XIM Community

Azeron Compact or Regular?  (Read 649 times)

Offline JDM

• MVP
    • View Profile
Azeron Compact or Regular?
« on: 01:20 AM - 01/11/19 »
I know thereís the analog stick which if I do buy the Azeron will be what I use for movement but what would be better for someone who literally canít use WASD for movement ( has issues finding the keys on a kaybord when gaming )

As your fingers have finger slots I guess you could call them, I figure it would be a lot easier to get used to for someone whoís used controller and Nav their whole life and canít game in a keyboard.

With this said, which would be better, the compact or the regular one and would I still need to use my Rival 600 or Logitech G502 for the extra buttons or could I try some new mice with less buttons.
| Apex ~ Zowie FK2 ~ Azeron Compact ~ G440 ~ Astro A40 TR ~ PS4 |

Online antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Re: Azeron Compact or Regular?
« Reply #1 on: 01:43 AM - 01/11/19 »
I own the original Azeron, but would recommend the Compact. The towers look fun, but they're pretty impractical for console gaming and honestly, none of those extra buttons are needed for us.

The key difference between the models was the 5-directional d-pad button on the Compact, but it found its way onto the original, so that's no longer a problem.

In both cases, there are over 20 buttons on Azeron and Compact. You could use a 2-button mouse and have plenty of buttons available.
Official Australian distributor for XIM Apex, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad

Offline JDM

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01:48 AM - 01/11/19 »
Wait 21 buttons?

Wow, I actually thought the done things where your fingers would be were just to support your fingers I guess lol.

Did you find any issues getting used to those buttons, were they in the way?

Online antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #3 on: 02:04 AM - 01/11/19 »
The buttons are all fine. Just pick the ones you find most comfortable and ignore the rest.

I think Compact has 24 buttons, Azeron with d-pad now has 25. Plus the thumbstick click, which isn't recommended.
Official Australian distributor for XIM Apex, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad

Offline Au1d Yin

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02:42 AM - 01/11/19 »
I've been playing with the regular Azeron and I never need to use the top tower buttons.When I first started playing with it I did a lot of accidental button presses ... the switches are very light and sensitive.
Edit: hope that this doesn't sound like a negative, it's not. I soon got used to the switches and it's a great piece of kit.

This week I received the Azeron compact because I wanted the d-pad, the problem I have with this version is that Imants has reduced the spacing between the push and pull switches ... so when you have your finger in place it is really easy for me to click the push switch accidentally as there is not much wiggle room.

For someone with skinny fingers it might be ok, and it is going to be hard to know if it suits you until you get your hands on an Azeron.But for me I honestly think that it is now too easy to hit a wrong switch when things get frantic, and that the more generous spacing on the original Azeron switches was the better design ... but that is only my opinion.
As I said you wont know till you try, but if you ask for the spacing to be as the original was, I think it is something that Imants can change if you ask him beforehand .. he's a good guy.

Oh and i'm now playing with a 2 button mouse with lots of spare switches ... The Azeron is amazing !
« Last Edit: 06:18 AM - 01/11/19 by Au1d Yin »

Offline JDM

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03:05 AM - 01/11/19 »
Thanks for the replies, if I do get it Iíll definitely ask for the wider spaces although I do have pretty skinny fingers ( Iím a skinny guy )

Just not sure as Iím just getting used to my new keybinds for Fortnite again and just about getting used to the game in general but I do feel like Iíd be more accurate and smooth / fluent if I did use my left hand fingers as right about now I only use my thumb and index when gaming.

Online ceebs

• MVP
  • Captain_Minxley
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Captain_Minxley
« Reply #6 on: 03:21 AM - 01/11/19 »
I have the compact. It fits my medium-sized hand perfectly.

There's loads of buttons on it. I use less than half of them. Each finger has a forward, back and down button. This means that I can press 12 buttons without changing my hand or finger position. And with the D-Pad button I have far more buttons than I I'll ever need for an FPS.
Where's Half-Life 3?

XIM Apex, PS4 Pro, Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, Allreli T9+, Swiftpoint Z, CM Swift RX, Audio Technica ATH AD700, Soundblaster X7, LG 27UD58.

