XIM Community

Drawing a circle with the mouse is hugely difficult in BO4.  (Read 2345 times)

Offline ceebs

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: ceebs_63
  • PSN ID: Captain_Minxley
Hi all.

I'm having problems controlling my mouse effectively in Black Ops 4. When moving my mouse in a perfect circle, counterclockwise (that's just the way I roll 8) ), the mouse moves straight up between 4 o' clock and 2 o' clock and straight down between 10 and 8.

I have to fight this 'angle-snapping' feeling to get back onto the circular movement and often end up moving the cursor out too far.

It's definitely an in-game issue as the problem is still there using the controller, with the controller plugged directly into the PS4, and I've tried two different controller's. I've gone through all of the tweaks that I can change for the controller in Options, but no joy.

Would anybody care to check whether they have the same issue (I did all my testing on Payload, tracing a circle against the outside of the large tube in the central area)?  Or if anybody has already experienced this and found a fix, please share?

Many thanks.

Where's HL3?

XIM Apex, PS4 Pro + Crucial MX500 1TB, Xbox Series X, Allreli T9+, Swiftpoint Z, Aorus AMP500, AKG K702, Creative Sound Blaster X7, iFi Zen DAC v2, iFi Zen CAN, Eve Spectrum 4K 144Hz.

LIAN LI A4 H2O, ASRock Z690M-ITX/ax, Intel Core i5 12400, EK-AIO Basic 240, Crucial 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 2TB, Crucial MX500 1TB, KFA2 RTX 3080 SG, Cooler Master V850 SFX Gold and if you've read this far, you too are a genuine geek, my friend!

Offline dpk_ydv

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: B2uT3_f02c3
Even I've the same issue. The issue is more apparent when I use OFF synchronisation, with common it's a lot lesser.

Offline RML

• MVP
  • AKA "KO" - PUBG Shield [ON]
    • View Profile
With Sync Off you need to use smoothing to mostly fix this. You may also have other issues with either your mouse or pad. I use Sync off with smoothing around 5-8 for BO4. Makes micro aiming good enough for me.

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
You're the first to ever point this out, good find. Unfortunately this is a characteristic of the PS4 version's look mechanic. Angular movement is limited compared to the Xbox version and CoD's from other studios. BO3 has the same behavior.
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline ceebs

• MVP
    • View Profile
With Sync Off you need to use smoothing to mostly fix this. You may also have other issues with either your mouse or pad. I use Sync off with smoothing around 5-8 for BO4. Makes micro aiming good enough for me.
Thanks RML, but the issue is identical when I'm controlling the cursor with the DS4 without the Apex.

Where's HL3?

XIM Apex, PS4 Pro + Crucial MX500 1TB, Xbox Series X, Allreli T9+, Swiftpoint Z, Aorus AMP500, AKG K702, Creative Sound Blaster X7, iFi Zen DAC v2, iFi Zen CAN, Eve Spectrum 4K 144Hz.

LIAN LI A4 H2O, ASRock Z690M-ITX/ax, Intel Core i5 12400, EK-AIO Basic 240, Crucial 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 2TB, Crucial MX500 1TB, KFA2 RTX 3080 SG, Cooler Master V850 SFX Gold and if you've read this far, you too are a genuine geek, my friend!

Offline ceebs

• MVP
    • View Profile
You're the first to ever point this out, good find. Unfortunately this is a characteristic of the PS4 version's look mechanic. Angular movement is limited compared to the Xbox version and CoD's from other studios. BO3 has the same behavior.
Thanks Mist. In your expert opinion, is there any solution, or even a method to just minimise the effect?

Where's HL3?

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
No. The movement just isn't there as you've found using direct connection with a controller. It's similar to velocity jumps where movement skips from one speed to another. Nothing can be done if that portion of movement doesn't exist in the game.

Offline ceebs

• MVP
    • View Profile
No. The movement just isn't there as you've found using direct connection with a controller. It's similar to velocity jumps where movement skips from one speed to another. Nothing can be done if that portion of movement doesn't exist in the game.
OK. Thanks. At least I now have an excuse for my bad aim! ;)

Where's HL3?

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile

Offline Santigold

• MVP
    • View Profile
So thats the invisible "wall" that I was hitting while aiming. I did feel that invisible barrier multiple times while aiming, especially noticeable in CQ fights when firing from the hip when you and the enemy both move at the same time or jump etc.

Didnt bother looking closer into it, but now after trying it in a custom game, it is indeed as described in the first post.

The screen even goes from smooth circle rotation to jittering once you hit the invisible barrier.

If anyone bothers, you could try creating a reddit post about it or tweeting an image of this to vonderhaar, mattks or alexconserva and ask them to fix it. I however dont really enjoy the game, so couldnt care less about this. Id say this is like the biggest non-issue in the game right now, compared to all other major issues.

This deadzone limitation does really suck dont get me wrong, but again- thats the smallest thing to worry about right now with how much stuff is broken/overpowered/etc., sadly.

Offline tepidblack

• View Profile
Re: Drawing a circle with the mouse is hugely difficult in BO4.
« Reply #10 on: 02:10 AM - 11/13/18 »

Yikes, and here was me thinking this would be the CoD where I moved to PS4. Back to Xbox I go.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #11 on: 02:12 AM - 11/13/18 »
It may be worth trying a different ST. I think I fired up BO4 using the Fortnite ST and didn't notice the problem drawing a circle. Swapping to the BO4 ST and it became evident.

That could be in my head though, so it's worth testing more broadly.

Official Australian distributor for
XIM NEXUS, XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline ceebs

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04:29 AM - 11/13/18 »
It may be worth trying a different ST. I think I fired up BO4 using the Fortnite ST and didn't notice the problem drawing a circle. Swapping to the BO4 ST and it became evident.

That could be in my head though, so it's worth testing more broadly.
Definitely in-game, anti, not ST related. The problem is the same when using a controller connected directly to the PS4.
I'm going to create a reddit post about it, as Santi suggested, and see if I get a response from 3Arch.

Where's HL3?

Offline ceebs

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03:21 AM - 11/14/18 »
Got no responses to my reddit post, even though I asked for a reply from u/treyarch_official. Looks like everyone's just stuck with an imperfect aim mechanic on Playstation. Disappointing from Treyarch, but I guess that it is what it is.

Where's HL3?

Offline 1ME

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04:39 AM - 11/14/18 »
Why would you need to draw circles in a console fps?  :o

Mainly playing CoD   ▪   1600dpi   ▪   Default sync   ▪   1000hz
Play fair, have fun