XIM Community

What do you do for a living?  (Read 2225 times)

Offline ceebs

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Captain_Minxley
What do you do for a living?
« on: 10:04 AM - 01/02/19 »
I've been reading and making posts in this forum for a few years now and have learned a huge amount from my fellow XIMmers. It's fair to say that if I hadn't joined the forum and read what OG members had posted, I'd have gotten so frustrated with my XIM4 that I probably would have binned it, so thank you.

I've also learned a bit about forum user's interests, background and even personalities, but it's rare that anybody shares what they do for a living. I know that Alan works with HID devices, that Anti runs his own business and I understand that ObsIV does something with electronics, but that's about it. So to celebrate my 1000th post, I thought it would be interesting to ask.

If you don't want anyone to know, then fair enough, I'll still enjoy your posts.

Only fair that I lead the way I guess. I'm a Learning and Development Manager for a Contact Center in London. I train Trainers, Quality Assessors and Managers to support call handlers. I'm also responsible for writing the business's annual L&D strategy.

So, what do you do for a living?
« Last Edit: 03:06 AM - 01/03/19 by ceebs »

Where's HL3?

XIM Apex, PS4 Pro with 1TB Crucial MX500, Allreli T9+, Swiftpoint Z, Aorus AMP500, Audio Technica ADG1X, SB X7, LG 27UD58.

MSI Z97i Gaming AC, Core i5 4690k, Corsair H100i, RTX 2070, 16GB Corsair Vengence DDR3, XFX ProSeries 750w, 3xAerocool Dead Silence, Cooltek W1, 2x500GB Samsung Evo SSDs, 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, 1TB WD HDD, Silverstone SST slot-load DVD, KustomPC braided cables. And if you've read this far, you too are a genuine geek, my friend!

Offline Au1d Yin

• MVP
    • View Profile
Re: What do you do for a living?
« Reply #1 on: 11:20 AM - 01/02/19 »
I sit with my feet up gaming all day long ... I'm well and truly retired and I don't envy you young uns  one little bit  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Verone-

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: Verone-
« Reply #2 on: 12:40 PM - 01/02/19 »
I do car cleaning & car detailing  :)

Offline RML

• MVP
  • Live Different
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02:46 PM - 01/02/19 »
I make Millions of people happy everyday for a living. Even OBsIV canít beat that! Lol...  8)

Offline N1TRO

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: xiiProG_NiTROiix
« Reply #4 on: 06:20 PM - 01/02/19 »
I make Millions of people happy everyday for a living. Even OBsIV canít beat that! Lol...  8)

Funny way of saying your a dealer 😂😂
Mainly play overwatch
Generally high master low gm ☺

Offline redacted

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08:03 PM - 01/02/19 »

lol yeah man, weird flex :P

Offline systole

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08:04 PM - 01/02/19 »
i'd sure like to visit london, like old cities and old history.
too many things, and i still cant find what i want...
coder long ago, model/animation, some security systems work for a big bank over here in the states, some engineering for some of the tech giants, culinary, coffee, drugs...
now? bartending and rockclimbing. theyre okay things.

Offline RML

• MVP
  • Live Different
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09:24 PM - 01/02/19 »

In a way.. there's some truth to that!

Offline N1TRO

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: xiiProG_NiTROiix
« Reply #8 on: 10:31 PM - 01/02/19 »
Shady rml lol
Mainly play overwatch
Generally high master low gm ☺

Offline parjn

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: DM
« Reply #9 on: 11:12 PM - 01/02/19 »
I work at a pharmacy, and I go to pharmacy school to become a pharmacist. Do they call pharmacists druggists or something like that in London?

Offline ceebs

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03:07 AM - 01/03/19 »
I work at a pharmacy, and I go to pharmacy school to become a pharmacist. Do they call pharmacists druggists or something like that in London?
We call them Pharmacists too. :)

Where's HL3?

XIM Apex, PS4 Pro with 1TB Crucial MX500, Allreli T9+, Swiftpoint Z, Aorus AMP500, Audio Technica ADG1X, SB X7, LG 27UD58.

MSI Z97i Gaming AC, Core i5 4690k, Corsair H100i, RTX 2070, 16GB Corsair Vengence DDR3, XFX ProSeries 750w, 3xAerocool Dead Silence, Cooltek W1, 2x500GB Samsung Evo SSDs, 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, 1TB WD HDD, Silverstone SST slot-load DVD, KustomPC braided cables. And if you've read this far, you too are a genuine geek, my friend!

Offline ceebs

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03:10 AM - 01/03/19 »
i'd sure like to visit london, like old cities and old history.
too many things, and i still cant find what i want...
coder long ago, model/animation, some security systems work for a big bank over here in the states, some engineering for some of the tech giants, culinary, coffee, drugs...
now? bartending and rockclimbing. theyre okay things.
London's a great place to visit, but it's just another huge city if you live here. Residents rarely go sightseeing: I'd been here four years before I bothered going inside St Paul's cathedral!

Where's HL3?

Offline ceebs

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03:11 AM - 01/03/19 »
I do car cleaning & car detailing  :)
Do you live near me? My car is desperately in need of some love.

Where's HL3?

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #13 on: 04:53 AM - 01/03/19 »
<cue instrument="violin">
I've been in web design and development for the last 22 years. That sounds ridiculous in my head as 1997 doesn't seem that long ago. I started as a HTML cutter and entry-level designer while studying IT at university, before ditching the degree (web stuff wasn't taught back then) to learn on the job and moved into web project management a year or so later. The next few years went into web production management at a number of ad agencies, before freelancing as a web producer in the early 00's until the end of last year.

I enjoy the creative and problem-solving aspects of web dev, but freelancing is frequently a hard and unrewarding slog. I chose the freelance path to support my then girlfriend and now wife's career, which involved a lot of travel (she's a triple Olympian, Commonwealth Games Gold Medalist and Record holder, was robbed of Olympic Gold by three convicted Russian drug cheats...we're still hopeful of getting the medal). After she retired from sport, we spat out a bunch of kids and I stuck with freelancing to share in the child-rearing duties while she returned to work as a paediatrics physio.

Flexibility over how I spend my time is fantastic, but it comes at a financial cost. The bulk of my work revolved around ecommerce web development and I made other people wealthy in the process. But over the last few years, automation from SaaS sites like Shopify and Squarespace has all but killed the small business web dev market, making guys like me redundant and my future was looking bleak. I remained the last man standing of my colleagues from the past two decades and kept afloat entirely due to securing client retainers and passive income streams very early in my career.

A couple of years ago I decided to stop working for other people. Instead, I wanted to build a couple of ecommerce businesses for myself - selling products is significantly easier than selling yourself at an hourly rate. It's cost me a truckload of time and money, but I wear many hats and can do every part of website design, development and marketing myself, so it's starting to bear fruit.

As of last December, I'm the Australian distributor for XIM Technologies and ConsoleTuner products at https://modsquad.com.au, with a few more distribution deals coming down the pipe. There's still a long way to go to get to where I want to be, but things have kicked off with a bang.

For me, XIM not only changed how I play my games, it's moved my life in a better, more rewarding direction. I've been obsessed with video games for 40 years and I'm finally doing work that I truly love and getting paid to do it. I have enormous respect for OBsIV, mist and Od1n and the work they do around here. The same goes for Jefferson over at ConsoleTuner. I plan to live up to those high standards in my dealings with the Aussie gaming community.
</cue>
« Last Edit: 05:04 AM - 01/03/19 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline cyraxro

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: CyraxRO
« Reply #14 on: 05:01 AM - 01/03/19 »
Software developer (mainly Java) in Romania, Bucharest.