XIM Community

Fortnite - Can they detect XIM with proposed Input-Based Matchmaking?  (Read 1194 times)

Offline Pallo420

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Pallo420
Can they detect XIM with proposed Input-Based Matchmaking?  And how would we even know, besides seeing a PC streamer name in the kill feed.

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/state-of-development-august-2018
"Input-Based Matchmaking
We have an upgrade to our matchmaking logic that will allow for a more even playing field when enjoying Fortnite with your input device of choice. In an upcoming release we’ll be implementing input based matchmaking, which will pair you against players who are using the same peripherals (e.g. controller vs controller, KB+M vs KB+M)."

Offline havoxxx

• MVP
    • View Profile
no. the xim is a recognized as a controller and always will be.

Always streaming, Click the spinning logo!

Offline Pallo420

• View Profile
Right, the XIM outputs as a controller.  But would it be possible to detect "strange" behavior from users.  Such as having maxed out sensitivity in game, while still being able to finely move the cross-hairs.  Console controllers will have a minimum movement step caused by physical movement that could differ from what values are possible digitally.

I feel confident in the XIM developers being able to overcome this if Epic throws yet another curve ball.

Online antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Right, the XIM outputs as a controller.  But would it be possible to detect "strange" behavior from users.  Such as having maxed out sensitivity in game, while still being able to finely move the cross-hairs.  Console controllers must have a minimum movement step caused by physical movement versus what could be the actual output value digitally.

I feel confident in the XIM developers being able to overcome this if Epic throws yet another curve ball.
That would require a complex heuristics detection engine and an enormous amount of data storage (assuming server-side detection and network packet analysis). It could be managed client-side in the Fortnite app, but if the console can't see a Xim, it's not likely the game will either.

It ain't gonna happen to filter out a very small percentage of their userbase playing with a Xim. All Epic will do is look for either a controller or a keyboard to designate the user to a lobby.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline Pallo420

• View Profile
Thanks, that makes me feel better.  I've played with the XIM for too long to ever go back to controller.  And playing on console versus PC just isn't fair because of inventory button mapping and more powerful hardware.

Offline S10

• I'm always over 9000.
    • View Profile
worse case start a game with a normal controller and before you get on the bus plug in the apex lol easy work around.
If at first you don't succeed.... Skydiving isn't for you.

- Zowie FK2
- FinalMouse Air58 Ninja
- Ducky One 2 Mini 60% Cherry MX Silent Red switches