XIM Community

Thanks OBsIV: Red Dead Redemption ST is Fix - New ADS Deactivation Delay Feature  (Read 5022 times)

Offline alanmcgregor

• MVP
    • View Profile
Hi OBsIV and XIM Team.

First of all, let me say that we (RDR2 XIMers) are very pleased what you achieve with this game aim/look mechanics. We were aware of Rockstar bad reputation on this regard and wasn't expecting miracles, even though you deliver an amazing ST that allows us to play this game that we have been waiting for 8 years.

However there is a big issue, that is hurting XIM performance and our gaming experience.

Issue:
There is important slowdown when changing between ADS to HIP.

This slowdown makes mouse unresponsive for more than a second, losing control of the aim/look, this hiccup hinders overall aim performance of the ST.

Slowdown doesn't exist by using a controller.

Causes:
Game is keeping the ADS look mechanic active until the gun is lowered(animation). This happens with all guns.

What we tried in order to make it work:
We tried many things before asking for your support.

The mainly issue is, ADS translator is much faster and different than HIP translator.

Using the HIP Translator only  (ADS sub-config disabled)
This makes the slowdown disappear but Aiming Down Sight with HIP translator is not working, barely moves the cross-hairs.

Using the ADS Translator for both HIP and ADS.
HIP is very jittery and pixel skipping, poor aiming performance.

Trying to match the true turn-speed solves the slowdown. After many test, it seems we came up with the ratio. However, in order to match HIP translator turn-speed with ADS translator we required to use a ADS sensitivity below 4, which makes again ADS way too slow, ballistics curves can't do much.

About game lock-on.

In case if you're not familiar with the game, it has a very strong lock-on to target. There is 4 lock-on modes: Normal, Wide, Narrow and Free-Aim. The first three allows the thumb-stick to stay on target and make a small move to aim to the head.

Free-Aim, is the proper aim mechanic for XIM (no aim assist, only precision). However, by using such a low ADS sensitivity is not usable or feasible. Dead-Eye (a core aim mechanic in the game) is also affected by this.

Possible Solution: HIP Activation Delay:
So what seems to be the solution is having either a ADS deactivation delay or HIP Activation Delay allowing to a proper ADS translator still be active while the lowering gun animation happens, once this animation finish, the HIP translators picks up to deliver a proper aim look.

I wrote a script to show how it works and potentially solves the slowdown issue.

Script emulates a ADS Deactivation Delay or HIP Delay, activating the HIP translator after 1000ms when exit ADS sub-config. You can see in my phone's HUD how it shows the a R key input (ADS activation key - toggle) after exiting Aiming Down Sight sub-config.

We know is only one game, a game many of us wait for long. Best selling game on this generation and with a very long life span.

Adding this feature will make XIM even better, and it be useful on other games too. Similar what it happen with the changes that Fortnite force and bring us SAB. We know you listen your community like when you bring back some features requested from XIM4.

So please, revisit this ST. I have no doubt you came up with a better solution.

We counting on you.

Thanks for your time and support.  :)

UPDATE: OBsIV quickly reply and support our request  :).
He introduce the ADS Deactivation Delay to fix this problem on the latest Beta.

Link: XIM APEX BETA [Firmware 20181204] [Manager 20181204]

« Last Edit: 02:04 PM - 12/13/18 by alanmcgregor »

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
I just got done adding an ADS Deactivation Delay. I'd like to send it to you to evaluate, but, as I see you are on an iOS device it'll take at least until next week for Apple to approve another TestFlight. If you have access to an Android device, then, we can do this, otherwise I'll need someone with an Android device that is familiar with this issue to provide feedback.
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline alucard_24

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: Alucard--28
I just got done adding an ADS Deactivation Delay. I'd like to send it to you to evaluate, but, as I see you are on an iOS device it'll take at least until next week for Apple to approve another TestFlight. If you have access to an Android device, then, we can do this, otherwise I'll need someone with an Android device that is familiar with this issue to provide feedback.

Hi,
I have an android device, I notified the same issue using the last beta/stable firmware and I can test it if you want.
Anyway you could post it here and everyone, having an android device, can test and provide a feedback.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Au1d Yin

• MVP
    • View Profile

I was hoping that you were maybe listening in on the other thread and working on something ... thank you for doing this OBsIV.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Yes I saw the talk of this on the forum prior to this thread. The feature is tricky because you need to consider how things act if you change ADS button state before the delay completes. Now that needs to be handled on deactivation and also if you have toggle enabled (not to mention if you are also using the additional deactivation keys too). Having feedback will help. I'll finish with the test builds today and send out a PM to those on here that say said they have an Android device.

Offline alanmcgregor

• MVP
    • View Profile
Awesome!,

Thank you very much for reply in such a short time.

OBsIV delivers, XIM Team got your back guys.

Whatever you need.

Unfortunately, I don't have an Android device at hand, going to see if I can get one (borrow or something).
OS Version should I use?

What about Windows PC Manager build?.

Offline The prodigy

• View Profile
Thank you so much OBsIV!  ;D

I can get my hands on an android device for testing aswell.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog

Sorry no time for that. Android is a really productive platform to develop on and test on. Unfortunately iOS (and even PC) isn't compared to it.

Offline Au1d Yin

• MVP
    • View Profile
Yes I saw the talk of this on the forum prior to this thread. The feature is tricky because you need to consider how things act if you change ADS button state before the delay completes. Now that needs to be handled on deactivation and also if you have toggle enabled (not to mention if you are also using the additional deactivation keys too). Having feedback will help. I'll finish with the test builds today and send out a PM to those on here that say said they have an Android device.

I guess if someone is right click/ left clicking multiple times very quickly between various targets that it must be difficult to get this just right ... thanks for putting the effort in, it's greatly appreciated :)

Offline alanmcgregor

• MVP
    • View Profile

Sorry no time for that. Android is a really productive platform to develop on and test on. Unfortunately iOS (and even PC) isn't compared to it.

Understandable no problem.  A friend borrow me his Android 6.0 tablet.

I miss mine dearly.

Ready.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Ok, I'll PM those on this thread (expect antithesis since I don't believe he has an Android device) with a private build -- you can comment about it here.

Offline The prodigy

• View Profile
Tested it for an hour.  Worked great.
Tried quickly tapping right click to see if it would bring up any issues and nope. It was really smooth.
Hopefully you can push this to testflight or release the IPA if possible so i can put it on my phone through cydia impactor.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Thanks for the feedback. The change made the code way more complicated than I'd like so I'm rewriting it to simplify it and also take the opportunity to add in a feature RML has been requesting for years.

Offline alanmcgregor

• MVP
    • View Profile
I couldn't wait until Monday, to I see my friend and get the device; bought a new Tablet today and tried on it.

After testing thoroughly.

Revolver, pistols, rifles, scope rifles... every gun on Read Dead Redemption WORKS!

Spamming ADS doesn't affects aim, aim stays smooth and cohesive.

Even on Battlefront 2 jumping out of a vehicle (high ballistic curve vehicle) back to hip HIP(Linear) doesn't get flickery or weird at all. Scopes on Battlefield V also feels great, blends aim.

You did it! is fix!,

Works way better than what I did with the script.

Thanks OBsIV for your support and hard work much appreciated.

Offline Timmie3054

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: Timmie 3000
Ok, I'll PM those on this thread (expect antithesis since I don't believe he has an Android device) with a private build -- you can comment about it here.

Hey, would it be possible If I can get a PM with this new build as well?

I've been playing lots of RDR2 with the Xim, more so since Red dead online released, I have been relying on scripts to try and counter this issue, but overall I really cant seem to rid this issue.

I am using a android btw;D. I will be glad to provide feedback, of course.