XIM Community

Microsoft to add native M+K support: what does this mean for Xim?  (Read 2156 times)

Offline Jedi Master Bates

• Ayyy laddeh *hic* ...care to stroke me lightsaber?
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: DBOed
Story:

https://m.ign.com/articles/2018/09/25/xbox-announces-mouse-and-keyboard-support

A couple of questions, as a new Xim user and my knowledge of the software and history is limited.

1) Now that Microsoft is making native M+B support, what effect could this have on the Xim? For example, could Microsoft now say "we will only accept players who use our native support and will no longer allow third party software for M+K support" due to the Xim communicating through the controller?

2) If Xim is still allowed, and devs decide to separate M+K users from controller users in game, which bunch would Xim fall into? Is anyone confident in Microsoft's ability to identify the Xim being used on XBO?

3) How likely is the chance of the Xim being "outlawed"? In the hypothetical situation that Xim is outlawed, will there be some sort of warning, or appeal by Xim?

4) How would native M+K integration effect the Xim if Microsoft can detect Xim software being used, and Xim users fall under the M+B game settings (i.e. would aim assist be different, would settings in game or Xim software need to be changed to compensate the new M+B specific game rules, etc.)?

I realize some of these questions probably can't be answered right now, due to the limited information there is on all this from Microsoft, but speculation is also welcomed. I just want to hear every one's thoughts on it and what it could potentially mean.

Offline Zen

• MVP
    • View Profile
I'd imagine it goes how it always goes. Company allows it on thier console. 1-2 games implement it poorly and the rest don't bother.

Personally I'd love to have native controls but I can't see it happening on the FPS games I play.

• View Profile
Personally I'd love to have native controls but I can't see it happening on the FPS games I play.

Any specific reason why you'd prefer native over the Xim? Isn't native support historically less intuitive and comprehensive? Do you think Microsoft would just do a really good job with the integration and level of control M+K would have?

Offline Zen

• MVP
    • View Profile
Yeah you're right. By native I guess I meant properly implemented in which case I prefer the feeling over emulated. But it will probably be poor with mouse options being slow/med/fast 🤣

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
If game developers decide to use this new support (if we take PlayStation which has had support for 10+ years as a data point then few will use it), then they will separate by input-type in matchmaking. But, as a XIM user, you'll still be able to game with your controller friends as XIM presents itself to the console as a standard controller.
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline TheLsD

• View Profile
It is not native m+k, it gonna works with supported games, with supported m+k from microsoft/razer... So xim will be good

Offline cousinnicholas

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: cousinnicholas
  • PSN ID: dntwrryimlucky
I feel like Microsoft should have a whole lot of interest in implementing native M+KB support the right way because it falls directly in line with Microsoft's goals of a Unified Platform.  Certainly their goal is to blur the lines between consoles and PC's and make a similar experience affordable (which is what consoles generally do).  There are a bunch of benefits from implementing this the right way for Microsoft and consumers. 
1)Cross-Play between XBOX and PC.  Do you have friends with PC's?  Would you like to be able to game with those friends without the hassle of building a PC that will cost you at least double the price of even the most expensive console? (play with your PC friends). 
2) Potential to literally play anywhere with the input device of your choice, Phone, PC, Laptop. 
3)  Play your games the way you want to play them with the input devices you are the most comfortable with.  This sort of flexibility should be natural, its 2018 for god sakes.  We should be far beyond limiting input devices, this is definitely the most consumer friendly choice.
4) Previously exclusive PC games can now come to XBOX (there are at least no excuses why they wouldn't with native M+KB Support).  Yes this means games like Age of Empires, Starcraft, WOW, Counterstrike, League of Legends etc.   This would also help Microsoft out with their first and third party exclusivity issues.  The potential to expand XBOX's game library becomes huge.
5) Game developers can nearly directly port third party PC games to the XBOX.  Not sure how many hours this would really save game devs in the end, but it seems logical to think this process would be made easier.
6) Apps from the Windows Store could actually have full functionality with Native M+KB, making the Apps in the store way more useful.
7)The potential to open up the XBOX platform to audiences that have normally not considered buying a console and potentially converting PC players who don't feel like shelling out $1300 for a 2080ti.  Surprisingly enough after reading several reactions to this announcement, i saw quite a few PC exclusive gamers debating whether they would continue buying PC's if native support was truly realized on Xbox.

I'm sure there are more benefits that i am leaving out here, but you get the idea.  If Microsoft gets this right, it will be a game changer.  Like many have said in forum posts, this is something that has been implemented a few times and neglected for the most part.  If Microsoft wants to throw a curve-ball at this generation and give people more hope for the Next BOX, this could be the very feature that can bring Microsoft back to the top like the good old 360 days.

• View Profile
If game developers decide to use this new support (if we take PlayStation which has had support for 10+ years as a data point then few will use it), then they will separate by input-type in matchmaking. But, as a XIM user, you'll still be able to game with your controller friends as XIM presents itself to the console as a standard controller.

Cool, thanks for the feedback.

Just out of curiosity, because I can't find solid info on this topic, but is there a realistic chance that Microsoft could track and cease support of the Xim? I can't come up with a legitimate reason why they would, but the opinions are pretty mixed when you look them up.

Online ceebs

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Captain_Minxley
If Microsoft gets this right, it will be a game changer.
Unfortunately not.

