XIM Community

PSA: Xim Apex will brick console if pulling too much current, Buy a power adapte  (Read 789 times)

Offline Pallo420

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Pallo420
I have gone through 2 Xbox One X that keep having strange issues, won't turn on, random shutdowns, crashing games.
I have narrowed it down to only having issues while the Xim is plugged in.  I am using a logitech G500 and Razer Tartarus.  I have disabled their lights and they work fine with XIM Apex.  I am able to reproduce the crash issue within 30 minutes now.  I think it slowly wears down the PSU, somehow?  Used to never have issues, but now its without fail.
I just bought a https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DPCPAQS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and this should resolve my issues.  For now i have to play with a controller!!!!

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
APEX is a low power usb device that will shut off if there is a voltage issue. APEX itself and other devices connected to it shouldn't damage your console. If you're experiencing shut downs and issues with the console turning on I would look toward other possible causes. Your power strip and electrical outlet would be a good place to start. I believe Microsoft actually recommends that you don't attach X1X to a surge protector to avoid current regulation issues. The X1X has an internal surge protector as well if you're worried about this.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/357504/microsoft-dont-use-surge-protectors-with-xbox-one-x-one-s
https://www.onmsft.com/news/microsoft-backtracks-on-xbox-one-console-surge-protector-issue-kind-of

Note: Because the console has a built-in surge protector, you should not connect it to an external surge protector. If you connect the console to another surge protector, the console cannot reach the full power that is needed for optimal performance.
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Xim Apex does not supply power. All power comes from the console. A console cannot brick itself via its own USB port. It won't supply more current to the USB port than it's engineered to deliver.

What you're experiencing is your mouse & keyboard drawing more power than the console can supply to the Xim. A 5V console USB port can struggle to power 4 devices (Xim, mouse, keyboard, controller) when it's expecting only a controller.

That can cause Xim disconnects and your controls won't respond. This is a fairly common problem with power-hungry Razer devices and/or keyboards with LED lighting. There's no chance of damage to the console because there's no power being fed upstream to the console USB port - it's all coming from the console.

There are several solutions to this, including buying a compatible power adapter to plug into the Apex's USB hub, a powered USB hub, or a powered USB switch.

In my case, I have had power disconnects due to Razer mice on several generations of Xims. I've used powered USB hubs and switches to resolve the issue. Mouse & keyboard plug into the powered hub or switch. Hub plugs into Apex USB hub. Controller remains connected to the Apex USB hub. Done...problem solved.

There are other potential causes, most often a faulty USB cable from the controller to the Xim, and simply an undercharged controller drawing too much power when connected to a Xim.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM Apex demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline Pallo420

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Pallo420
I purchased a power supply to plug into the XIM.  No issues after using this.  My devices are a Razer Tartarus rated at 400mA plus my G502 mouse at unlisted mA.

Offline G502Killer

• MVP
  • FPS Games are 10% Aim and 90% Positioning
    • View Profile
If the Xbox One X gets bricked from drawing too much current through the USB port, it has some seriously bad engineers designing it
Competitive Call of Duty | G502 on QcK XXL | 1000Hz 3200 DPI | Extremely Low Sensitivity