03/03/19 »

Not trying to be pushy, but the weekend is almost over...

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09:54 AM - 03/04/19 »

wice only has to write the release text for the new version, the build itself is already done.
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay

Offline tsdbhg

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02:29 PM - 03/04/19 »

wice only has to write the release text for the new version, the build itself is already done.

I don't see it on GitHub.

Offline slickrick

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02:45 PM - 03/04/19 »
beside not having to switch mouse and kb back to pc, what are the benefits of xim link?