XIM Community

Tutorial - Ballistic Curve Guide (Part 1)  (Read 916 times)

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Tutorial - Ballistic Curve Guide (Part 1)
« on: 08:03 PM - 06/25/18 »
It turned out to take way more time than expected, but here is finally the Ballistic Curve Tutorial :).
Almost all scenarios are covered, the remaining ones with more complex graphs will be handled in a second video.
Id say after watching this video it should be possible to understand pretty much any curve, or to create your own one!

Link to previous tutorials:

Remove Mouse Stutter: http://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=67397.0
Best Mouse & XIM Polling Rate: http://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=66646.0
How To Increase & Decrease Aim Assist: http://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=66110.0
Best XIM Mouse DPI Settings: http://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=65749.0
How To Find Your Perfect Mouse Sensitivity: http://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=60845.0
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay
Du sprichst Deutsch? Hier gehts zum deutschen Forum

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
Re: Tutorial - Ballistic Curve Guide (Part 1)
« Reply #1 on: 08:05 PM - 06/25/18 »
Great stuff Od1n, I'm sure the community will greatly appreciate the effort you put into this!

Offline Die_Hard

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: aalsarram
« Reply #2 on: 10:59 PM - 06/25/18 »
Thank you od1n. I think most of the community was waiting for this tutorial

Offline Deazly

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08:47 AM - 06/26/18 »
Another amazing video with lots of info. I didn't realize curves could do so much.

Question. I want to avoid using acceleration so I can train my muscle memory better.

Straight lines of the curve add no mouse acceleration, correct?

I basically tested RMLs curve, but averaged it into a straight line. Feels very snappy.

Offline MRog40

• MVP
  • FPS games are 10% Aim and 90% positioning
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: MRog40
« Reply #4 on: 12:34 PM - 06/26/18 »
I basically tested RMLs curve, but averaged it into a straight line. Feels very snappy.
If you averaged it into a straight line, all you did was change your sensitivity.
Xim Apex | PS4 | PC | G502 | Corsair K65 LUX RGB | C24FG70 | Astro A40 TR | QcK XXL

Offline Deazly

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01:03 PM - 06/26/18 »
If you averaged it into a straight line, all you did was change your sensitivity.

Wait, correct me if I am wrong:

- A linear curve, straight like, can add more then sensitivity if it's above the 1:1 ratio. That's explained in the video. 1:3 for example.

How I'm testing/using this in game: ballistic curve is linear. 0 is normal. Then at 1/3x it goes to 100% y. So when I hit 66% turn. It's already at 100% turn. Thus higher then the mouse 1:1.

It seems that the 1:1 mouse does not work well with AA which is designed for an AA with an analog stick controller. I'm hoping if my mouse movement hit full speed sooner I can use AA more cleanly.

Edit:  Re-watched the video. Is this acceleration? :(the 70% example from the video. 1:1.43 ratio and then at 70-100% mouse in game is 100%).
« Last Edit: 01:36 PM - 06/26/18 by Deazly »

Offline jalalsami_87

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: Jalalsami_87
« Reply #6 on: 02:04 AM - 06/27/18 »
Thank you sir.

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10:37 AM - 06/28/18 »
Question. I want to avoid using acceleration so I can train my muscle memory better.

Straight lines of the curve add no mouse acceleration, correct?

yes exactly, any original straight will just scale your mouse sensitivity without adding any acceleration
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10:41 AM - 06/28/18 »
Edit:  Re-watched the video. Is this acceleration? :(the 70% example from the video. 1:1.43 ratio and then at 70-100% mouse in game is 100%).

no its not acceleration, the curve is a straight line starting in the origin so it just changes your xim sensitivity by 1.43
if you would multiply your xim sensitivity with 1.43 you would have the same mouse speed + you would also hit the maximum turnspeed sooner (so exactly what the curve does)

aim assist is programmed for analog sticks, which are based on acceleration
so as soon as you either make your xim inputs appear more like analog inputs, or you add (de)acceleration, you will have more aim assist

RML's curve is made to counter the moments in which the aim assist usually kicks in, so if you want its full effect then i wouldnt change the curve
overall though there are better ways to increase and decrease the aim assist then using a curve, check out this tutorial:
http://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=66110.0

Offline Deazly

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05:09 PM - 06/28/18 »
Thank you Odin.

To make sure I understand this correctly..... Using the 1:1.43 example:

The 1.43 curve is identical to increasing your sensitivity by x1.43? There are no differences? Also if this is true ( there is no difference) then using a linear (straight) ballistic curve is kinda pointless, might as well just increase your sensitivity.

Or is this not true and a linear straight BC CAN achieve max turn speed faster from the curve, or produce other changes with aiming.

I feel that they are different but this may be placebo.

Thanks!

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05:28 PM - 06/28/18 »
Thank you Odin.

To make sure I understand this correctly..... Using the 1:1.43 example:

The 1.43 curve is identical to increasing your sensitivity by x1.43? There are no differences? Also if this is true ( there is no difference) then using a linear (straight) ballistic curve is kinda pointless, might as well just increase your sensitivity.

Or is this not true and a linear straight BC CAN achieve max turn speed faster from the curve, or produce other changes with aiming.

I feel that they are different but this may be placebo.

Thanks!

you re right theres basically no difference to just changing your xim sensitivity, the linear straight in the video was shown to show that not every ballistic curve automatically introduces acceleration

Offline odazzlao

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: dazzla
« Reply #11 on: 04:53 AM - 07/21/18 »
All I want to do is play on one of the 3 sensitivities on my mouse (g502) but if I flick it fast I want to be able to 180 / 360... so what type of curve do I need?
Cheers

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05:03 AM - 07/21/18 »
try the second vehicle curve with the linear rise, or go with the precision curve and increase your base sensitivity :)

Offline FroYo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02:54 PM - 07/24/18 »
Anytime I try and paste a curve in the IOS app I get an ERROR :'( Has anyone else ran into this?

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06:21 PM - 07/24/18 »
Anytime I try and paste a curve in the IOS app I get an ERROR :'( Has anyone else ran into this?

Did you copy the full code including the arrows? If so what error code do you get?