XIM Community

Fortnite - what's your XP grind strategy?  (Read 3523 times)

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Fortnite - what's your XP grind strategy?
« on: 10:19 PM - 06/27/18 »
I've jumped back into Fortnite this week to grind the Omega skin and I've settled into a pattern that is racking up decent XP and fits comfortably with my play-style. 

I would have thought that kills generate more XP, but it's survival time that seems to matter most. My goal is simply to finish in the Top 10 for around 1000XP per match for the quickest progress. I don't really care what happens at that point due to diminishing returns, rinse and repeat.

I'm an older gamer, so run-and-gunning with a shotgun around Tilted, whilst fun to snag an occasional rampage, isn't going to get me the most consistent result, nor the most XP. More often than not, if I push hard, i'm the one who ends up with a face full of buckshot. Nor am I particularly good at building yet, so a fort battle is off-the-cards most of the time.

Instead, I'm blowing through the grind by roaching around as stealthily as possible, plucking off stray rats, preferably with a Scar, Hunting Rifle, SMG, Sticky Grenade and my favourite, the Silenced Pistol (most peeps have no idea how to react). On average, it's only about 4 kills per game, with the occasional spike if I get lucky baiting a honey pot or get a good run.

To achieve as much XP per game, I drop in a smaller regional zone with known chest spots, take out the first player or two competing for that location, then steadily work my way into the circle. I've been consistently hitting the top 5, then taking out 3 of the last 4 for the win, when I do get a win.

Stickies are for taking out forts (otherwise I'm screwed on the low ground) while I sneak around looking for the best angle for the kill. Even though taking the high ground is sensible, I don't particularly like camping in a fort because it telegraphs your position and sniping ain't my forté.

I know it's grand to beat one's chest, claim you're a sniping god or building guru and wipe testicle sweat on the dead as you carve a path of destruction in your wake, but what strategy are you gents really using to reduce the grind?
« Last Edit: 02:24 AM - 06/28/18 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline thediscobiscuits

• B4L
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: BISCOJOE-42
Re: Fortnite - what's your XP grind strategy?
« Reply #1 on: 11:40 PM - 06/27/18 »
haha, love it.

i do the same thing pretty much, i try and complete battle pass challenges and do the same thing. from being someone that used to play h1z1 on PC a lot... i do the same tactics as you. kinda move my way into the circle or get lucky and the circle closes in on me, i suck at building to be honest but i'm getting better at it over time. i can't stand when i'm going after someone and clearly am gonna get the kill and they just like... outbuild me and other dumb stuff then get some jumping shotgun kill... so annoying lol
Logitech G Pro Hero
Zowie G-SR SE Mousepad
Zowie Camade Bungee
BenQ XL2411Z 144Hz Monitor
Ducky One Tenkeyless Cherry MX Reds
PS4 Pro

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #2 on: 12:07 AM - 06/28/18 »
One thing I wish I knew earlier is that daily and weekly challenges convert to XP once you hit Battle Pass level 100. I had weeks 4-8 either partially completed or not touched at all when I finished up the Battle Pass on Monday, which worked out advantageously.

I do all of the Save the World dailies for V-bucks and spent them in Battle Royale on level-ups, which made the Battle Pass a walk in the park. For mid XP levels, that ends up saving a tonne of time when you can't afford to play more than an hour or so a day.

With the Battle Pass out of the way, completing the weeklies grants 10K XP instead of 5K XP + stars, while dailies net a tidy 1K XP.  That was a handy boost to go from Level 43 to Level 52 within a few sessions. I'm only aiming for Level 55 for the Omega helm just to have it, I don't care about the level 80 lighting. At current rates, I may hit 65 for Carbine's lights before the season ends, but again that was never on the radar.
« Last Edit: 05:59 PM - 06/28/18 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad

Offline Mongoose87

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01:51 AM - 06/28/18 »
Playing in squads / duos will get you more xp as well. Especially if your teammates have high level battle pass.

Offline Swany1986

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01:54 AM - 06/28/18 »
Haha good read btw :) So fastest way to grind XP hands down is if you just spam squads 24/7 in a decent squad. Where you all have maxed out battle passes prefered, so you all get the max friend XP gain. Max friend XP is 40% i think, stack that 4 times in squads, plus the already increased XP gain from your own battle pass.. Its the fastest way to lvl 100, but you get @#$% all for hitting lvl 100 anyway. So ye spam squads constantly and with good people, get somewhere around 40-50% winrate and you'll be swimming in XP, if the rest you play with have battle passes ofcourse. LvL 80 honestly dosent take that long in squads tbh. But if your a solo kind of guy then XP comes at a slow pace, solo's for me are fun now and again when no one is online, but i cba spamming them 24/7.. The game is alot more fun with casual talk and some teamwork pushing imo.

Tbh kills should give alot of XP imo, ''BUT THEY DONT'' Its all about your placement. Hope they change it in the future.

Here is a video explaining it: https://youtu.be/KkiXvtTtfco?t=383

Btw just for the record im not a Doom Clan fan by any means, cant stand any of them and the way they make there vid's. But it was the first example i found.

