XIM Community

What do you do for a living?  (Read 2207 times)

Offline ceebs

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Captain_Minxley
Re: What do you do for a living?
« Reply #30 on: 03:09 AM - 01/04/19 »
Detective Constable - hence why u have no time to game!
Respect.
I was an MP in the Military.
Are you Jack Reacher IRL?

Where's HL3?

XIM Apex, PS4 Pro with 1TB Crucial MX500, Allreli T9+, Swiftpoint Z, Aorus AMP500, Audio Technica ADG1X, SB X7, LG 27UD58.

MSI Z97i Gaming AC, Core i5 4690k, Corsair H100i, RTX 2070, 16GB Corsair Vengence DDR3, XFX ProSeries 750w, 3xAerocool Dead Silence, Cooltek W1, 2x500GB Samsung Evo SSDs, 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, 1TB WD HDD, Silverstone SST slot-load DVD, KustomPC braided cables. And if you've read this far, you too are a genuine geek, my friend!

Offline ceebs

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Captain_Minxley
« Reply #31 on: 03:17 AM - 01/04/19 »
I think you nailed it with "live different" RML. That's all I needed to see :)

I love my job.
That's the true secret to success. Unfortunately, most of us have to settle for "do what you're good at" rather than "do what you love".
So true.
I was lucky. I had several careers before Learning and Development, none of which particularly excited me, but all of which I was at least competent at. I fell into training almost by accident. There was a trainer job going in the call centre where I was doing telesales (between 'proper' jobs). I didn't know much about it the role, but my then GF told me "You love standing up in front of people and telling them what to do". So I applied. The rest is history.

But you're now doing what you're good at, related to what you love, yes?
« Last Edit: 03:26 AM - 01/04/19 by ceebs »

Where's HL3?

XIM Apex, PS4 Pro with 1TB Crucial MX500, Allreli T9+, Swiftpoint Z, Aorus AMP500, Audio Technica ADG1X, SB X7, LG 27UD58.

MSI Z97i Gaming AC, Core i5 4690k, Corsair H100i, RTX 2070, 16GB Corsair Vengence DDR3, XFX ProSeries 750w, 3xAerocool Dead Silence, Cooltek W1, 2x500GB Samsung Evo SSDs, 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, 1TB WD HDD, Silverstone SST slot-load DVD, KustomPC braided cables. And if you've read this far, you too are a genuine geek, my friend!

Offline wnb

• above average.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 07:36 AM - 01/04/19 »
recently unemployed ( was just your above and beyond work horse. as i didnt listen in school) done abit of everything concreting, retaining walls,land scaping, yard hand,forklifting , cooking, personal training.. just figuring out what i wanna do in life next.
i got nothing tying me down so my living costs are very low and thanks to the lovely xim im able to game at a budget ;) (that plugs ganna cost ya, btw. i charge by the letter who do i pm the invoice to?)
I've been made redundant a couple of times in my life. Strange how gaming takes up so much job-hunting time!

yes only a gamer would know that, i tried to use that excuse at the dole office..... they wouldnt cop it. gamist bastards!
Progress | Xbox One X | g502HERO | Logitech K200 | Sony Bravia kdl-32w670a |
OW | BFV | BO4 | DESTINY 2

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #33 on: 07:53 AM - 01/04/19 »
But you're now doing what you're good at, related to what you love, yes?
It's taken decades to get there, but yes - I'm doing something I'm good at, in an industry that I love, for people who appreciate my help.

My decades of experience to date feels like an education rather than a career. I'm enjoying using my full skillset without being cokc-blocked by know-it-all clients, insufficient budgets or unachievable deadlines.

The difference between working for clients and truly working for yourself is a higher sense of purpose. It's far more rewarding to own the outcome.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline ƑȒƐƐĿǾ

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 06:19 PM - 01/04/19 »
I do nothing

Offline TheycallmeDee

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 09:45 PM - 01/05/19 »
Own a pest control company. Not glamorous, but pretty profitable.
"It feels like my hand is connected directly to the screen."

Offline bdm214

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 02:25 PM - 01/08/19 »
I am a Recovery Coordinator at an University

Offline RML

• MVP
  • Live Different
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 04:17 PM - 01/08/19 »

Offline Jamesbone

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: FlexNup
  • PSN ID: Flexnitup
« Reply #38 on: 10:21 PM - 01/08/19 »

Boilermaker by trade, have worked on all the major LNG = liquefied natural Gas projects in Australia, on the worst rosters lol  4 weeks on 1 week off
Currently on a great roster 3 weeks on 3 weeks off , pay is great but sucks being away from family

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #39 on: 10:46 PM - 01/08/19 »

I'm confused...it's looks like you drop poison into a boiler, cause a chemical reaction to irradiate the liquid (or perhaps hit the turn speed limit), then convert it into urine.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 10:50 PM - 01/08/19 »
RML I hope you do that at Augustiner in Munich!
And I am a Butcher :D
Crusade atm: none

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #41 on: 11:01 PM - 01/08/19 »
Orthopaedics?

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 11:05 PM - 01/08/19 »
Head/Neck or Maxillofacial depending on country but only doing facial surgery reconstruction and plastics, dropped the dental part years ago.

I do wisdom teeth for friends though  ;D

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #43 on: 11:07 PM - 01/08/19 »
Sounds hard. And rewarding. I'll stick to the kiddy pool of life where it's nice and safe, and I can p!ss myself without anyone noticing.

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 11:12 PM - 01/08/19 »
Rewarding working with the patient but not monetary enough anymore, good times are over, never had them, would not do it again. 20 Years of training ultra high responsibility with bad salaries and then Government @#$% you over. My child I will tell her not to do it let another idiot do the job.