XIM Community

debugger failure: right x-axis stick  (Read 2658 times)

Offline F22Gaiden

• View Profile
debugger failure: right x-axis stick
« on: 02:23 AM - 11/08/10 »
Well I have done about 3 hours of reading on this problem and they all seem to point to the sad fact that I need a replacement unit. Although I do not know if I am even eligible for one. I have had this XIM2 for about 2 years (I think) with no problems. If I am eligible for a replacement please let me know how to go about it. Black Ops is less than 24hrs away from being released and I wont have my precious XIM2 to play with...

Offline SirWildcard

• View Profile
Re: debugger failure: right x-axis stick
« Reply #1 on: 11:49 AM - 11/08/10 »
Same problem here, though mine was broken out of the box.

I recently bought a pre-build XIM2 controller. I live in Europe, so I had to wait three weeks before it arrived. Anyways, I plugged it in, software installed quickly. But I have the exact same problem as F22Garden. I can only move to the left/backwards. If I try to go forward/right, my character just moves in the opposite direction.

At first I thought Mass Effect caused the problem. But the same 'effect' occurred in Battlefield, so I fired up the debugger. See the output below:

>>> Iteration: 1
XIM       : <*>Y <*>X < >B <*>A <*>LS
>D < >U < 10683>RSX < -9692>RSY <  70
Controller: <*>Y <*>X < >B <*>A <*>LS
>D < >U <  1029>RSX < -1697>RSY < -10

Debugger FAILURE: Right X-Axis Stick

Fortunatly, even this broken (?) controller is wayyyy more comfortable than the analogue joysticks, haha. Seriously though, this is a bit of a disappointment. Do you guys have a magic trick to solve this problem, or is a replacement unit the only option?
« Last Edit: 12:14 PM - 11/08/10 by SirWildcard »

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01:37 PM - 11/08/10 »
Well I have done about 3 hours of reading on this problem and they all seem to point to the sad fact that I need a replacement unit. Although I do not know if I am even eligible for one. I have had this XIM2 for about 2 years (I think) with no problems. If I am eligible for a replacement please let me know how to go about it. Black Ops is less than 24hrs away from being released and I wont have my precious XIM2 to play with...

Have you recalibrated? Please post your calibration file. Is your problem constant? What iteration did the failure occur on in your stress test?

Seriously though, this is a bit of a disappointment. Do you guys have a magic trick to solve this problem, or is a replacement unit the only option?

I'm sorry you are having issues and the fact that you live overseas really makes this a whole lot worse. Other than making sure your calibration is going successfully the only other thing you could do would be to pop open the controller and check for either a bad solder joint or a bridged connection.

First things first though and this applies to both of you. Locate your ximcalibrate.ini file and right click on it and check the date and time modified.. also take note of the values in the file itself. Run ximcalibrate as administrator and check the date modified on your .ini file again, check the values inside the file. Did they change? If neither the date modified changed or the values changed you may have admin right problems in windows.

Ok so to check for a damaged or bridged solder joint you will need to open your controller and on the backside of the controller it will look like the image below. Arrow #1 points to "D1" which is your right stick's X axis. It should look just like it does in the picture, it is a vertical solder joint and should not touch the left or right solder joints beside it.

Arrow #2 is just a common bridge problem that I see alot. This shouldn't apply to your situation but just be sure the points in arrow #2 aren't touching eachother.
« Last Edit: 04:35 PM - 11/08/10 by mist4fun »
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline SirWildcard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02:38 PM - 11/08/10 »
@mist4fun:
Thanks for your quick and elaborate reply. I just recalibrated the controller a couple of times, and posted the contents of the .ini file below. The modification-date/time of the file is correct, so there is no permissions problem.

I have no clue how to interpret the values. But at first glance, it seems to me that OffsetRY and the RatioRX have a rather large variation.

First Run:
[Calibration]
OffsetRX=-522
OffsetRY=-1286
OffsetLX=-689
OffsetLY=3718
OffsetRT=-1584
OffsetLT=-1136
RatioRX=1.
RatioRY=1.
RatioLX=1.
RatioLY=1.
RatioRT=1.
RatioLT=1.

Second run:
[Calibration]
OffsetRX=-549
OffsetRY=-11652
OffsetLX=-689
OffsetLY=3704
OffsetRT=-664
OffsetLT=-3080
RatioRX=1.13925087452
RatioRY=1.
RatioLX=1.
RatioLY=1.
RatioRT=1.
RatioLT=1.

Third run:
[Calibration]
OffsetRX=-10629
OffsetRY=4844
OffsetLX=-682
OffsetLY=3678
OffsetRT=0
OffsetLT=0
RatioRX=2.24090766907
RatioRY=1.
RatioLX=1.
RatioLY=1.
RatioRT=1.
RatioLT=1.

« Last Edit: 03:16 PM - 11/08/10 by SirWildcard »

Offline SirWildcard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03:08 PM - 11/08/10 »
I just opened up the controller, and I made a photo of the solder joints (sorry for the low quality, I made it with my HTC).

The D1-solderjoint seems to be just fine. The USB-solderjoints are not as neat as the ones in your picture. The green and white joints are quite close to each other. However, while these joints won't win the nobel prize for soldering (ghehe), they are not bridged either, so I guess they function properly as well.

