How aim assist works  (Read 1729 times)

Offline ceebs

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: ceebs_63
  • PSN ID: Captain_Minxley
How aim assist works
« on: 11:39 AM - 11/20/18 »
Iíve read lots of posts on this forum over the years, about the benefits and drawbacks of aim assist. Iíve also noticed that many forum members are ill-informed as to how AA works, so I thought Iíd just make a quick post to explain.

There are several types of aim assist implemented in First-Person Shooters, but the two that get discussed most on this forum are Slowdown and Autorotate.

Aim assist slowdown kicks in when you are stationary. It lowers the controller's sensitivity temporarily when your cursor is on target, in order to keep the reticle there whilst your opponent is moving. This is necessary with an analogue stick as it's difficult to make tiny, precise movements with one.
This area of decrease in sensitivity extends outside the character hitbox in order that the controller movement slows down as it approaches the character model, making it easier to get on target, rather than just assisting in staying on target. This area of effect is commonly referred to as the AA Ďbubbleí. Because the controllerís sensitivity drops as soon as you enter the bubble, you then have to move your mouse faster to get on target. This is not intuitive and can therefore feel as though the mouse is stuck in the bubble. This negative effect is most noticeable if you are trying to get your cross-hairs on to a target that is moving away from your reticle to the left or the right.

Aim assist autorotation pulls your reticle toward a target slightly if your cross-hairs are within the bubble and both you and your target are moving. Whilst this sounds great, if another enemy moves between you and your target, or is close to your target but moving faster, aim assist will try to move you toward the new target, forcing you to fight the effect if you want to stay on the first opponent.

Both types of AA are common in CoD (the game that I play the most). Neither type will lock onto your target: both require you to aim, but they will often assist you in doing so. However, they will also hinder your aim in some situations, which is why there are so many posts on this forum about anti aim assist Ballistic Curves.

If you already knew all of this, apologies for teaching you to suck eggs. If you didnít, hope it helps.

Where's HL3?

XIM Apex, PS4 Pro + Crucial MX500 1TB, Xbox Series X, Allreli T9+, Swiftpoint Z, Aorus AMP500, AKG K702, Creative Sound Blaster X7, iFi Zen DAC v2, iFi Zen CAN, Eve Spectrum 4K 144Hz.

LIAN LI A4 H2O, ASRock Z690M-ITX/ax, Intel Core i5 12400, EK-AIO Basic 240, Crucial 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 2TB, Crucial MX500 1TB, KFA2 RTX 3080 SG, Cooler Master V850 SFX Gold and if you've read this far, you too are a genuine geek, my friend!

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Re: How aim assist works
« Reply #1 on: 04:20 PM - 11/20/18 »
That's BS mate, it's totes an aimbot! Using a Xim with AA is hacks!!!1!

IMHO, the slowdown exists so controller users can pull hard to get on-target, then not need to adjust thumb position to stay on-target.

The issue for Xim users is we can get on-target pretty easily using a mouse, but AA conspires against us by making us push harder to get through the slowdown effect. That can result in over or undershooting, which we can't afford to do in a fast TTK game.

The best games to test for AA slowdown are Destiny or Destiny 2 while navigating the map and aiming at a planet. You can easily feel the AA bubble, it's like you hit the planet's atmosphere.

Autorotation at times can feel like an aimbot as it moves the reticle automatically towards the target once you get close to the hitbox, but then the AA bubble kicks in and screws with our aim again.

All I can say is thank the floaty sky deity for Steady Aim, it makes a substantial difference to clean up hitbox entry without entirely neutering the benefit of AA.
« Last Edit: 04:40 PM - 11/20/18 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for
XIM NEXUS, XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline Pyyl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08:11 PM - 11/20/18 »
Iíve read lots of posts on this forum over the years, about the benefits and drawbacks of aim assist. Iíve also noticed that many forum members are ill-informed as to how AA works, so I thought Iíd just make a quick post to explain.

There are several types of aim assist implemented in First-Person Shooters, but the two that get discussed most on this forum are Slowdown and Autorotate.

Aim assist slowdown kicks in when you are stationary. It lowers the controller's sensitivity temporarily when your cursor is on target, in order to keep the reticle there whilst your opponent is moving. This is necessary with an analogue stick as it's difficult to make tiny, precise movements with one.
This area of decrease in sensitivity extends outside the character hitbox in order that the controller movement slows down as it approaches the character model, making it easier to get on target, rather than just assisting in staying on target. This area of effect is commonly referred to as the AA Ďbubbleí. Because the controllerís sensitivity drops as soon as you enter the bubble, you then have to move your mouse faster to get on target. This is not intuitive and can therefore feel as though the mouse is stuck in the bubble. This negative effect is most noticeable if you are trying to get your cross-hairs on to a target that is moving away from your reticle to the left or the right.

