XIM Community

XIM2 Cartridge Slot.  (Read 3222 times)

Offline 1nfinitum

• View Profile
XIM2 Cartridge Slot.
« on: 09:23 PM - 07/18/08 »
From what I've seen so far of the XIM2, the solder points are quite like that of a game cartridge, or even a ribbon cable.  Using the same concept do you think we could create a female adapter that the XIM and any future versions could plug into in order to eliminate the need to re-solder wires if one were to ever upgrade from their initial XIM?

This could also offer a simpler method for those who would like to purchase the controller seperate (they can purchase one with an XIM adapter from a builder) and purchase the DIY XIM from the site and have very minimal soldering.

The only question is how to get 5V and G setup for easy install.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Re: XIM2 Cartridge Slot.
« Reply #1 on: 09:12 AM - 07/19/08 »
Yes, it does look like a little cartridge, doesn't it. :)

That's a good idea (the slot) and we considered that, but, there is such little space in the controller that there wasn't a way to make it fit given the hardware we had available to us.
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline 1nfinitum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09:18 AM - 07/19/08 »
Suppose you could make it similar to any other cartridge, put a protective casing on, and mount the slot on the back in the empty space where the battery would be if it were a wireless controller?  It doesn't have to be internal.  I can only imagine this is how you're testing each unit to ensure that they work properly?

Offline derektm

• View Profile
    • Derektm.com
« Reply #3 on: 08:43 PM - 07/20/08 »
Even the thinnest connectors just will not fit. The controller will not go back together.

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
  • Xim360 Tester. All Hail Xim360!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11:03 PM - 07/23/08 »
Yes, it does look like a little cartridge, doesn't it. :)

That's a good idea (the slot) and we considered that, but, there is such little space in the controller that there wasn't a way to make it fit given the hardware we had available to us.

I spent alot of time talking to you and Derek about that, it sounds awesome but the room - there aint much in there to work with!
Happy Xim360 tester (former)

Gamertag ii TR00F ii
That's 2 i's a space a TR then 2 zero's an F then a space then 2 more i's.

Offline 1nfinitum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06:04 AM - 07/24/08 »
Quality Control will be done with a controller fit with one of these, no doubt?  Still, even if there is no room, that doesn't mean it can't be an external thing, sort of like a memory card or something.  It wouldn't be very space consuming either.  It could be placed where a battery pack typically is on a wireless controller and the XIM PCB would be parallel with the controller PCB, with protective covering of course.  I say it's not that far-fetched of an idea, especially for the future.  When Pre-Built units become more common and the XIM becomes more popular, it would be a great way to polish the product into something marketable, and give it a fancy little gimmick.

Now I'm getting another idea.. :o  How's about an on-board memory chip for saving profiles for use on the go.  Say you want to go play at a friends house but you want to use a mouse and keyboard but you can't bring a laptop.  Upload all your favorite configs to the XIM for transportation (and safe keeping) so you can plug in to your friends PC and play on the go.

Offline OMGsus

• Administrator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: OMGsus
  • PSN ID: OMGsus
« Reply #6 on: 02:40 PM - 07/24/08 »
Quality Control will be done with a controller fit with one of these, no doubt?  Still, even if there is no room, that doesn't mean it can't be an external thing, sort of like a memory card or something.  It wouldn't be very space consuming either.  It could be placed where a battery pack typically is on a wireless controller and the XIM PCB would be parallel with the controller PCB, with protective covering of course.  I say it's not that far-fetched of an idea, especially for the future.  When Pre-Built units become more common and the XIM becomes more popular, it would be a great way to polish the product into something marketable, and give it a fancy little gimmick.

Now I'm getting another idea.. :o  How's about an on-board memory chip for saving profiles for use on the go.  Say you want to go play at a friends house but you want to use a mouse and keyboard but you can't bring a laptop.  Upload all your favorite configs to the XIM for transportation (and safe keeping) so you can plug in to your friends PC and play on the go.

