XIM Community

Sync Off with BO4. What about NO ads profile?  (Read 3035 times)

Offline YeaItsMe

• View Profile
Sync Off with BO4. What about NO ads profile?
« on: 01:12 PM - 10/25/18 »
Let me start with...I've tried many, many, many settings. Curve and no curve. All the different sync options. And as long as I keep my 360/cm the same, I do well no matter what settings I try. The thing is, I do my best with sync off...as I get better bullet registration at a different level of consistency...from other sync options.

My question is, why is this.? I thought for a 60fps COD game I was supposed to run "common".?

NO ads profile...check my last post on page 2
« Last Edit: 03:55 PM - 12/03/18 by YeaItsMe »

Offline JDM

• MVP
    • View Profile
Re: Sync Off with BO4?
« Reply #1 on: 03:00 PM - 10/25/18 »
Let me start with...I've tried many, many, many settings. Curve and no curve. All the different sync options. And as long as I keep my 360/cm the same, I do well no matter what settings I try. The thing is, I do my best with sync off...as I get better bullet registration at a different level of consistency...from other sync options.

My question is, why is this.? I thought for a 60fps COD game I was supposed to run "common".?

It’s not that you’re getting better Bullet Reg, off sync just feels snappier and less floaty, I always recommend no sync.

I think it really depends on the game but i think t feels snappier because it cuts through  the aim assist better
| Apex ~ Zowie FK2 ~ Azeron Compact ~ G440 ~ Astro A40 TR ~ PS4 |

Offline YeaItsMe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03:40 PM - 10/25/18 »
It’s not that you’re getting better Bullet Reg, off sync just feels snappier and less floaty, I always recommend no sync.

I think it really depends on the game but i think t feels snappier because it cuts through  the aim assist better

Yeah, I meant what I said... Only concerning BO4 though but I'm going to go back Fortnite at some point to see how off sync feels with that game...using default currently.

Since everyone who has played BO4 will have used the weapon, I'll use the ICR as an example. Its a 4 shot kill to 50m, if one is a headshot. Using off sync I register more headshots, thus more 4 shot kills.

I find myself asking "why wasn't that a headshot" far less using off than any other sync.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #3 on: 04:00 PM - 10/25/18 »
It may be related to BO4's tick rate, which I believe is currently sitting at 30Hz, or one tick every 33.33ms.

At Common Sync, Apex is sending data to the console at a rate of 60Hz, or once every 16.66ms, so it should register twice within each server tick. However, given the low tickrate and how flakey CoD is in regards to lag compensation, the higher rates of Sync at Default (every 8ms) and Off (every 1,2,4 or 8ms) may be more likely to register data within a server tick.

That'd be my guess anyway and it's a nothing but a guess. Apex will poll the console at whatever Response Rate we set, I'm not 100% sure how Sync hooks into the processing loop of a game, but I suppose there's a greater risk of missing a server tick at Common or Slow than Default or Off.

It's something to consider, but I believe the issue has more to do with your router and ISP's connection to the BO4 servers than the Xim's connection to the console. Counterintuitively, we want to increase our pings for CoD to improve hit registration (a ping of around 40ms at minimum is best) and realistically, I doubt Sync settings have anything to do with hit reg.
« Last Edit: 04:05 PM - 10/25/18 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for XIM Apex, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM Apex demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline tepidblack

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04:08 PM - 10/25/18 »
I too run sync off in CoD, in fact I run sync off in every single game but that’s besides the point. Sync off is how the Apex ran on the launch firmware and imo that was when it felt at its snappiest and most “pure”. Never really needed any advanced settings at all tbh, other than a bit of Smoothing to combat the jitter from having sync off + 1000hz with a mouse that doesn’t always hit that target (G502), and to add back in a bit of aim assist because it feels nonexistent with this combination. It’s the most popular game for a reason - you don’t have to screw around with it too much for it to feel great.

Offline TopNotch1.0

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05:10 PM - 10/25/18 »
how do i calculate going from Sync = common to Sync = off ?

Offline YeaItsMe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05:14 PM - 10/25/18 »
It may be related to BO4's tick rate, which I believe is currently sitting at 30Hz, or one tick every 33.33ms.

Good point. And coincidentally enough the recent jump from 20 to 30Hz was right around the time I started using Off Sync.

I know from Battle(non)sense that the beta ran at 60Hz. Guessing we'll see that again in the future. Will revisit some of my other configs to test upon future changes.
It's something to consider, but I believe the issue has more to do with your router and ISP's connection to the BO4 servers than the Xim's connection to the console. Counterintuitively, we want to increase our pings for CoD to improve hit registration (a ping of around 40ms at minimum is best) and realistically, I doubt Sync settings have anything to do with hit reg.

Just so happens that my ping is in the high 30's to low 40's

It’s the most popular game for a reason - you don’t have to screw around with it too much for it to feel great.

So true. As long as I keep my 360cm the same, I run well no matter what settings I try. Just running a little better with off sync atm.

