XIM Community

ErgoDox EZ  (Read 905 times)

Offline Fox McCloud

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Sir Fox McCloud
ErgoDox EZ
« on: 08:44 AM - 08/22/18 »
How many people are familiar with or actually use this keyboard. It seems like a master gaming keyboard which also doubles as a daily-typing/work keyboard. I don't understand how this keyboard doesn't get more hype. The fact that this keyboard has: 1) Hot-swappable switches
                        2) Dual-funtion keys
                        3) 6 buttons for the thumb
                        4) Essentially a left-handed gamepad

The list of unique features really goes on and on. The only thing I can think of is the cost restrictive factor. Fully loaded it's over $300.00 US.

I am tempted to drop the money on one and would like to know more about the software and other potential cons of the device.

XIM APEX | XIM LINK | XBOX One S | Razer OrbWeaver (Razer Orange/Cherry Brown equivalent) | Logitech G502 (3.5K DPI & 1K Hz) | Asus 24" (VG245H) | Destiny 2

Offline wicked96ta

• MVP
    • View Profile
Re: ErgoDox EZ
« Reply #1 on: 01:23 PM - 08/22/18 »
It's extremely expensive compared to what's out there. I lurk r/mechmarket and geekhack pretty often to see if I can pick one up (left hand side only) for cheap but they sell quickly. I might still build one. I used to play on a Pok3r but that was too big for console gaming. In the past (XIM3 days), I used the G13 but I wasn't a fan of it. I built a Let's Split keyboard and like the G13, I couldn't really get used to the ortholinear layout of the keys. Also, same as the G13 once again, I felt it could use another row of keys up top. I almost purchased a Mistel Barocco but the right side would never get any use. I eventually came across the Koolertron and that has everything I need. Mechanical switches, small footprint, onboard memory for macros, and plenty of keys.
Xbox One X
XIM Apex
Logitech G502 12k DPI @ 1000Hz
Koolertron Gateron Black Switches
Zowie P-SR
Acer GN246HL
Astro Mixamp (first gen)
Sennheiser PC37X

Offline Fox McCloud

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02:22 PM - 08/22/18 »
It's extremely expensive compared to what's out there. I lurk r/mechmarket and geekhack pretty often to see if I can pick one up (left hand side only) for cheap but they sell quickly. I might still build one. I used to play on a Pok3r but that was too big for console gaming. In the past (XIM3 days), I used the G13 but I wasn't a fan of it. I built a Let's Split keyboard and like the G13, I couldn't really get used to the ortholinear layout of the keys. Also, same as the G13 once again, I felt it could use another row of keys up top. I almost purchased a Mistel Barocco but the right side would never get any use. I eventually came across the Koolertron and that has everything I need. Mechanical switches, small footprint, onboard memory for macros, and plenty of keys.

I've used ortho-linear in the past and it has not been a problem for me. I have this Koolertron on my radar.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076LTRDY2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A59OO3NF467ZG&psc=1

Is there software that comes with the Koolertron? Does it have remapping capabilities? I don't necessarily need macros because I script them with Xim Link.

I wish i had the technical expertise to build my own keyboard. My optimal layout (for gaming) would be a mirrored numpad with the arrow keys on the right of it.
XIM APEX | XIM LINK | XBOX One S | Razer OrbWeaver (Razer Orange/Cherry Brown equivalent) | Logitech G502 (3.5K DPI & 1K Hz) | Asus 24" (VG245H) | Destiny 2

Offline wicked96ta

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04:12 PM - 08/22/18 »
This is the one I have with Black Gateron switches https://www.amazon.com/Koolertron-Programmable-Mechanical-Keyboard-Single-Handed/dp/B071VRV8FW/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1534974330&sr=1-4&keywords=koolertron

But to answer your questions yes you can remap buttons. The download URL for the software is printed on a piece of paper in the box. Not exactly re-assuring, but whatever. The software is Windows-only, but it's a fairly straightforward program, even if it's got a bad case of the badly translated Chinese. I think it also comes with "4 layers" in case you want to have different profiles where the keys do different things. You don't have to do anything else once it's configured to your liking. Kinda like an ErgoDox. Although, I think the Ergo might be able to do more. Honestly, if you want an Ergo but don't want to spend too much, the Koolertron is actually pretty good. The only issue I had was finding keycap sets for the gamepad. Luckily for me, I collect grab bags of DSA profiled keys so I was able to find a key for the "space bar" in a color that matched the rest of the keys.

Xbox One X
XIM Apex
Zowie P-SR
Acer GN246HL
Astro Mixamp (first gen)
Sennheiser PC37X

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #4 on: 05:22 PM - 08/22/18 »
I have the Ergodox Ez Shine and fekking love it for both work and gaming. Ortholinear keys are superb for typing, I make far fewer errors than an offset kb.

Mine has Brown switches as I bought it second-hand on eBay (brand new). They are tactile switches, so I dampen them with O-rings. Given it's an all-purpose keyboard rather than just for gaming, I was happy with the Browns. For gaming though, I probably would have opted for reds, but it's makes no tangible difference to gameplay.

The main reason I bought it was the thumb cluster to make better use of our most dextrous digit. I previously used a Z-Board Fang and had at least 5 keys bound to my thumb - the Ergodox was the only mech kb that came close to that familiar layout.

Take a look at my layouts, I went through a tonne of iterations -
https://configure.ergodox-ez.com/tags?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=antithesis&button=

Note that all of my Shift, Alt, Cmd etc modifiers have separate layers, so I never need to hold a key down, e.g instead of Cmd + C, its Cmd then C.