Maybe people would be up for some XIM squads together? Would it be a good idea if we made a community on PS4 for just us Fortnite Ximmers and people could just type in there if they needed a squad. I know we have a XIM Community on PS4 already, but lets be honest its pretty dead :)

Offline GitGud

• MVP
  • THE PUBG GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03:46 AM - 06/28/18 »
No strategy. Just play the game and have fun.
My Current Setup + CouchMaster Review | PUBG Config | Warface Config | XIM Apex | Xbox One X |
SteelSeries Rival 600 | SteelSeries Dex | SteelSeries Apex M500 | SteelSeries Siberia 800 | Turtle Beach Stream Mic | 27' iiyama G-Master | CouchMaster Cycon

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #6 on: 03:57 AM - 06/28/18 »
Playing in squads / duos will get you more xp as well. Especially if your teammates have high level battle pass.
That only works if your team-mates are genuinely good, the team is coordinated and you consistently receive placement rewards, but point taken. At maxed Battle Pass for all squad members, XP is doubled.

Tbh kills should give alot of XP imo, ''BUT THEY DONT'' Its all about your placement. Hope they change it in the future.
I understand why kills are worth almost nothing to keep the pointy end of player-base active, but it's unrewarding when time beats skills. Not that anyone should go into a match to avoid other players, but simply outliving them earns greater rewards. Even a modest bump to 100 XP per kill would be a worthwhile motivation to get more kills and play more, quicker games.
« Last Edit: 06:00 PM - 06/28/18 by antithesis »

Offline G502Killer

• MVP
  • Please Delete My Account
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Delete
« Reply #7 on: 08:57 AM - 06/28/18 »
from being someone that used to play h1z1 on PC a lot...
Most people here probably won't get what this means, but as a very good FPS player, I can verify that H1 on PC is the hardest game I ever played. My playstyle in H1 was never like my playstyle in other games. Never ended up getting royalty... Diamond 1 was my peak back on PS4.
Please Delete My Account

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10:03 AM - 06/28/18 »
wow weeklies give 10000 exp once you hit 100?
that means there actually a super minor chance i can rack up enough exp!
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #9 on: 04:00 PM - 06/28/18 »
wow weeklies give 10000 exp once you hit 100?
that means there actually a super minor chance i can rack up enough exp!
10K total XP rather than 5K XP + stars. Hard challenges convert to 1000 XP, easy ones to 500 XP. Daily challenges all change to 1K XP.

Heading into next season I now know that the primary objective should be to go for Top 10 finishes and max Battle Pass asap. Complete as few Weekly challenges and as many Daily and bonus star challenges as possible. Once BP is maxed, cash in the banked Weeklies and ensure Dailies get done for bonus XP.

If I had played consistently throughout the season and worked out this strat earlier, level 80 would have been pretty achievable solo. But it realistically requires about 2.5 to 3 hours a day at 2.5K XP / hour plus XP rewards to hit 80. I don't have time for that, I play more than one game. It'd be far less time in Squads due to double XP bonus (3 x 40% + 120%), but that's not viable for many.

My rough calculations are we need to aim for 400 Top 10 finishes plus daily / weekly XP rewards to hit level 80. The grind to level 100 is more than double that, but there's no reward for going above 80. A bump to 100 XP per kill would significantly reduce the grind for your average player and make aggressive play more rewarding than simply roaching to kill time.

Interestingly, to hit level 100 also requires 3 hours a day, assuming you play Squads the entire time for double XP. So Epic's objective here is to ensure you play ONLY their game for the duration of the entire season, either in Solo or Squads if you want to get the best gear and max the level caps. Marketing 101.

BTW, Solo vs Duo or Solo vs Squad is less rewarding than Solo because placement bonuses aren't rewarded and kill XP is crap. There's a video on YouTube about it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqyACvRUjmg
« Last Edit: 05:55 PM - 06/28/18 by antithesis »

Offline nutnsbolts

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06:22 PM - 06/28/18 »
I'm currently 75 now and I have 5 more levels to go and two more weeks of Battlepass XP (nevermind the daily XP) which should get me to 80 in a few days... I think.

Obviously playing with Squads that are maxed out also adds to this and quiet honestly, I think just keep grinding with top tier squads help tons!

Offline d1sable

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: YouTube_d1sable
« Reply #11 on: 12:34 AM - 06/29/18 »
I pretty much only play solo and am level 99 I think.

I don't play all that much currently but did at the start of the season.

Can be done I guess but I brought 30 tiers of Battle Pass which means I get the xp from weeklies for a while now

Offline Vitas

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Vitas
« Reply #12 on: 08:33 AM - 07/06/18 »
Mainly squads with other players with xp boosts or just doing a ton of solos. Also to get better at building you should not be scared to try and build against someone else. You should also use the playground mode yoo and practice your building there.

Offline sbfx

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08:48 AM - 07/06/18 »
Been playing 50v50 in a squad of 4, all with friend xp boost.

We go to enemy territory and pick people off from behind. It's surprisingly fun.

Each game yields about 1000 xp but it's fun and low stress.