Derek has a custom rig for QC testing. As I understand it,  a slot at that pitch needs to be 100% custom.

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12:48 PM - 08/20/08 »
Battery compartment, custom connectors, - people will understand when they put the board on the back of the controller and shave the plasic piece off to get it to fit, you will realize how small it it is in there. The challenge is getting the back cover back on, which isn't hard if you are not sloppy.

Gamertag ii TR00F ii

Offline Snow

• Master of Radiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02:58 PM - 08/20/08 »
I'm actually making a piggyback mod for my controller. Instead of loose wires, I want to use a ribbon cable (that splits up to the connections on the controller board). The unplit end goes into a custom connector that I'm fabbing. It uses a protective case that is a bit larger than the battery case on a wireless. To test, I'll be using a dummy board - definitely not going to wreck the real one if the setup fails. This mod will only require a small cut in the controller casing for the ribbon cable to fit through. The rig, to hold and connect the board and the protective case can be attached using longer screws for 3 of the holes. Also, instead of a second USB cable sticking out, I'm rather attaching a USB jack to the rig, then any usb cord can be used and removed, when I just want to use it as a controller. It's already distracting enough with one cord. This mod may take me weeks and if I have satisfactory results, I'll post pics and a how-to guide for those interested in a piggyback mod. Otherwise, I will just connect the board the default way - inside the controller. Wish me luck.
"Evil will always triumph, because Good is dumb" - Dark Helmet

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09:16 PM - 08/20/08 »
Snow, be sure to post progress pictures. You have me interested now.
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11:50 PM - 08/20/08 »
I'm actually making a piggyback mod for my controller. Instead of loose wires, I want to use a ribbon cable (that splits up to the connections on the controller board). The unplit end goes into a custom connector that I'm fabbing. It uses a protective case that is a bit larger than the battery case on a wireless. To test, I'll be using a dummy board - definitely not going to wreck the real one if the setup fails. This mod will only require a small cut in the controller casing for the ribbon cable to fit through. The rig, to hold and connect the board and the protective case can be attached using longer screws for 3 of the holes. Also, instead of a second USB cable sticking out, I'm rather attaching a USB jack to the rig, then any usb cord can be used and removed, when I just want to use it as a controller. It's already distracting enough with one cord. This mod may take me weeks and if I have satisfactory results, I'll post pics and a how-to guide for those interested in a piggyback mod. Otherwise, I will just connect the board the default way - inside the controller. Wish me luck.

Trust me, once you install the xim board in the controller, you will be happy it's done with and will never want to open it ever again. Ever. hehe.Trust me I know!

Gamertag ii TR00F ii

Offline Snow

• Master of Radiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09:49 AM - 09/19/08 »
So, unfortunately I abandoned my piggyback mod and also solderless connectors. Even though, what I had designed was small enough, all the connections were poor. I also found that the 2 slots I made for the board - despite my best efforts, had just enough travel or the ability to turn slightly by 0.25mm - which would result in bridging multiple connections on the board - which would wreak havoc. The only thing I did keep from my original plan was the USB jack. That is already nicely installed on the rear cover. It's a type B connector. The cable plugs in quite nicely.

I really wish I could have made a successful solderless mod - but, for optimal connections - soldered leads are way better anyway. I think even with jeweller's tools and skills - making a solderless rig would be difficult. Plus, even though I would like to display the board years later, what would the point be of displaying an unsoldered board? It's like old vintage motorcycles. I'm a biker and find more worth in a vintage bike that is still being ridden, instead of being rebuilt and then collecting dust in a showroom. A bike that was ridden and is still ridden since the day it was built has a history - of different owners, places it's been. That's where I find worth - not monetary or rarity, etc. So I guess the point is, my xim will be used and used until it's too old to work anymore, then I'll (if I'm still living) the entire controller with it on display in my room of doom. :)
"Evil will always triumph, because Good is dumb" - Dark Helmet