Also, something as simple as moving CapsLock away from my left pinky across to the right-side of the kb, tucked out of the way, is a huge productivity booster. I used to accidentally tap Caps on a frequent basis, now it's a complete non-issue.

I have separate gaming layers where mouse buttons like Middle Click, Button 4, Button 5, Scroll Up & Down are mapped to the kb. Xim sees them as such, so I can easily replicate mouse functionality on the kb. Layers also allow me to do things like binding d-pad to WASD if I hold down a key, but in practice I never use the d-pad layer.

The one thing that doesn't quite work properly on Xim is the dual-function keys. For example, you can have Sprint as a tap and Walk as a hold on the same key. For some reason, Xim needs a double-tap and it's not always consistent, so I removed the dual-function keys.

Overall, the Ergodox EZ is the best kb I've ever owned. I'm close to launching my Twitch channel and will have a hand-cam showing my mouse and the the right-side of the EZ.

I have a Wooting Two on order, but that's mostly so I can free up the EZ on the desk for gaming, rather than constantly switching back and forward between Xim and Mac / PC, and having to move half the kb every time I do it.

Note that Ergodox EZs do pop up on eBay from time to time in new condition. People pull them out of the box, decide they don't like ortholinear, then sell them instead of taking the time to get used to it. It took me a few weeks and I find it hard to go back to a kb with clunky offset rows.
« Last Edit: 03:55 PM - 08/23/18 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline wicked96ta

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09:22 PM - 08/22/18 »
Note that Ergodox EZs do pop up on eBay from time to time in new condition. People pull them out of the box, decide they don't like ortholinear, then sell them instead of taking the time to get used to it.

I'll keep my eyes open for one, thanks. 
Xbox One X
XIM Apex
Zowie P-SR
Acer GN246HL
Astro Mixamp (first gen)
Sennheiser PC37X

Offline Fox McCloud

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07:15 AM - 08/23/18 »
Excellent info Antithesis! This is exactly what I would expect, unfortunately I just hadn't heard much about it. Of course the price tag is a bit much, but I see plenty of people walking around with watches that cost more.

I did look on Ebay and saw a minor discount. The best part about buying the ErgoDox EZ used or "Like New" is the fact that the switches are hot-swappable so I can just buy some Cherry speeds and swap em.

Offline Fox McCloud

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07:18 AM - 08/23/18 »
But to answer your questions yes you can remap buttons. The download URL for the software is printed on a piece of paper in the box. Not exactly re-assuring, but whatever. The software is Windows-only, but it's a fairly straightforward program, even if it's got a bad case of the badly translated Chinese. I think it also comes with "4 layers" in case you want to have different profiles where the keys do different things. You don't have to do anything else once it's configured to your liking. Kinda like an ErgoDox. Although, I think the Ergo might be able to do more. Honestly, if you want an Ergo but don't want to spend too much, the Koolertron is actually pretty good. The only issue I had was finding keycap sets for the gamepad. Luckily for me, I collect grab bags of DSA profiled keys so I was able to find a key for the "space bar" in a color that matched the rest of the keys.

Thanks for the info. I might just hold out until I take a leap on the ErgoDox EZ since the real reason I would even look into a Koolertron is the customization of the key layout so i can hit more buttons with my thumb. I have a bad habit of spending progressively more on many products when I could just save a ton of money and buy the product I know I'll end up getting in the long run anyway :D.

Offline wicked96ta

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03:49 PM - 08/23/18 »

Thanks for the info. I might just hold out until I take a leap on the ErgoDox EZ since the real reason I would even look into a Koolertron is the customization of the key layout so i can hit more buttons with my thumb.

No worries. That's the exact same reason I bought the Koolertron, because it was somewhat similar to the ErgoDox. I do try to keep my eyes open for them.
Xbox One X
XIM Apex
Zowie P-SR
Acer GN246HL
Astro Mixamp (first gen)
Sennheiser PC37X

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #9 on: 03:57 PM - 08/23/18 »
Excellent info Antithesis! This is exactly what I would expect, unfortunately I just hadn't heard much about it. Of course the price tag is a bit much, but I see plenty of people walking around with watches that cost more.

I did look on Ebay and saw a minor discount. The best part about buying the ErgoDox EZ used or "Like New" is the fact that the switches are hot-swappable so I can just buy some Cherry speeds and swap em.
I got lucky with mine. It was discounted by 20% and I stacked that with a 10% off eBay voucher. Given it's primarily for work, I also claimed it as a business expense.

If you're looking for a one-handed gamepad version, check out https://falba.tech/customize-your-keyboard/customize-your-gaming-ergodox-one-hand/. I almost went this route myself. I'd recommend the 40 key version for two more keys in the thumb cluster.

Alternately, use the contact form on https://shop.profetkeyboards.com/products with your specs and the guy will send a quote. I found this to be pretty expensive and opted for the full Ergodox EZ instead.
« Last Edit: 04:04 PM - 08/23/18 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline wicked96ta

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05:35 PM - 08/23/18 »

Alternately, use the contact form on https://shop.profetkeyboards.com/products with your specs and the guy will send a quote. I found this to be pretty expensive and opted for the full Ergodox EZ instead.

This site has so may options for the cases!! Bookmarked. Thanks.
Xbox One X
XIM Apex
Zowie P-SR
Acer GN246HL
Astro Mixamp (first gen)
Sennheiser PC37X