If Microsoft implements the code right, keyboard and mouse will function correctly on the XBox. But devs won't use it; they've ignored the facility on PS for years.

In theory, it sounds great, for all the points you've listed, as well as greatly increasing the playercount for any game (especially if cross platform gaming works out), but in reality, apathy from the developers means we're not going to see it utilised any time soon.

Where's HL3?

XIM Apex, PS4 Pro with 1TB Crucial MX500, Allreli T9+, Swiftpoint Z, Aorus AMP500, Audio Technica ADG1X, SB X7, LG 27UD58.

MSI Z97i Gaming AC, Core i5 4690k, Corsair H100i, RTX 2070, 16GB Corsair Vengence DDR3, XFX ProSeries 750w, 3xAerocool Dead Silence, Cooltek W1, 2x500GB Samsung Evo SSDs, 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, 1TB WD HDD, Silverstone SST slot-load DVD, KustomPC braided cables. And if you've read this far, you too are a genuine geek, my friend!

Offline GuNStArHeRo

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Subscribe
  • Gamertag: x GuNStArHeRo
  • PSN ID: GuNStAr-HeRo-
people will still use XiM for aim assist.
XIM: 3/Edge/4/Apex | Titan: One/Two | XiM Link | PC: i7700k 1080ti ftw3 | M: Console: G502 - PC: fianlnouse Cape Town UL2 | KB: by the day and mood (60% to 65%) | Mouse Pad: by the day and mood (X-Large) | Audio/Mic: GoXLR | PC Mic: Shure SM7B | Monitor: 24" BenQ Zowie xl2436

Offline Minipeace

• View Profile
Microsoft keep hinting but in general many casual gamers just want the pad so they can sit on a comfy sofa.
As this is a forum where we all use m&k we donít mind but I mentioned this last year on a large U.K. based forum and all were against it to the point they became quite romantic if you follow my drift.
It will end up like the Playstion, it will be offered but game companies have to implement it.

Smoke me a kipper, Iíll be back for breakfast.

• View Profile
Unfortunately not.

If Microsoft implements the code right, keyboard and mouse will function correctly on the XBox. But devs won't use it; they've ignored the facility on PS for years.

In theory, it sounds great, for all the points you've listed, as well as greatly increasing the playercount for any game (especially if cross platform gaming works out), but in reality, apathy from the developers means we're not going to see it utilised any time soon.

I don't really know about that. You're using 2 different data populations with significantly different variables to come to the same conclusion. PS's failure/success with a feature doesn't determine someone else's, regardless of how long they've had functionality for it. A large part of success will depend on advertisement, convincing devs -- by perhaps offering incentives -- to take advantage of the opportunity, offer full support to devs, create a reliable and appealing native M+K support, etc.

You could potentially be right, but you say it like it's a guarantee that the same thing will happen to Xbox like it did PlayStation. It's a possibility, but the ball is in Microsoft's court on how good or bad they can make it, which will certainly have an effect on it's success.

Offline Bertuzzi1616

• MVP
    • View Profile
Unfortunately not.

I don't really know about that. You're using 2 different data populations with significantly different variables to come to the same conclusion. PS's failure/success with a feature doesn't determine someone else's, regardless of how long they've had functionality for it. A large part of success will depend on advertisement, convincing devs -- by perhaps offering incentives -- to take advantage of the opportunity, offer full support to devs, create a reliable and appealing native M+K support, etc.

You could potentially be right, but you say it like it's a guarantee that the same thing will happen to Xbox like it did PlayStation. It's a possibility, but the ball is in Microsoft's court on how good or bad they can make it, which will certainly have an effect on it's success.
Agreed. It's a new opportunity here and we'll see what happens.

So far Microsoft seems intent on pushing/supporting this properly and not just enabling the option and leaving it at that.

Has anybody tried one of the PS games with the MnK option? Does it feel proper native control like a PC or is it kind of gimped? I know people have said that MnK on fornite didn't feel great.

Maybe it has been possible on PS but has never truly been like proper native MnK like PC? Maybe Microsoft can make it more like true PC MnK? Which in turn might lead to more games/devs supporting it?

Maybe nothing will change and only a couple games will weakly support it. Or maybe we will see some actual change here.

No one knows how it will go at this point, but the potential is there for some cool things to happen from this. It's hard to see why people feel the need to be pessimistic about it before anything has had a real chance to happen.

Look on the bright side, be optimistic! Some cool things could happen here! If not, oh well things will continue as they've been, there's no negative side to that. But on the other hand if it takes off, there's a lot of positives to be had!

Offline 1ME

• View Profile
people will still use XiM for aim assist.

Very good point.

Mainly playing CoD   ▪   1600dpi   ▪   Default sync   ▪   1000hz
Play fair, have fun

Offline NomiyaNadeshiko

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: no snitching!
  • PSN ID: no snitching!
To begin, this is assuming any devs actually take advantage of it. Most likely, the only games that will use it are maybe 1-2 FPS games, and the rest will likely be MOBAs and RPGs that otherwise can't be on Xbox. This would mean you probably will still need a Xim to play all the games you actually play.

And if keyboard and mouse becomes popular for games, I would think that many of the games would have segregated servers to keep the playing field level, this means a Xim will still be useful to bypass segregated servers.

And no, this won't mean anything if Microsoft bans these adapters afterwards, the Xim is untraceable, and even with comprehensive viewing of one's gameplay it's pretty hard to tell if it's a legit good controller user or a keyboarder.