XIM Community

[Q/A] Switched from Console to PC, Xim feels completely different, please help!!  (Read 350 times)

Offline Nicktyler222

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: z00g4ng
Curious if anyone else has made the switch to a PC when using a XIM. I recently gathered up enough to splurge on a gaming PC, and not wanting to take on the hassle of learning truer MnK, I plugged my apex right in and everything worked.

My problem is it just doesn't feel right. THE WORST ISSUE, hands down, is there seems to be some sort of dead zone, way more than I felt on a console. for instance, I move my mouse in a small increment and the crosshair doesn't move, or if it does it stutters a bit.

As a temp fix, I've increased the first point of my ballistics curve to nearly 1.10, however, this causes a bit on a floaty effect at the beginning of my mouse movement ... for reference, this was at about .20, IF ANY, on console.

I guess I'm just curious if there is a firmware update or something PC specific that could help make my apex feel a bit more natural like it felt on console. Maybe I have to revert to a previous firmware? any other suggestions to fix the dead zone issue would be greatly appreciated. So far I've tried the ballistics curve adjustment, increasing my xim sens, game sens, and adding boost.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Just wanted to say I know XIM was made for consoles and clearly its the transition to PC which caused this problem, just want to know if anyone else has had this experience. For reference, my main game is Fortnite.
« Last Edit: 09:45 AM - 12/18/18 by mist4fun »

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
That's expected because PC is not a supported platform. The controller look mechanics on PC may be different from the supported look mechanics on console. Beyond resolving the deadzone issue in the way you have shared APEX should be ran at 125hz when used with a PC game. Set the rate to 125hz, save, and reconnect APEX to the PC for the change to take effect. Beyond these two suggestions I'm sorry but I don't have other advice for improving the feel of a config for a PC game. I'm sure if there are possible improvements to be had the steps needed will vary between games.
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline Nicktyler222

• View Profile
That's expected because PC is not a supported platform. The controller look mechanics on PC may be different from the supported look mechanics on console. Beyond resolving the deadzone issue in the way you have shared APEX should be ran at 125hz when used with a PC game. Set the rate to 125hz, save, and reconnect APEX to the PC for the change to take effect. Beyond these two suggestions I'm sorry but I don't have other advice for improving the feel of a config for a PC game. I'm sure if there are possible improvements to be had the steps needed will vary between games.

Okay I'll lbe sure to do that and thank you for the reply. Would you mind explaining in short why 125hz is optimal on PC?

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Obsiv would need to comment on the technical reasons but from what I recall the method used by APEX's Response Rate feature is tailored for the consoles. Using APEX on PC with higher rate than 125hz can cause timing issues which negatively affect performance. You may experience things like delayed movement or jitter.

Offline Nicktyler222

• View Profile
Obsiv would need to comment on the technical reasons but from what I recall the method used by APEX's Response Rate feature is tailored for the consoles. Using APEX on PC with higher rate than 125hz can cause timing issues which negatively affect performance. You may experience things like delayed movement or jitter.

Just reporting back, 125hz feels even worse, longer input lag and floaty feeling. Went back to my old settings. I'll have to get used to the tricky deadzone issue no biggie!

Offline alanmcgregor

• MVP
    • View Profile
For the love of God, man up and use native mouse and keyboard.  ::)
XIM APEX + Titan Two
PS4 Pro - ASUS VG245H 24" - Astro A40 TR MixAmp - Yeyian Spark Keyboard - e-Sports Ventus R - Zowie G-SR

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Asking for XIM support on PC is like asking for Tesla Model S support for dirt track racing. Yeah, you can take a Tesla off-road, but it's not built for it, so the experience will be poor.

Stick to the road, or use tools built for the job. XIM is made for console gaming, not PC.

Go native m/kb in Windows, the look mechanics are completely different, so the XIM feels completely different...makes sense.

Official Australian distributor for XIM Apex, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM Apex demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline Nicktyler222

• View Profile

I've literally never used a keybaord to game and I didn't ask for your self-righteous opinion. It is uncomfortable and I don't want to take the weeks of practice it will take to master MnK so no, I won't.

Offline Nicktyler222

• View Profile
Asking for XIM support on PC is like asking for Tesla Model S support for dirt track racing. Yeah, you can take a Tesla off-road, but it's not built for it, so the experience will be poor.

Stick to the road, or use tools built for the job. XIM is made for console gaming, not PC.

Go native m/kb in Windows, the look mechanics are completely different, so the XIM feels completely different...makes sense.

I understand, again though, I'm not asking for full PC support. I was just asking if there was anything else I could do to better enhace the experience until I make the switch to my G13 and native support, that's all.

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Another thought, try the other console's version of fortnite support and account for the deadzone using a curve. Or you could try using the Generic Alpha config with expert mode enabled. With your mouse sensitivity at 1.0 raise the first ballistics curve position up until the deadzone is removed. Once the deadzone is removed dial in your sensitivity and make other config changes if needed. Generic Alpha can be found at the bottom of the new game list with expert mode enabled.

Offline Nicktyler222

• View Profile
Another thought, try the other console's version of fortnite support and account for the deadzone using a curve. Or you could try using the Generic Alpha config with expert mode enabled. With your mouse sensitivity at 1.0 raise the first ballistics curve position up until the deadzone is removed. Once the deadzone is removed dial in your sensitivity and make other config changes if needed. Generic Alpha can be found at the bottom of the new game list with expert mode enabled.

That sounds interesring, I never knew about that. So I actually tried Battlefield V and was able to relieve the problem using the in-game deadzone settings so fortunately it seems to be a fortnite specific issue, or at least any game that doesn't offer such customizable options when it comes to stick deadzones.

Looking forward to the generic alpha config when I get home from the holidays and will report back if progress is made, thanks again mist!

Offline alanmcgregor

• MVP
    • View Profile

I've literally never used a keybaord to game and I didn't ask for your self-righteous opinion. It is uncomfortable and I don't want to take the weeks of practice it will take to master MnK so no, I won't.
Self-righteous ? LOL, this means underneath you have some shady reasons to use XIM on PC, I never implied that.

Let's say that you prefer the Builder Pro layout from consoles

Keep in mind this:
+ Direct slot selection is way better for combat
+ MnK PC players doesn't have a build throttle, meaning they will build faster always that someone who has a controller as input(XIM).
+ MnK PC players doesn't have turn-speed limit
+ MnK PC players doesn't have to deal with a sub-par aim/look due of a lopsided deadzone
+ Aim Assist is very network dependent (if you have a poor/unstable ping), you will do better by just aiming by yourself. You can see on this forums countless threads on this matter, feeling aim assist not working or something off with aiming, wrongly blame it on the ST most of the times.

Just saying as former Fortnite Player on PC coming from consoles, there is many drawbacks you have to deal with it.

Adopting the PC controls will be better in the long run.
XIM APEX + Titan Two
PS4 Pro - ASUS VG245H 24" - Astro A40 TR MixAmp - Yeyian Spark Keyboard - e-Sports Ventus R - Zowie G-SR

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Wanting to use a XIM on PC is not necessarily shady. I'd use a XIM for PC Fortnite simply for the more compact and configurable bindings.

There are way too many keyboard binding options in FN, many of them with seemingly duplicate functionality. It's a confusing dog's breakfast compared to the simplicity and clarity of controller / XIM bindings.

Regardless, we're not here to judge other peeps motives. Live and let live - using a XIM on PC is harmless.

Official Australian distributor for XIM Apex, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM Apex demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts