XIM Community

Xbox One X input lag fest...  (Read 2390 times)

Offline Santigold

• MVP
    • View Profile
Xbox One X input lag fest...
« on: 11:28 AM - 11/29/18 »
I bought Xbox X last year, after a few weeks I actually sold it, because I wasnt really playing any game on it. But Ive noticed it last year already (and posted about it here) that it has some noticable input lag, even with only the controller connected via USB cable directly to Xbox X.

Well this black friday it was so cheap that I bought it again for whatever reason. The BFV goldrush bundle special edition.

Now- last year Ive noticed an annoying input lag in COD WW2 on Xbox X compared to PS4 pro. This year I bought BO4 for both plattforms and wanted to compare graphics, server connections on both systems etc. And once again I notice a significant input lag on Xbox X.

I tested both with same cables, same monitor same everything and I can tell the input lag difference clearly, even with controllers connected via USB to the consoles, leaving the xim out of the equation.

Heres another thing- i have the xim4 which runs at 125 Hz and xim Apex set to 1000 Hz. On PS4 Pro, there is no noticable input lag whatsoever and i actually PREFER to play with the xim4 at 125 Hz vs 1kHz Xim Apex. On Xbox X, xim4 feels almost like rubberbanding. You can significantly improve the input delay on Xbox X, by using xim Apex @ 1000 Hz, basically brute force the console to communicate at 1000 Hz. But it doesnt solve the input lag completely. After playing with xim Apex @ 1000 hz and then going back to xim4 at 125 Hz again is feels very floaty and rubberband-ish in terms of input lag. You can feel it instantly.

On PS4 Pro as mentioned before- both work good XIM Apex @ 1000 Hz and xim4 @ 125 Hz, I actually prefer the xim4 on the PS4 Pro it works better for me personally.

Now some of you will start saying "oh no, I dont feel any input lag on my Xbox X... etc." yes, homeboy, thats because you dont have a super fast TN monitor and arent as susceptible to these levels of input lag as some others, who are FPS veterans.

I tried different combinations on Xbox X too- with "Freesync" enabled and "Freesync" disabled. To be honest with you, I will give you a pro tip- dont use Freesync on Xbox X. It makes the input lag even worse. Especially dont activate Freesync in games that manage to run at 60fps like 90+% of the time. Another game I tried on Xbox X is Wolfenstein. Yuu can switch in that game between dynamic resolution, that tries to hit the 60fps target, then u can select "aggressive dynamic resolution" that tries to hit the 60fps target even more consistently but reducing the dynamic resolution further down and then you can select a mode without dynamic resolution. And again, the input lag in Wolfenstein is huge, even slightly worse than in BO4. It gets even worse in Wolfenstein if you enable Freesync on your monitor in that game and select the graphics mode without dynamic resolution. It is straight rubberbanding and floatyness.

Heres why I think there is such a noticeable ammount of input lag on the Xbox X. I think the way how the video drivers work on xbox are causing it. Or it is something in how their UI rendering system is working, most likely forcing "Vertical Sync ON" by default on absolutely everything- on every game and on their User Interface and so on.

I have also noticed a big input delay in backwards compatible titles and have seen others talk about it. We know that microsoft forces Vsync ON in the back compat titles. But thats not the only input lag. There is some base input lag in all applications and games. I played RDR1 back compat game and the input lag was unbearable to be perfectly honest with you.

With how many features Microsoft introduced (most of which are mostly gimmicks and are actually worse than having them turned off- best example Freesync), it is easy to mess up something in the process. Which is exactly what we have on Xbox right now. There is some noticable base input lag, present in every single game that Ive tested. I prefer the PS4 approuch more to be absolutely honest. They have fewer options, but they work 100% as intended and nothing is messed up in the process of implementing 48 settings to chose from.

I really really hope that the PS5 has the same graphics drivers as the ps4, without any input lag. Because all those improved graphics on Xbox X are worthless to me, if the base input lag is so noticable and annoying as it is on Xbox One X.

Bottom line of the TL-DR: if you only own an Xbox and have a xim4, make yourself a favour and upgrade to the XIM Apex @ 1000 Hz, because it is a huge improvement in terms of input lag over the xim4 @ 125 Hz. You can very effectively compensate the annoying base input lag on Xbox X with an Apex, but it doesnt solve the issue completely. On the ps4(pro) on the other had- both xim4 and xim Apex work equally great, I even prefer the xim4 over apex on my pro.

Second bottom line is that having dozens of extra options doesnt really benefit anyone, if the overall picture gets worse because of it. It was like Microsoft was thinking: "lets throw everything and the kitchen sink at the wall and see what sticks" in order to create buzz on gaming news sites and social media.

They added Freesync support and it only properly works on few select monitors/tvs. It does get rid of tearing, but introduces significant -additional- input lag. They add KB/M support- which only works with 1-2 KB/M devices so far and will have separate matchmaking to keep KBM users away from Controller users, which reduces the player pool to be matched against even further and will have a big impact on connection quality. And with that big base input lag built into their graphics drivers/operating system, it will only cripple the KBM users and basically make it pointless using a KBM in the first place with this annoying input lag.

Whats the point of all that, it is like MS is trying to stay in headlines of gaming news sites and social media by bending backwards. And then those things either arent even worth using or at max. 0.2% of the playerbase will ever consider using those options like 120 Hz support, Freesync etc.

And that 120 Hz thing is another nonsense- with 60fps games, you will have constant stuttering. Barely visible/noticeable, but it will be there, ask on Blurbusters forums if you dont believe.

Having said that, I will add pictures to show you that I actually do own those devices and have extensively tested both. However, I will sell the Xbox X again, as I cant stand the base input lag it has everywhere with a passion and theres nothing I want to actually play on it. To be honest it was a questionable impulse purchase to begin with, but I knew I can sell it again without loss, so I though I wanna see the progress they made in 1 year with it, hoping it will be any useful. Which I found to be very disappointing. All those options are snake oil at best. They either dont make alot of sense in particular on consoles, or they have annoying trade-offs like adding extra input lag and so on. Really not actually worth using at the end of the day.
« Last Edit: 12:04 PM - 11/29/18 by Santigold »

Offline Santigold

• MVP
    • View Profile
Re: Xbox One X input lag fest...
« Reply #1 on: 11:57 AM - 11/29/18 »
Here you go ladies and gets, PS4 Pro CUH-7216B version, significant improvement in fan noise over 7000 and 7100 Pro versions. And also Xbox X Battlefield 5 Goldrush edition. It is a nice looking machine, well built and has great hardware inside. However the software side of things is unfortunately disappointing to say the least. That is the reason why I will ultimately sell it.

And if the next Xbox will sport the same annoying input lag in its Operating System- Im not buying that either.

https://imgur.com/a/JSAUxdE

Offline Retrospect

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06:33 PM - 11/29/18 »
I actually like the direction Microsoft has been heading as of late. If they can get more 1st party exclusive titles (which they are actively working towards with studio acquisitions) I think they have a good shot of regaining a strong foothold next gen. They seem to be learning from their mistakes from the past. I personally feel the xb1 launch was a disaster and regretted buying one. I have been out of gaming on console for a little over 4 years but couldn't resist 100$ off black Friday deal and just picked up a xim to go with it. I can't comment on the input lag as of right now, but I'll definitely be watchful for it while gaming.

Offline Phil Ashio

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07:18 PM - 11/29/18 »
Something on your end or possibly the way your display interacts with Xbox because generally games on Xbox have less input lag. While I didn't test the same wires I did test them using the wires that came with the systems and I tested them on the same monitor switching between HDMI and HDMI 2 while both systems were running. I even switched which console is connected into which HDMI channel just in case. Not only was the improved response instantly felt going from a PS4 Pro to an X1X but the smoothness to micro movements as well. The only time there was an issue with input lag was playing 360 games on X1X compared to the 360 but it seems like that's been improved with recent firmware updates. Also, and I don't know which games and modes you tested, don't forget that network lag can effect input response.

Try going into the video settings and instead of having the Xbox automatically detect your display input and resolution, do it manually. I know that the manual setting effects color so maybe it effects input response as well.

Offline matthewtas

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: matthewtas
« Reply #4 on: 08:37 PM - 11/29/18 »
Does the original xbox one have this unput lag?

Offline RML

• MVP
  • L1vE DiFfeR3nT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08:56 PM - 11/29/18 »
Funny thing is, for some reason I actually thought Phil started this thread. So for a few mins there I was actually scratching my head and trying to figure out wth you weíre talking about.

Then it hit me, it isnít Phil.. itís Souver. Then it all made sense.

As Phil stated above, the only issues are with backward compatible multiplayer games, and even thatís not too bad considering. The bigger issue is probably just the lobby makeup as the player base is small.

My only complaint about XXX isnít even the XXX fault. Itís Live! The skill level on live is just crazy sometimes. You have a few noobs but mostly solid players. I think the Elite controller and XIM have a lot to do with this. But man, Itís like 1/2 of every team is at comp level sometimes. I mean they just dont miss and itís often who shoots first.
XXX | C:M$ | XIM APEX | Latest | BenQ 24" Monitor | Pad: Steel Series 9HD | Sony Nav | A: Sennheiser 650's/Mod mic/Sound Blaster X7 | M: G502 | D: 12,000 | P: 1000 | AAA Setup [on]

Anti Aim Assist curves for ANY Game - http://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=49063.0
BO4 Advanced Setup - https://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=71097.msg718710#msg718710
Destiny 2 Advanced Settings - https://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=56658.msg626940#msg626940

Offline tepidblack

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05:17 AM - 11/30/18 »
Another day, another weird, rambling post with a distinct lack of objective proof on the XIM forums

Offline Phil Ashio

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08:32 PM - 11/30/18 »
Funny thing is, for some reason I actually thought Phil started this thread. So for a few mins there I was actually scratching my head and trying to figure out wth you weíre talking about.

Then it hit me, it isnít Phil.. itís Souver. Then it all made sense.

As Phil stated above, the only issues are with backward compatible multiplayer games, and even thatís not too bad considering. The bigger issue is probably just the lobby makeup as the player base is small.

My only complaint about XXX isnít even the XXX fault. Itís Live! The skill level on live is just crazy sometimes. You have a few noobs but mostly solid players. I think the Elite controller and XIM have a lot to do with this. But man, Itís like 1/2 of every team is at comp level sometimes. I mean they just dont miss and itís often who shoots first.

I would have thought the MP player base on X1X is small but I was surprised to find that some games actually seem to have a healthier player base than on PS4. For example, BF Hardline seemed dead last time I played it on PS4 while last week there were plenty of full servers even at night on Xbox. I'm sure the numbers are out there to prove my hypothesis wrong but I think most of the people getting Xbox are shooter fans while PS4 has a more varied player base. So even though PS4 might have a larger user base that doesn't necessarily mean it has a larger MP shooter fan base.

Offline RML

• MVP
  • L1vE DiFfeR3nT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08:40 PM - 11/30/18 »
Interesting, I think a lot of people also prefer the Xbox controller for shooters. Kinda makes sense.
XXX | C:M$ | XIM APEX | Latest | BenQ 24" Monitor | Pad: Steel Series 9HD | Sony Nav | A: Sennheiser 650's/Mod mic/Sound Blaster X7 | M: G502 | D: 12,000 | P: 1000 | AAA Setup [on]

Anti Aim Assist curves for ANY Game - http://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=49063.0
BO4 Advanced Setup - https://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=71097.msg718710#msg718710
Destiny 2 Advanced Settings - https://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=56658.msg626940#msg626940

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10:21 PM - 11/30/18 »
Another day, another weird, rambling post with a distinct lack of objective proof on the XIM forums

Well same I could say about you, like another day a XIM noob not knowing about whom he is talking about. For your information Souvers (Santigolds) "feel" has always been trusted as that feel made changes to the XIM. I think he was one of the guys who pressed to get 1ms delay on the Xim over the last 10 years.  He is a very very good player also and be sure if the console has lag, it will will throw his game off. So this thread is valid.

Would be nice if you could test versus an xbox one s and original Xbox.

Obsiv and Mist have you found a lag on the new Xboxes when making Smart Translators?

Here is another guy stating the X has lag:
https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/83ir2f/xbox_one_x_input_lag/
« Last Edit: 10:33 PM - 11/30/18 by roads »
RookCheck: Relax, no one is attacking you personally.

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11:32 PM - 11/30/18 »
Various reports on the net. Some say its not happening with V-sync off on Monitor so should not happen on TV? They dont have V-sync do they?

Offline Santigold

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05:04 AM - 12/01/18 »
Hey roads, nice to see you around again.

Thanks for taking your time and chiming in to educate some of the newer members who arent very well informed about forum members here, which I dont really blame them for, due to beeing a new member around here. But then again, they should also comment with some reservation because of the same very reason that theyre new around here.

Also thank you for providing the link to the reddit post Roads. After reading it, I have absolutely zero doubt left that there is some annoying input lag at the very least on Xbox X.

Heres a quote from that guys reddit post:

Edit: I've been searching the reddit and it seems like there are a few other people that have noticed similar issues. Strangely most of them seem to have started around 100 days ago. None of the threads have any sort of resolution. Just seems to be strange input lag out of nowhere with no explanation. I've tried another controller and its still really bad. 100% gets in the way of aiming at a competitive level. Guess I'll be returning it.

