XIM Community

Normal to feel a slight difference between XIM Link and Default Apex setup?  (Read 2104 times)

Offline Biggage

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
  • Gamertag: Atmo nS
  • PSN ID: Atmo_nS
I have done some reading through the XIM Link threads and according to the experts they say that if the XIM Link and your peripherals are connected correctly there is no difference than using the Apex without a link. Thing is though, I feel a difference. The aiming feels more granular and delayed like something is being lost. This has always been the case for me when I try XIM Link.

To test if I was losing my mind or just having a placebo effect, I played in a bot lobby on COD BO3 for about 5 minutes using the XIM Link. I then swapped to the normal default setup for Apex with my mouse and keyboard plugged into apex hub using EXACT Apex game settings as I was with XIM link and I felt immediately smoother/responsive aiming and I had to basically almost double my sensitivities from what I was using with the XIM Link set up. So something isn't adding up if it's truly supposed to feel the same.

Keep in mind I double checked the mouse polling rate of 500hz was set the same from xim link set up to default apex. I also triple checked the apex game settings didn't change after I rebooted the Apex after swapping. So something is up. I want this to work because I don't want to use two keyboards and mice, but I'd rather have better feel and be hindered by less desk space than this alternative.

I'm running Windows 10 64 bit, Xim Link 1.3 Beta Build 1809.103 (However this same thinng happens on previous versions), with G502 Mouse set to 12k dpi and 500hz, and using a Logitech G910 Keyboard. I am also seeing ZERO packet loss under connection status.

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
try to use 1000hz instead of 500hz, the current xim link version has a buffer of 2ms on 500hz which means you basically have 4ms of overall mouse delay
wice is currently working on a fix for that, until then everything is optimized for 1000hz in xim link
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay

Offline Biggage

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
try to use 1000hz instead of 500hz, the current xim link version has a buffer of 2ms on 500hz which means you basically have 4ms of overall mouse delay
wice is currently working on a fix for that, until then everything is optimized for 1000hz in xim link

Problem is though, my mouse doesn't have a steady 1000hz signal.

Edit: And are you saying by doing this it will feel just as smooth as the default Apex setup or will it always not be as smooth?
« Last Edit: 11:46 AM - 10/10/18 by Biggage »

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile

Problem is though, my mouse doesn't have a steady 1000hz signal.

Edit: And are you saying by doing this it will feel just as smooth as the default Apex setup or will it always not be as smooth?

its basically as smooth as the direct xim, in 1000hz mode xim link adds a delay in the Ķ-second range
you can run 1000hz and some smoothing on top if your mouse doesnt run well on 1000hz, if you dont go higher than 7 or 10 you will hardly notice the smoothing at all
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

Offline havoxxx

• MVP
    • View Profile
Hah this whole post made me laugh, because i feel the same way. I CAN NOT PLAY without xim link because of how much smoother the game play is. I swear you are right on the double sensitivity because the 2 DO NOT fell the same. If i try to play hooked up right the the xim hub, instantly i have to up my sensitivity. Once i switch back to the PC/link, i am always thinking... How did i ever play with this high of sens? Its no placebo. There really is a difference with raw input, compared to the xim default hub. 

Offline Biggage

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
It's odd because I can play good with both so I'm not knocking it, just there is 100% a different feel. Also, feels like I hit the turn speed cap much faster even though I set my sensitivity to the exact same 360/in distance.

Going to give it a try in BO4 until I feel it's hindering me. I LOVE how streamlined it is to switch with XIM Link, so that has me staying.

Offline BlueAid

• View Profile
I have to keep my mouse plugged into the APEX and I use my keyboard through XIM Link. If I have my mouse pass through Link as well the sensitivity is way higher. At least twice as high. I have a Zowie FK1 so there are no drivers on the PC. Everything is onboard.
CM MasterKeys Pro M White | Logitech G203 | Steelseries QcK Heavy

PS4 Pro | Xbox One S

XIM APEX | XIM 4 | XIM Edge

Offline Biggage

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
I have to keep my mouse plugged into the APEX and I use my keyboard through XIM Link. If I have my mouse pass through Link as well the sensitivity is way higher. At least twice as high. I have a Zowie FK1 so there are no drivers on the PC. Everything is onboard.

That's actually a quite brilliant solution to my issue. I didn't know the Apex will pick up my mouse plugged in as well as the transfer cable. That would fix my issue as I don't care to have two mice, but two keyboards is too much.

Offline Deazly

• View Profile
Oh ok this helps me understand my setup better. I recently went from 1000 to 500 and I've felt it was smoother as my mouse doesn't hold a steady 1000. I use Link, it's the best.

So 1000hz is recommended with Link?
Gameplay @ TWITCH and YouTubes

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
not necessarily but if you want to avoid the additional 2 milliseconds of buffer then go 1000hz
w11ce is working on an optimization for other polling rates too :)

Offline Deazly

• View Profile
Awesome. Thanks. Nice to get info from the Devs who know how it works.

Ill keep tweaking my setup. It might be that I like the additional AA from that 2ms delay? Could that be affecting AA in this scenario?
Gameplay @ TWITCH and YouTubes

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
yes definitely, it will boost the aim assist a bit

Offline W11cE

• MVP
    • View Profile
If your mouse is polling on 1000Hz, the only difference is 1 packet buffer (= 1ms), which is needed to fix missing mouse data errors while its passing through OS.

If the mouse polling is lower than that, there is still that one packet buffer, however this is dependent on the polling rate, so for example with 500Hz mouse polling the buffer is 2ms long. This is a bug, which i have not fixed yet. It should be still 1ms, since the buffer is intended for fixing system delays.

Apart from that delay, what is happening with lower polling rates is, that there is padding on missing packets. This will result in "fake" movement that does not exist. This is a duplicate of the last received packet. On 500Hz mouse this means that the mouse sensitivity is doubled.

Offline Xenaph1

• View Profile
Hi,

Is it normal before xim link I had 500hz and with 1000hz I donít have need to. Hangs my sens ?

Thanks

Offline [email protected]

• View Profile
I also noticed this. When connecting to XIM link  from apex (500hz) My sensitivity seemed to have doubled. Any explanations?

Admin