« Last Edit: 03:38 PM - 11/08/10 by SirWildcard »

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03:34 PM - 11/08/10 »
It looks like there is solder splash around your usb solder joints(arrow 2). You're sure those splashes aren't bridging somehow?

The fact that your calibration is showing "1." for most of it's values usually means windows can't see your xim2 OR the usb connection on the xim2 chip is bridged. Check the splashes again. Next plug both usb cables into your pc and pull up your device manager. Check for unknown devices, or exclamation marks under xim360.

Offline SirWildcard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03:53 PM - 11/08/10 »
When I connect the controller, the node 'XBOX 360 controller for Windows' pops up in the device manager. There are no exclamationmarks (except for my driverless high def audio bus). So according to the device manager, the controller is working properly.

However, you're probably right about the joints. I inspected these with a small loupe, and I think they are interconnected other after all. I hadn't noticed the tiny splashes before.

The V5V and VD- may be connected. And to be honest.. the VD+ and VGD as well. Unfortunatly, I do not have a soldering iron, nor do I have the necessary skills to fix this.. :S
« Last Edit: 03:59 PM - 11/08/10 by SirWildcard »

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04:07 PM - 11/08/10 »
Regardless it shouldn't have came to you this way so it's under warranty. However I'm just suggesting this to spare you another long wait for a new unit.

A soldering iron is going to be about seven dollars and you may not even need to buy solder. Just heat up the iron and the solder splashes will be pulled towards the heat and stick to the iron. You can look up youtube videos on soldering and even practice beforehand. Maybe you have a few old soundcards or motherboards lying around that you can practice on. Go this route if you're positive that the joints are bridged. Otherwise it could be a software issue. What OS and bit are you running?

Offline SirWildcard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04:21 PM - 11/08/10 »
@mist4fun:

With a minuscule needle, I was able to gently 'scrub' over the two tiny splashes that may have connected the joints (read: very gently, as I didn't want to nullify the warranty). The two splashes came off more easily than expected. I'm now very sure that the joints are not brigded. Without results though. The debugger still gives me the same output as it did before: "Debugger FAILURE: Right X-Axis Stick"

I'm currently testing the controller on my WinXP-x86 laptop.

My home-PC runs on Win7-x64. Maybe I should've mentioned this earlier, but for some reason, the x64 software kept spamming 401-errors at me. It didn't even calibrate during the install. After reading the forums, I noticed many people were experiencing problems with Win7-x64. I figured my best bet was to eliminate the OS-factor, and test on my laptop.

The installation on WinXP-x86 went smooth; even the calibration-process finished successfully. Is there any way I can verify that this is (not) a software issue? And uh, this may be a dumb question but.. this issue can't related to latest dashboard-update, can it?

It's getting quite late already, so I'm going to bed in a couple of minutes. Anyways, thanks a lot for your help mist4fun, your input is highly appreciated!

« Last Edit: 04:42 PM - 11/08/10 by SirWildcard »

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04:24 PM - 11/08/10 »
When you had both usb cables plugged into your pc were you able to see "xim360" in your device manager? What OS and bit are you running?

Offline SirWildcard

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04:50 PM - 11/08/10 »
When you had both usb cables plugged into your pc were you able to see "xim360" in your device manager? What OS and bit are you running?

I'm sorry, I edited the post above a gazillion times. But I'm running Windows XP 32bit on my laptop, and Windows 7 64bit on my personal computer. Both systems recognize the controller, and show it in their device-managers under the name 'XBOX 360 controller for Windows'.  :-\

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05:04 PM - 11/08/10 »
You don't see xim360 in your device manager? Or even an unknown device? Nothing happens when you plug in the xim2 cable to the computer.. a noise? A popup? Have you tried other usb ports ?

Offline SirWildcard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05:18 PM - 11/08/10 »
You're right; Haha, I'm sorry for being such an utter noob when it comes to computers/tech.

First I plug in the black cable. The laptop makes a 'plongdong' sound. The devicemanager refreshes and under 'Microsoft common controller for windows' appears the node 'Xbox 360 controller for windows'.

Then I plug in the white cable. Again, the laptop makes a 'plongdong' sound. The devicemanager refreshes, and under 'universal serial bus controllers' is a new node called 'XIM 360'.

The property-dialogs of the devices show that they're both working properly, and all necessary drives are installed.
« Last Edit: 11:29 PM - 11/08/10 by SirWildcard »

Offline SirWildcard

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03:04 PM - 11/09/10 »
This afternoon I installed the xim-software on yet another (third) computer. This time the operating system was Vista 32bit. The debugger gave the exact same output as on my WinXp 32bit laptop. I think that this result pretty much rules out the possibility of a software issue.

Other than buying a multimeter and checking the soldering joints, I can't think of something else I could do to debug the hardware. Even if I would find the problem and could theoretically fix it by re-soldering a joint (or two), I really don't want to risk screwing it up and voiding my warranty.

So I would like to make use of the warranty, and request a replacement controller.

However, my main concern is the following. Sending the controller to the US takes about 3 weeks. And it'll take another 3 weeks to send the replacement item to me. That's a long time, especially considering I bought BlackOps today. Is there any way to speed up this process?

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03:47 PM - 11/09/10 »
Believe me I feel your pain. Maybe you can work something out with shipping guy. Send "shippingguy" a pm detailing your defect and your concern on the shipping time. Do you remember which carrier they used to send your xim? I've heard good things about USPS International.