XIM Community

Xim Apex Build is TERRIBLE!  (Read 2665 times)

Offline AutoFOCUSED

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: AutoFOCUSED
Re: Xim Apex Build is TERRIBLE!
« Reply #15 on: 06:53 PM - 06/20/18 »
I actually did a quick search and noticed how many people were having issues with the bad build design. Good to know I'm not the only one. Any --- back to the topic --- anyone else have issues with their Apex?

Offline piiwii

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07:51 PM - 06/20/18 »
Hopefully it's ok for me to disclose this, but as I was a beta tester, one of the things I was required to do was destroy an early sample. I took this as an opportunity to really stress test the device, and trust me - the @#$% thing holds up to a lot of abuse.

If this thing has sold really well, then even a small (percentage wise) amount of defects will amount to a moderately noticeable pool of unhappy customers, in absolute terms. As others have said - I think you just got unlucky.
Setup: XIM Apex, Titan Two, K780 keyboard, G Pro Wireless mouse, Logitech G440 mousepad, LucidSound LS30 headphones, Netduma router, Ubiquiti UniFi AP LR wireless access point

My RAINBOW SIX SIEGE Titan Two Mega Script: https://youtu.be/x-9NtxyySVM

What is a ballistic curve? Click here to learn more: https://bit.ly/2qzUAjg

Comprehensive guide on scissor style keyboards: https://goo.gl/UtkZyX

Find me on the ConsoleTuner (Titan Two) forums: pablosscripts

Offline wicked96ta

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08:05 PM - 06/20/18 »
Sucks that happened to you. What I did was order a 3ft USB cable to avoid exactly what happened to you. I didn't feel comfortable directly plugging my Apex into my Xbox. I've owned every device since the XIM3's release and I always liked that with all of them you plugged a USB cable to your Xbox. I liked the ability of having the XIM itself on my desk within eye view so I can see the colors and know what's going on at all times.
Xbox One X
XIM Apex
Logitech G502 12k DPI @ 1000Hz
Koolertron Gateron Black Switches
Zowie P-SR
Acer GN246HL
Astro Mixamp (first gen)
Sennheiser PC37X

Offline AutoFOCUSED

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08:09 PM - 06/20/18 »
Hopefully it's ok for me to disclose this, but as I was a beta tester, one of the things I was required to do was destroy an early sample. I took this as an opportunity to really stress test the device, and trust me - the @#$% thing holds up to a lot of abuse.

If this thing has sold really well, then even a small (percentage wise) amount of defects will amount to a moderately noticeable pool of unhappy customers, in absolute terms. As others have said - I think you just got unlucky.

Yeah. I can only speak on my experience but ever since purchasing it I felt it had a flimsy feel. When it just fell apart like that I was thoroughly confused. One's experience is going to decide what you think of a product --- considering I was a Xim4 user and own countless other electronics, when I see something crumble that easily, it makes you look a little sideways at it. I'm still crossing my fingers that Xim takes responsibility and replaces it. They just switched up and finally asked for a photo and they're going to see there's no physical damage to it. Thanks for the feedback though.

Offline AutoFOCUSED

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08:11 PM - 06/20/18 »
Sucks that happened to you. What I did was order a 3ft USB cable to avoid exactly what happened to you. I didn't feel comfortable directly plugging my Apex into my Xbox. I've owned every device since the XIM3's release and I always liked that with all of them you plugged a USB cable to your Xbox. I liked the ability of having the XIM itself on my desk within eye view so I can see the colors and know what's going on at all times.

That's probably a really good idea but what's going on now would probably would have happened with a USB cable. The metal part just gets stuck inside the port and while pulling it out it just breaks apart.

Offline wicked96ta

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08:39 PM - 06/20/18 »

That's probably a really good idea but what's going on now would probably would have happened with a USB cable. The metal part just gets stuck inside the port and while pulling it out it just breaks apart.

Yeah, I know my advice isn't exactly useful for you now, but hopefully it helps others. Is there no way that you can assemble your Apex again, maybe glue it too, and try using it with the USB cable? You wouldn't need to pull out the Apex from the cable as often.
Xbox One X
XIM Apex
Logitech G502 12k DPI @ 1000Hz
Koolertron Gateron Black Switches
Zowie P-SR
Acer GN246HL
Astro Mixamp (first gen)
Sennheiser PC37X

Offline Cyanic

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 08:49 PM - 06/20/18 »
I actually did a quick search and noticed how many people were having issues with the bad build design. Good to know I'm not the only one. Any --- back to the topic --- anyone else have issues with their Apex?

