XIM Community

Kickstarter - Cooler Master analog mech keypad...get it now for early bird price  (Read 1731 times)

Online antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
I just received an email from the guys at Aimpad.

They've paired up with Cooler Master to release the ControlPad. It's a 24-key mech keypad with analog switches - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolermaster/controlpad-24-keys-with-analog-control

I've backed it for $55 USD (+ $20 shipping to Oz) on the early bird pricing. This is pretty much what I wanted from the Wooting Two's numpad, so I may sell that on arrival in Dec.

Also, Cooler Master has a new full size MK 850 keyboard launching later this year featuring the same Aimpad analog technology.

If you're interested in the ControlPad, get in now while there are plenty of early bird slots available. We'll have to wait until May 2019, but it looks like it'll be worth the wait.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Online antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Just a note - the $55 version features Gateron switches. The $75 pledge is likely the Cherry MX version. Both switches are available, but there's a little detail missing from the pledge descriptions.

I'm fine with Gaters for a gaming keypad and didn't see the point of spending the extra dough for Cherries.

Also, we won't know if this works with Xim until it ships, so it's a bit of a gamble. My bet is it will because Wootings are compatible with Apex.

The only kb that features analog keys that doesn't work on Apex is the Roccat Isku+ Force. I doubt we'll have any issues given the full set of ControlPad switches are analog as opposed to the Isku's QWEASD cluster. The Roccat relies on PC drivers for analog functionality, Cooler Master should not.
« Last Edit: 04:08 PM - 10/11/18 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
oh nice

btw does coolermaster not believe in this technology and therefore not risk the production/research costs or why do they go with a kickstarter for this?
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay

Online antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
oh nice

btw does coolermaster not believe in this technology and therefore not risk the production/research costs or why do they go with a kickstarter for this?
The full-size keyboard has Aimpad analog tech on-board and is due for release this year.

Kickstarter is more about gauging demand for a keypad-sized version. I doubt they'll have any problem hitting the goal.

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
yeah true i remember reading about their full sized version, thought this will be their first attempt with this technology
numberpad sized boards certainly are niche products so kickstarter makes sense
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay

Offline Bringer Mortis

• View Profile
Also, Cooler Master has a new full size MK 850 keyboard launching later this year featuring the same Aimpad analog technology.

The MK850 was announced back in January with a summer release. Now it's mid-Oct and still not available. Wondering if the delay is due to performance issues that could translate into the keypad.

I'd definitely invest in the keypad but with the May 2019 ETA I'm thinking the MK 850 is a better choice, assuming it becomes a reality.
« Last Edit: 10:27 AM - 10/13/18 by Bringer Mortis »

Offline Bringer Mortis

• View Profile
Just a note - the $55 version features Gateron switches. The $75 pledge is likely the Cherry MX version. Both switches are available, but there's a little detail missing from the pledge descriptions.

I'm fine with Gaters for a gaming keypad and didn't see the point of spending the extra dough for Cherries.

The $55 pledge is sold out but in the comments Cooler Master confirms the $75 pledge is Cherry MX. What I don't understand is the $80 pledge goes back to Gateron.

Offline alanmcgregor

• MVP
    • View Profile
Not fan of the straight numeric keypad-like(ortho linear) arrangement, dreadful design ergonomic wise looks like a nightmare for my wrist.

Numeric Pads are like that, because the hand that uses it, is elevated for a short period to then go to the mouse, back and forth -like a calculator- but its true resting spot is on the staggered keys side which is more natural layout for joint alignment.

Typical of engineers the get so focus on technology details and they neglect that they will be used by human beings.
#HID Designer rant end

Either way I going to backed it.
« Last Edit: 01:11 PM - 10/13/18 by alanmcgregor »

Offline Bringer Mortis

• View Profile
Not fan of the straight numeric keypad-like(ortho linear) arrangement, dreadful design ergonomic wise looks like a nightmare for my wrist.

That's why I appreciate true gamepads as opposed to a keypad. I get where Cooler Master is going b/c they want to appeal to a broader customer base, but I'm only looking for something to enhance my gaming experience.

Offline pulpbiggles

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: LordofBiggles
  • PSN ID: PulpBiggles
Does anyone know of a wireless keypad that works with the XIM? I.e it has a dongle like one for the full sized Logitech keyboards.

Offline alanmcgregor

• MVP
    • View Profile
A staggered keypad with a thumb cluster will do it, for sure.

Online antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
I disagree. I've used ortholinear keys for gaming for over a decade and far prefer it to staggered key rows. Ortholinear is ergonomic, staggered is not, that's why most ergo keyboards have ortho layouts. Finger joints move in straight lines, not angles.

The wrist wrest is optional, so I'm not concerned about wrist position.

For $55 (early bird) it's a steal if you're looking at analog kb options for console gaming. At $75...that's getting up there for a pretty basic keypad.

Offline Bringer Mortis

• View Profile
For $55 (early bird) it's a steal if you're looking at analog kb options for console gaming. At $75...that's getting up there for a pretty basic keypad.

Shipping is $15-$20 depending on where you live so the $55 lower key grade early bird becomes $70-$75 and the Cherry MX becomes a $90 buy.

Online antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Shipping is $15-$20 depending on where you live so the $55 lower key grade early bird becomes $70-$75 and the Cherry MX becomes a $90 buy.
True. Even the $55 USD version plus shipping costs over $100 Aussie dollars. I'm not sure I'd spend $130+ AUD ($90-95 USD) on a keypad at the $75 price.

The benefit for me of this device is an analog keyboard for console gaming with a small desktop footprint. I've already got a Wooting Two on the way, but that won't allow me to sit it beside my existing keyboard on the desk and I don't want to be pushing stuff around to play games. The smaller Cooler Master gamepad won't be a problem.

Offline Bringer Mortis

• View Profile

According to a Cooler Master tweet, the MK850 full keyboard with Aimpad is now scheduled for release by the end of the month.