MSI Z97i Gaming AC, Intel Core i5 [email protected], Corsair H100i, EVGA GTX780, 16gb G-Skill [email protected], XFX ProSeries (Black Edition) 750w, 3xAerocool Dead Silence, Cooltek W1, 3xSamsung Evo 500 SSD, WD 1TB HDD, Silverstone SST slot-load DVD, KustomPC braided cables. And if you've read this far, you too are a genuine geek, my friend!

Offline Au1d Yin

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05:40 AM - 01/11/19 »
I have the compact. It fits my medium-sized hand perfectly.

There's loads of buttons on it. I use less than half of them. Each finger has a forward, back and down button. This means that I can press 12 buttons without changing my hand or finger position. And with the D-Pad button I have far more buttons than I I'll ever need for an FPS.
That's good to know, the only reason I mentioned it was in case there are any other old codgers out there like me with stiff fingers .. when I move a finger I have to tie the other ones down .. they all want to move lol.
I was fine with the original Azeron but the new reduced space between the push and pull switches makes it too easy to accidentally flick the push switch with my nail.

I can't say enough good things about the Azeron ... the switch lay out is genius, and as I said in another post, when you get used to it and start pressing the switches without thinking ... it really does seem to make your mouse hand work better as well.
Maybe a bit like patting your head and rubbing your tummy lol, but when you don't have to think about your left hand  ... it makes my old brain work better and translates into a relaxed right hand.

Online antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #8 on: 06:58 AM - 01/11/19 »
Are the buttons thicker, or just closer together? Either way, it's a good change for me too.

Offline Au1d Yin

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07:30 AM - 01/11/19 »
Are the buttons thicker, or just closer together? Either way, it's a good change for me too.

I've sent it back to have some changes made so I can't look at it now, but no the buttons are not the "roads thick buttons" ;)
The difference is that the push down switches have been reduced in length making the push/pull switches come closer together.
It will be brilliant for nimble fingers ... you will hardly need to move your finger at all to activate them, but for my hand alas it just is too tight.
Have you decided to get the compact ? ... the revised palm rest and new stick will be out very soon.

Online antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #10 on: 08:14 AM - 01/11/19 »
Yep, I've ordered the Compact and the shorter buttons sounds like it'll work for me.

There are 39 orders ahead of mine in the queue. Imants will hold mine back until the new thumbstick is ready.

I wasn't aware of the revised palm rest, but I've also ordered the shorter finger lengths, which is something I requested to bring the index and pointer buttons closer to the palm rest. Imants is nothing if not receptive to changes.

Offline JDM

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09:10 AM - 01/11/19 »

I've sent it back to have some changes made so I can't look at it now, but no the buttons are not the "roads thick buttons" ;)
The difference is that the push down switches have been reduced in length making the push/pull switches come closer together.
It will be brilliant for nimble fingers ... you will hardly need to move your finger at all to activate them, but for my hand alas it just is too tight.
Have you decided to get the compact ? ... the revised palm rest and new stick will be out very soon.

Not yet, Iím probably also going to wait for the improved sticks and palm rest if there was an issue with that.

Once I buy something I get super excited so having to send it back and wait again would be really annoying for me.

Offline Au1d Yin

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11:28 AM - 01/11/19 »
Yep, I've ordered the Compact and the shorter buttons sounds like it'll work for me.

There are 39 orders ahead of mine in the queue. Imants will hold mine back until the new thumbstick is ready.

I wasn't aware of the revised palm rest, but I've also ordered the shorter finger lengths, which is something I requested to bring the index and pointer buttons closer to the palm rest. Imants is nothing if not receptive to changes.

Yes he is extremely receptive to changes and thinks things out very quickly.

I was asking if it would be possible to drill a hole in the metal base plate so I could have a bit more space to get my ring finger sitting more in line with my middle finger .... and 10 minutes later he sends me a pic of a previous finger design with a 5mm offset on it that would move the switches on that finger arm 5mm more to the left and still use the same hole template.
What can you say ... it's good to see him getting his creation out there and doing well :)

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11:56 AM - 01/11/19 »
Compact, the tower buttons are hard to use.
RookCheck: Relax, no one is attacking you personally.

Offline Azeron

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11:02 AM - 01/16/19 »
I see it very simple, Standard one is better for PC compact for Console as You don't need so many active buttons.