Show us photos

Offline AutoFOCUSED

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 09:04 PM - 06/20/18 »

Yeah, I know my advice isn't exactly useful for you now, but hopefully it helps others. Is there no way that you can assemble your Apex again, maybe glue it too, and try using it with the USB cable? You wouldn't need to pull out the Apex from the cable as often.

It reassembles and even works. It's just that anytime I want to take it out the Xbox it does it every time. I don't get it.

Offline AutoFOCUSED

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 09:05 PM - 06/20/18 »

Show us photos

I'm at a hotel out of state again. I'll be back home tomorrow night and I'll post photos.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #24 on: 11:06 PM - 06/20/18 »
I would really like to understand what could have gone wrong here. Given the QA all XIM APEX's go through to make it out of the factory it's very puzzling to how this could have happened. We only use the high quality USB connectors (as mentioned, all connections and anchors are though-hole). Every XIM APEX is analyzed using high resolution cameras to ensure all solder joints are sound. All XIM APEXs are programmed and tested by plugging them in. Meaning, the level of defect that would be required to cause the port the fall off as described would have certainly been detected (either by the automated QA machines or even when being programmed).

I've included some pictures I just took using my digital microscope showing how our USB connectors are connected to the board. It is welded on there.
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline AutoFOCUSED

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 11:43 PM - 06/20/18 »
I would really like to understand what could have gone wrong here. Given the QA all XIM APEX's go through to make it out of the factory it's very puzzling to how this could have happened. We only use the high quality USB connectors (as mentioned, all connections and anchors are though-hole). Every XIM APEX is analyzed using high resolution cameras to ensure all solder joints are sound. All XIM APEXs are programmed and tested by plugging them in. Meaning, the level of defect that would be required to cause the port the fall off as described would have certainly been detected (either by the automated QA machines or even when being programmed).

I've included some pictures I just took using my digital microscope showing how our USB connectors are connected to the board. It is welded on there.

I'm not sure, tbh. I literally pulled it out just like I've pulled it out in the past to run the update and I noticed the plastic dislodged from the actual metal part that goes into the Xbox. When I softened my grip on the Apex, I noticed the top plastic piece on the Apex just fell right off which left the Apex in 3 pieces. It wasn't hard to reassemble as it all clicked right back into place but again --- it shouldn't do that every time I plug it back in and unplug it (I tested 4-5x after reassembling.) Not sure if some joint or clip that keeps everything together was loose or something but I have enough electronics to know that unplugging something out of a USB port should not deconstruct a device unless there is some fault in the build (even if it is a specific defect on the one I received personally.)

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #26 on: 07:56 AM - 06/21/18 »
By plastic piece that came off do you mean the flat rectangular piece from inside the USB connecter itself?

Offline Qilc

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 08:17 AM - 06/21/18 »
Why is everyone so hostile? If my apex broke and I couldn't get it replaced, I'd be pretty annoyed.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #28 on: 09:16 AM - 06/21/18 »
Why is everyone so hostile? If my apex broke and I couldn't get it replaced, I'd be pretty annoyed.

Of course, there is no reason for anyone to be hostile. I'm very interested in discovering the root cause.

Offline alanmcgregor

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 10:59 AM - 06/21/18 »
Very interesting. Sorry that you had such a bad experience.

I have to admit, I had bad luck with USB dongles. When I saw XIM APEX the first time was kind of worry about.

Because basically there is two options:
USB connector settle on top of the PCB or

USB connector coming from the PCB

The latter is more sturdy, is very unlike to the connector to came off (embedded into the PCB) but once the terminals start to worn out can be prone to random malfunctioning and is pretty much useless.

On the other hand, the first -USB connector solder on top of the PCB- it can be more fragile specially if is only welded on top, but can be repaired (replace the connector). I'm talking on my case where guarantee is not that easy, shipment and customs it will be better to just buy a new one, it's worth trying to repair it.

Either way, I had been using a USB extension while doing testing to stress as less as possible my dongle.

Now, that I see pictures posted by OBsIV I feel more confident on its build USB connector is very well welded on-top and around, nice.

I do avoid ports with heated surroundings like the back port on the PS4 Pro. It is very unlikely that the weld weakens due excessive heat exposure or constant current (charging), but... for peace of mind I prefer the front ports. Again, I had very bad luck with dongles so I'm extra careful with APEX.

Once due an Earthquake (09/17/2017) my console fall forwards and it has a USB memory connected the dongle was damage very similar as how OP show on its pictures. I'm not implying that happened to OP... I'm saying it needs a very strong hit to the connector came off, that memory was very sturdy, had it for 7 years. My console was on a vertical stand, from now on horizontal. Lesson lived, lesson learnt

Admin