XIM Community

xim2 stopped working after 4 days  (Read 1293 times)

Offline SurlyMoon

• View Profile
xim2 stopped working after 4 days
« on: 12:58 AM - 11/29/10 »
Received my prebuilt xim2 on Tuesday.

Followed the guide on the slip of paper that came with it. I did not disable integrity as I was used to Windows 7 64 asking me if I wanted to proceed with unsigned drivers.

Install went fine, calibration went fine, and I was up and blissfully playing after an hour of config tweaks.

Nothing has changed on my system since then. The cable hasn't even been unplugged.

Today, I launch like I always do (start up the 360, launch xim), the little controller window was showing my mouse/keyboard interactions like I expected. I had no reason to suspect anything wrong until I got into the game and realized that none of my button presses were being received by the 360.  It was then I noticed the "unable to connect to xim hardware code 401" listed on my xim ui.

I tried rebooting, and various combinations of cable plugging/unplugging.

I noticed that when I plug in the usb cable, I am not getting any additional device listed anywhere.

I uninstalled and tried the software from the site, instead of the version included on the disk. That didn't help. Stuck at calibration..

I then uninstalled, and followed the guide posted here: http://xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=3195.0  - Again, no success.

Calibration does not proceed. When I plug in the 360 cable, the usb device installation popup shows that a 360 controller drivers has been successfully installed. But there is no notification when I plug in the usb cable, and calibration just sits there.

I've tried anything relevant in the faq here: http://xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=4172.0

In looking through the forums, it looks like quite a few folk have had similar issues, and many seem to be finding soldering problems. Possibly a bad batch?

I haven't opened mine up to check, as I don't have a soldering iron to fix it anyways if that's the case.

Any thoughts?

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Re: xim2 stopped working after 4 days
« Reply #1 on: 01:10 AM - 11/29/10 »
No it's not a bad xim. This happens sometimes when you install without using the correct method. When you have it working on a windows 7 64bit machine and it stops working on the next reboot.. it's not a xim issue.. it's software. You can get it working again it's just troublesome. Plug in both usb cables and open your device manager. Right click on the 360 controller and xim360 or unknown device and uninstall the drivers. Next uninstall the software and follow the windows 7 tutorial word for word.

Make sure you boot in disabled signed drivers mode suggested at the beginning of the tutorial.
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline SurlyMoon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02:08 AM - 11/29/10 »
Alright, I'll give that a shot. I have previously uninstalled the device drivers as described, and uninstalled, and followed the guide to the T, but not in the order you've suggested.

As far as the rebooting goes though, my machine has been restarted since the first install, and xim still worked. And it hasn't been restarted since the last time it was running (to my knowledge).

I'll post here with results..   fingers crossed.

Offline SurlyMoon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02:19 AM - 11/29/10 »
Ok, so, under device manager, I have uninstalled the Xbox 360 Controller.

But there is no Xim 360 listed, and there is no "uknown device" hiding anywhere.

Proceeding with the windows tutorial anyways....

(ps, everything plugged directly in mobo usb slots, no hubs or front panel ports used)

Offline SurlyMoon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02:39 AM - 11/29/10 »
Plug in both cables - check
Device Manager > Uninstall Xbox 360  - check
Device Manager > Uninstall Xim360 - not found*
Uninstall Xim - check
Unplug both cables - check
Reboot mashing F8 - check
Disable Device Driver Signing - check
Plug in 360 USB, wait for driver install - check
Install Xim, at calibration, plug in white usb cable - fail

So, I get that far, and Calibration sits there. Waited 4 mins or so.

When I plug in the grey usb, I get no detection that I can find. No unknown usb, nothing.

Just gave this a try on my wifes Windows 7 x32 machine (it's nowhere near the xbox, so hadn't considered it yet), and I'm stuck at Calibration on that one too.

Getting to use this for a few days was such a tease. I don't know if I can ever go back now :)

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03:24 AM - 11/29/10 »
Would you be able to open the controller and check this area for a broken or loose connection?