Edit #2: Some of what I'm experiencing could be related to the systemwide implementation of Vsync that the X uses. Using free sync might actually help a lot if you have a monitor that supports it. Guess I might hold onto mine until the update.

He basically draws the same conclusion as I have and its not my accout on reddit or anything like that.

Again- I have noticed it last year in November already, when I purchased my first Xbox X and I made a post on these forums too about it. If someone bothers to go through all the posts, you will certainly find it.

Now that I bought my 2nd Xbox X, hoping that theyve improved the OS and maybe got rid of the input lag, I was disappointed to find out that it is still not gone. Because of that I will sell the Xbox X again for the 2nd time.

And this assumption by the Reddit guy is incorrect:

Using free sync might actually help a lot if you have a monitor that supports it. Guess I might hold onto mine until the update.

I own a freesync monitor and it doesnt help. It even makes things worse, adds some additional input lag on top of the base input lag.

Anyways- my adventures with Xbox are done and I will be very very cautios and reserved in terms of buying the next Generation Xbox console. I would have to test it somewhere if they have fixed the input lag, before even considering buying it.

I dont think the tools that Mist or Obsiv use are good at figuring out input lag. It is most likely a camera that measures the position of the crosshair on a monitor at different mouse input speeds and then they try to compensate for positive/negative acceleration using an algorithm and measuring it via camera on the screen to match the starting point and the end point as closely as possible. So basically the tools they use arent very useful for measuring button-to-pixel delay times.

Again thank you for providin the reddit example roads, the reddit guy said he comes from a 144hz pc monitor background and is a rather competitive player, I have absolutely zero doubts now about the input lag on the X, not that I had many doubts to begin with, since I have never been wrong with such things in the past. But it kinda is satisfactory to see confirmation from other ppl on the same matter.

Heres just another random example from Sept. 2018:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EHUaYyZ-_w

The guy moves the analogue sticks on 2 controllers at the very same exact time. And you can see that the Xbox first of all has a noticable delay before the camera starts moving but then also when he stops moving the analogue sticks, the camera rotation on the PC stops INSTANTLY, while on the xbox it takes a few more frames before the camera rotation stops moving.. That is 100% what Ive noticed too.

Heres another thread about BO3 and Xbox with input lag:
https://blog.activision.com/t5/Black-Ops-3-General-Discussion/Xbox-one-Controller-Lag/td-p/9929892

Another user in that thread commented:

I've been having the exact same problem! I've tried almost everything to try and fix it but NOTHING WORKS. I've did the same thing as you by restarting my Xbox, but it only works for a game or two. I've even uninstalled the game and reinstalled it. I'm sure it's not my controller because I've tried three different controllers (all had same issue), it's not input lag because I have a BenQ gaming monitor with everything set up correctly, and it's not Bluetooth or other types of interference because I have tried wired.

Ppl who dont notice any lag are just not sensitive enough to these kind of small discrepancies.
« Last Edit: 05:30 AM - 12/01/18 by Santigold »

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05:15 AM - 12/01/18 »
There has to be a solution to this. Xbox is better for Xim in many other ways. I read over and over "Xbox this better" "PS4 worse in that" in Obsivs Posts.

THERE IS NO P IN XIM!

Offline Santigold

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05:40 AM - 12/01/18 »
Most of the complaints I found after a short google search seem to be from competitive / pc enthusiastic / hardcore users. And those are indeed the ones who can confidently notice a difference.

If a casual complains about input lag, the answer in most cases will be his TV with insane input lag. When hardcore players complain, it deserves more attention and should be investigated.

To be honest, I dont care what brand a console is, I care a bout the best experience, hence I wanted to try the Xbox X for the 2nd time and compare graphics to PS4 pro and so on. The graphical difference is rather small, but the input lag is a big downside for me.

I have owned 3 old ps4s (upgraded whenever a new hardware revision came out) and 2 PS4 Pros. And not 1 single time I had input lag issues with any of those devices. My brother owns a ps4 too and it also doesnt have any input lag, so that is a sample size of 6 ps4 that I have which all had zero input lag vs 2 xbox X consoles that I owned and had input lag with both.

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05:47 AM - 12/01/18 »
So you mean this inputlag the Xbox makes, does it add to the screen lag or is it just over the screen lag. Meaning if Screen has 30ms lag and xbox produces 40ms overall lag will be 40ms?
How much lag are we talking about here? 50? 100? 200? Whats your Estimate Santi?