Offline YeaItsMe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05:18 PM - 10/25/18 »
how do i calculate going from Sync = common to Sync = off ?
This was the guideline from Mist...

Sensitivity conversion between Synchronize settings:

Default > Off: x8 | Common: ÷2 | Slow: ÷4

Common > Off: x16 | Default: x2 | Slow: ÷2

Slow > Off: x32 | Default: x4 | Common: x2

Off > Default: ÷8 | Common: ÷16 | Slow: ÷32

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #8 on: 05:24 PM - 10/25/18 »
Just so happens that my ping is in the high 30's to low 40's
Is there any way to measure that specifically for BO4 on console? I can't see the connection data in-game.

I don't trust console OS-based network connection test data, it's nowhere near an accurate depiction of my ping and speed. Normally, I'd use the Netduma router to ping the server to get an accurate ping, but the BO4 authentication server for Australia appears to be in the UK, which is half a world away. DumaOS doesn't graph connections to peers like the older Netduma R1 OS, so it's a little harder to nut out.

For Fortnite though, my ping is 12ms. That's a problem for hit registration in BO4 due to lag comp.

Official Australian distributor for XIM Apex, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad

Offline YeaItsMe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05:37 PM - 10/25/18 »

Is there any way to measure that specifically for BO4 on console? I can't see the connection data in-game.

Not that I know of.

On XBox One dash...running detailed network statistics my latency is always 42. In Fortnite my ping would fluctuate 38-42. Had a Netduma briefly a while back...I was connecting to xbox servers in Chicago (about 1 1/2 hours from me) and assume its still the same.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #10 on: 05:41 PM - 10/25/18 »
It sounds like you're in the ping sweet spot for BO4, but the lower 30Hz tickrate may be messing with hit reg.

Let's hope Treyarch crank it back up to 60Hz once the launch wave of players dies down and server loads reduce.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sync > Off does help due to more input data being sent to the console. It's certainly something I intend to test.

The only reason I use Common is to play around with AA, but it's in another dimension in BO4 and needs to be dampened, so Off may help there too.

Offline YeaItsMe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06:36 PM - 10/25/18 »
I wouldn't be surprised if Sync > Off does help due to more input data being sent to the console. It's certainly something I intend to test.

The only reason I use Common is to play around with AA, but it's in another dimension in BO4 and needs to be dampened, so Off may help there too.

I hope you do test some off sync...curious on how you'll feel about it.

Fwiw, I'll list my settings. I should note that I use Gung-Ho on every class and feel as if its a crutch perk for me. I run ever where and transition from sprint to shooting a lot. (Play mostly DOM)

500Hz for both (haven't tried 1000 with off sync as 500 felt great as is)

G502 3200 DPI...Cloth

Hip 307
7 Smoothing

Ads 122
Delay 270 (Only using AR's atm, leveling for camos)
7 Smoothing

Both Off Sync
No Curves needed as I'm NEVER affected by AA Bubbles.

Aim Assist isn't sticky but there is AA...especially when strafing, which I do a lot of.

Xbox One X

« Last Edit: 06:40 PM - 10/25/18 by YeaItsMe »

Offline skrelet

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11:15 PM - 10/26/18 »
I've also struggled a lot with bo4 look mechanics and such, a LOT of different settings, so i tried with sync off, and it was actually better! So i thought perhaps it was a placebo, so i tried it in cod:IW as well, and it felt good there too. IW does not have 30hz right? (xbox one x) I dunno, but i think it felt better than default and common, tried slow as well, but imo, sync off is the best thing yet.

Online ceebs

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Captain_Minxley
« Reply #13 on: 03:28 AM - 10/28/18 »
In response to YealtsMe’s observations I switched to Sync Off yesterday. Felt no difference other than I got far fewer Shoot First, Die First deaths. Of course, that may be down to the slightly increased tick rate, so I’m going to try Sync Common today to see whether the BS deaths go back up or not.
« Last Edit: 08:29 AM - 10/29/18 by ceebs »

Where's HL3?

XIM Apex, PS4 Pro, Crucial MX500 1TB, Allreli T9+, Swiftpoint Z, Gigabyte Aorus, Audio Technica AD700, SB X7, LG 27UD58.

MSI Z97i Gaming AC, Intel Core i5 [email protected], Corsair H100i, EVGA GTX780, 16gb G-Skill [email protected], XFX ProSeries 750w, 3xAerocool Dead Silence, Cooltek W1, 3xSamsung Evo 500 SSD, WD 1TB HDD, Silverstone SST slot-load DVD, KustomPC braided cables. And if you've read this far, you too are a genuine geek, my friend![/s]

Offline MrBrutalFrosty

• Australian Youtuber 1.5k Subs All Things FPS COD
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: MrBrutalFrosty
  • PSN ID: Mr_Brutal_Frosty Youtube: MrBrutalFrosty
« Reply #14 on: 09:58 AM - 10/28/18 »
I allways use sync off feels the best for me had it set to off since getting my apex :)