Aim assist autorotation pulls your reticle toward a target slightly if your cross-hairs are within the bubble and both you and your target are moving. Whilst this sounds great, if another enemy moves between you and your target, or is close to your target but moving faster, aim assist will try to move you toward the new target, forcing you to fight the effect if you want to stay on the first opponent.

Both types of AA are common in CoD (the game that I play the most). Neither type will lock onto your target: both require you to aim, but they will often assist you in doing so. However, they will also hinder your aim in some situations, which is why there are so many posts on this forum about anti aim assist Ballistic Curves.

If you already knew all of this, apologies for teaching you to suck eggs. If you didnít, hope it helps.

I'm a new user, I do not know how to Make settings suitable for Sniper, knowing use Logitech 502 and 1000Hz and play on off

Offline RedManMosh

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: RedManMosh
« Reply #3 on: 08:27 PM - 11/20/18 »
I'm a new user, I do not know how to Make settings suitable for Sniper, knowing use Logitech 502 and 1000Hz and play on off
[/quote]

Don't use any advanced features, just increase your sensitivity. If that doesn't help, you could try to create the same config using common sync. I find that it gives me the most precise aim for sniping, just know that this does increase aim assist with other weapons. Seeing how sniping has no aim assist you will be okay. Also high DPI and polling rate will give you increased control.

Offline Pyyl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01:28 AM - 11/21/18 »

Don't use any advanced features, just increase your sensitivity. If that doesn't help, you could try to create the same config using common sync. I find that it gives me the most precise aim for sniping, just know that this does increase aim assist with other weapons. Seeing how sniping has no aim assist you will be okay. Also high DPI and polling rate will give you increased control.
[/quote]

Your advice for dpi?

Offline ceebs

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03:05 AM - 11/21/18 »
I use this curve for sniping in BO4.

Where's HL3?

XIM Apex, PS4 Pro + Crucial MX500 1TB, Xbox Series X, Allreli T9+, Swiftpoint Z, Aorus AMP500, AKG K702, Creative Sound Blaster X7, iFi Zen DAC v2, iFi Zen CAN, Eve Spectrum 4K 144Hz.

LIAN LI A4 H2O, ASRock Z690M-ITX/ax, Intel Core i5 12400, EK-AIO Basic 240, Crucial 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 2TB, Crucial MX500 1TB, KFA2 RTX 3080 SG, Cooler Master V850 SFX Gold and if you've read this far, you too are a genuine geek, my friend!

Offline ceebs

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03:17 AM - 11/21/18 »
Sounds as though you may be new to keyboard and mouse on console?

Despite the popular opinion of many controller users (and therefore hate for XIM) AA doesn't become an aimbot with the XIM. Although mouse users definitely benefit from AA, it's unpredictable sensitivity can hinder precision aiming in some situations. To find out how to combat/make the most of AA with the XIM check out the posts from RML and antithesis.

Where's HL3?

Offline G502Killer

• MVP
  • Please Delete My Account
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Delete
« Reply #7 on: 09:57 PM - 11/21/18 »
Sounds as though you may be new to keyboard and mouse on console?

Despite the popular opinion of many controller users (and therefore hate for XIM) AA doesn't become an aimbot with the XIM. Although mouse users definitely benefit from AA, it's unpredictable sensitivity can hinder precision aiming in some situations. To find out how to combat/make the most of AA with the XIM check out the posts from RML and antithesis.
Woosh

Links Antithesis his own post  ;D
Please Delete My Account

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #8 on: 10:38 PM - 11/21/18 »
Woosh

Yes, I was being sarcastic. I neglected to add the rolleyes emote.
I thought the 1 in the exclamation marks would suffice ;)

Offline ceebs

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03:34 AM - 11/22/18 »
Woosh

I was being ironic. Could never miss your sig. :)

Where's HL3?

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #10 on: 04:16 AM - 11/22/18 »
Woosh

I was being ironic. Could never miss your sig. :)
Smiles all round :D

Offline N1TRO

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: xiiProG_NiTROiix
« Reply #11 on: 04:24 AM - 11/22/18 »
Hahaha just read this thread. Antithesis your a total idiot you should educate yourself by reading posts from rml and yourself. What an idiot.
Mainly play overwatch
Generally high master low gm ☺

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #12 on: 05:13 AM - 11/22/18 »
Hahaha just read this thread. Antithesis your a total idiot you should educate yourself by reading posts from rml and yourself. What an idiot.
I'm not a young man anymore  ;)

Offline N1TRO

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: xiiProG_NiTROiix
« Reply #13 on: 05:28 AM - 11/22/18 »
Mainly play overwatch
Generally high master low gm ☺