Offline SurlyMoon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01:19 AM - 12/02/10 »
Ok, so I finally got back to this... (stupid work, always getting in the way of fun)

So, I gave it a shot on a crappy little XP netbook. Like both of the Win 7 machines, at the calibration time, I can plug in the black usb and watch windows detect the controller, but when I plug in the grey one, nothing happens, and Calibration just sits there.

So, on your advice, I opened it up to check the soddering. From what I can see (I took a pic and can post if necessary), everything looks fine. I tried wiggling the wires a wee bit, and they were firmly in place, and it doesn't look like there is any sodder touching places it shouldn't.

So, I put it back together, and brought home my work laptop, running XP SP3. Same thing as before, I plug in the black, watch the notices saying controller detected. But this time when I plug in grey, I watch the XIM 360 actually get detected!

So, I take it back to my wife's Win 7, and it now shows up there.

I take it back to my Win 7 x64, and it shows up there, and Calibration completes successfully. I had a few rounds of Black Ops to prove that it's still working, and so far so good.

Now, what concerns me, is that something is obviously a touch wonky here, if it suddenly starts working again. I'm a bit concerned that it will randomly stop. What do you think I should do? How long does the exchange policy stand for?

Thanks for all the help.

Offline SurlyMoon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01:23 AM - 12/02/10 »
Hmmm, looks like Hodnick and MrBlonde have had similar issues?

The sodder on mine looks similar to Blonde's, in that two of the points are very close, just a thin black line between them...

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11:50 AM - 12/02/10 »
There is a possibility that when the controller shell is screwed together it may flex the controller pcb causing those two points to touch each other. I have no idea why the build team would let units go out looking the way they did. It looks as if they placed a thin piece of paper between those two points and just dumped solder in that area. If you're concerned you can contact "shippingguy" on this forum with your concerns.

Rereading your first post that issue always occurs when you install wrong so that is very common and normal. It takes a few attempts to get all of the kinks worked out. However there is no reason why you should have any issues at all installing on a windows xp sp3 machine.

Offline SurlyMoon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04:58 PM - 12/20/10 »
Well, I'm sad to report, after it working flawlessly for a solid two weeks, it has stopped functioning twice on me. Both times, I have simply opened it up, and put it back together to get it to work again. I snapped a picture to show the sodder. (img attached to post)

I have a theory: it looks like the controller was put back together two quickly, and the plastic support on the underside of the top of the controller, squished the the sodder. You can see quite clearly the circular depression in it. I noticed another users posted screenshot kinda looks similar: http://xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=7279.msg78033#msg78033

So - I'm 99% sure this is the issue. So, how difficult is something like this to resodder? I don't own a soddering iron, but I did do a tiny bit of soddering back in my highschool days (..  a while ago .. ). Being in Canada, I'd probably get nailed with duty for a replacement unit, so the cost is probably equal to buying a sodder kit.

Any advice?

Thanks again for all the support.

Offline Threewheels

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06:25 PM - 12/20/10 »
someone mentioned before that on the inside of the case, directly above where those solder spots are, there is a plastic ring or circle that actually touches the solder when screwed together.  You can see the semi-circular pattern on the center two solder spots in your pic, where it's pressed down on the solder joints and mushed them together.

open up the controller again, and see if you can sand down that protrusion, or maybe use a utility knife to trim it.  that may do the trick.

I highlighted the area I'm talking about:
« Last Edit: 06:35 PM - 12/20/10 by Threewheels »

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06:33 PM - 12/20/10 »
Yes try to sand down or cut that plastic peice out. However it may be too late for that as your solder joints are almost touching. If you do plan to solder this it's actually an easy fix. You need to purchase a $7 soldering iron 25-30 watt if I remember correctly. I recommend watching youtube tutorials and practicing on any old electronics you have.. sound cards, motherboards, video cards (anything will help). When the iron is hot (5-10 minutes) and you touch it to the solder points the solder will be pulled towards the iron. The idea is to seperate the two points with this method without holding the iron to the pcb board and damaging it.