XIM Community

Might switch back to controller  (Read 506 times)

Offline SwipeFPS

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Classified.
Might switch back to controller
« on: 04:46 AM - 12/19/18 »
 XIM apex has been a wonderful experience since I got it about 5 months ago. Iíve enjoyed it a lot but Iíve always been a controller player and it just seems like a hassle when it comes to switching games. When it comes to cod itís amazing and easy to set up but if I want to play a game like borderlands, Skyrim, red dead, or even fortnite i find my self spending hours to find settings that work for me for each game and itís just too much for me. I guess I just donít have patience for it but other then that I have enjoyed smackin kids in bo4 and ww2.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Re: Might switch back to controller
« Reply #1 on: 10:28 AM - 12/19/18 »
Sorry to hear about that. Is it the low maximum turn speed of those other games that's the issue?
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline RML

• MVP
  • L1vE DiFfeR3nT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02:31 PM - 12/19/18 »
Sorry to hear about that. Is it the low maximum turn speed of those other games that's the issue?

I don't think this is his issue. Sure the turn speed isn't ideal compared to COD, but it's still easier to aim with all of those games using a XIM.

I believe his issue is game setup, strange mechanics that require Advanced Settings to make the game more enjoyable. The use of an Aux delay and Aux configs to manage turn wheels etc. This is one of the reasons I'm really happy to see Aux finally getting some attention.

Most of this info can be found in the forum for those willing to seek it. It would be nice to see more of these types of threads getting sticky's though. IMO, your forum really needs a better way to keep track of threads that the community finds helpful. Some type of rating or up vote system. 
XXX | C:M$ | XIM APEX | Latest | BenQ 24" Monitor | Pad: Steel Series 9HD | Sony Nav | A: Sennheiser 650's/Mod mic/Sound Blaster X7 | M: G502 | D: 12,000 | P: 1000 | AAA Setup [on]

Anti Aim Assist curves for ANY Game - http://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=49063.0
BO4 Advanced Setup - https://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=71097.msg718710#msg718710
Destiny 2 Advanced Settings - https://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=56658.msg626940#msg626940

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #3 on: 03:35 PM - 12/19/18 »
Ultimately with some console look mechanics, you just can't polish a turd. It's the games, not the XIM.

It's easy enough to make mental adjustments without getting too fancy with Advanced Settings. But if you're good with a controller, many games aren't going to improve a great deal by using a mouse.

If I could hit the side of a barn using a pad, I'd use one for Skyrim, Red Read and Borderlands. I'm always going to be better with a mouse in my hand, so it's XIM every time.
Official Australian distributor for XIM Apex, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad

Offline SwipeFPS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03:43 PM - 12/19/18 »
I promise itís nothing to do with the device. Itís just some games have that really strange look mechanic thatís feels nice with a controller but weird with a XIM aka borderlands. I guess curves can fix this but donít have the patients to teach my self how to customize them for me which is my own fault. Iím probably just giving up playing on XIM on non fps games and just use a XIM for cod and stuff bc I really do overall enjoy the experience the apex gives me.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #5 on: 03:46 PM - 12/19/18 »
Likewise, I don't use my steering wheel to play Crash Bandicoot Racing :)

Use the right tool for the job, XIM isn't going to be the best fit for every game. But for those that click with XIM, there ain't nothin' better. I'm not exactly sure what I just said there with the double negative :o
Official Australian distributor for XIM Apex, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad

Offline N1TRO

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: xiiProG_NiTROiix
« Reply #6 on: 04:25 AM - 12/25/18 »
I stick with the rule of thumb that if the game is primarily an fps and I'm taking it seriously and competitively I will always use mkb but if it's a game against CPU or generally non competitive I will not. Likewise if the game is not aim reliant like FIFA or a racing game there really isn't a point.
Mainly play overwatch
Generally high master low gm ☺

Offline laforr77

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: swerve_gotti
« Reply #7 on: 01:19 PM - 02/15/19 »
I don't know if this is the exactly the same issue but one problem for me was trying to set up every game to have specific KBM buttons mapped to specific ACTIONS in each game. 

For instance:

Game 1 sets primary interaction button (i.e. open door) to Cross.
Game 2 sets primary interaction button (i.e. open door) to Square.

I would try to make my Mouse Forward button set to Cross in Game 1 and Square in Game 2.  But what this did is mean every time I switch games (or play a brand new game) I'd basically have to relearn the buttons (since the on-screen hints were then basically useless).

Now I'm trying to map my Mouse and Keyboard buttons to specific CONTROLLER buttons (rather than actions) across all games.

So in my previous example, I'd press Mouse Back button in Game 1 and Mouse Forward button in Game 2 (which is exactly how you'd transition from Game 1 to Game 2 with a controller). 

There's definitely a still a learning curve, but if you think of the XIM as a KBM-shaped controller, instead of what you would get from native KBM support, some of the concessions become easier to live with and transitioning between different games becomes a little easier.

Offline SwipeFPS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04:26 AM - 03/15/19 »
I ended up staying with my XIM I canít go back to controller I feel handicapped. I just love the XIM just wish mine wasnít falling apart will probably have to buy a new one soon.