XIM Community

USB Sharing Hub/Switch  (Read 153 times)

Offline sewox

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: sewo_1x
USB Sharing Hub/Switch
« on: 03:51 AM - 12/02/18 »
Dear folks,

I am using my computer and PS4 on the same screen. In addition Iím using 2 keyboards and mouses , one set for each device.

Do you have any experience with a good USB sharing hub or switch?
I think I need at least 4 ports:
-   Keyboard
-   PS4 controller
-   Mouse
-   Headset (Sony Gold Wireless headset)

My idea is just to change the device via toogle switch. So the USB hub is always connected to computer and PS4 at the same time.

Thanks advance!
Kind regards,
sewox

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
Re: USB Sharing Hub/Switch
« Reply #1 on: 03:37 PM - 12/04/18 »
There are numerous USB switches that work (e.g IOGear, Aten, UGreen), but your setup won't work as described.

1. Leave your headset on a separate console USB port, it won't work through Apex via a switch.
2. Leave the controller attached to Apex at all times, or you'll get disconnects when switching.

What you want to do is put the mouse & keyboard only on a USB switch. Controller stays on the Apex USB hub. Plug the switch into the Apex USB hub.

If your headset works through the Apex (I'd be surprised if it did), leave that on the Apex hub too.

Also know that Windows 10 doesn't like to swap a keyboard back and forth - it'll stop recognising the device after a few swaps. The only proven solution is to reboot Windows. This is random, it affects some of us (myself included) but not others, but it seems to always be the keyboard having problems.

This is not a problem on macOS - I can sway from Xim to Mac to Xim until the cows come home, which further implies the issue lies with Win10, not Xim.

Offline sewox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05:27 AM - 12/06/18 »
Thanks for your help. UGREEN switch is working.

If your headset works through the Apex (I'd be surprised if it did), leave that on the Apex hub too

For that I think here's some to improve. XIM needs more support for standard headsets, etc.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08:21 AM - 12/06/18 »
Xim supports chat through a controller connection, but not USB. It's a controller emulator and only passes controller input through to the console, so there's no room for improvement when it comes to USB headphones.

What you can do is plug Xim into a USB hub or switch and plug headphones into that. I use two switches in my setup - one to swap m/kb from Mac to Xim, the second to swap Xim, USB Bluetooth receiver and USB sticks between consoles.

Offline sewox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01:31 AM - 12/07/18 »
Xim supports chat through a controller connection, but not USB. It's a controller emulator and only passes controller input through to the console, so there's no room for improvement when it comes to USB headphones.

What you can do is plug Xim into a USB hub or switch and plug headphones into that. I use two switches in my setup - one to swap m/kb from Mac to Xim, the second to swap Xim, USB Bluetooth receiver and USB sticks between consoles.

Could you please post a photo of your setup? My problem is I wanna use the same headset with one dongle on PC and PS4.

Thanks in advance.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02:30 AM - 12/07/18 »
In your case, I'd use two separate switches for m/kb and audio -

1. m/kb > USB switch > Apex & PC
2. headphones > USB switch > console & PC

One USB switch output cable goes to the Apex USB hub, the other output cable goes to PC. As mentioned, controller stays on the Apex hub.

Keep the Apex on a separate console USB port from the headphones USB switch.

I'd recommend a UGreen USB 2.0 switch for m/kb, and a Sabrent 1-port USB 2.0 switch for the headphones to keep things simple and affordable.

UGreen - https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Selector-Computers-Peripheral-One-Button/dp/B01MXXQKGM
Sabrent - https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Computers-Peripherals-Indicators-USB-SW20/dp/B074TZKGVR

Offline sewox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09:14 AM - 12/09/18 »
In your case, I'd use two separate switches for m/kb and audio -

1. m/kb > USB switch > Apex & PC
2. headphones > USB switch > console & PC

One USB switch output cable goes to the Apex USB hub, the other output cable goes to PC. As mentioned, controller stays on the Apex hub.

Keep the Apex on a separate console USB port from the headphones USB switch.

I'd recommend a UGreen USB 2.0 switch for m/kb, and a Sabrent 1-port USB 2.0 switch for the headphones to keep things simple and affordable.

UGreen - https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Selector-Computers-Peripheral-One-Button/dp/B01MXXQKGM
Sabrent - https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Computers-Peripherals-Indicators-USB-SW20/dp/B074TZKGVR

Thanks for your help. UGreen (USB 3.0 version) already in use and Sabrent will be delivered on Tuesday.
Hope this will work fine.