XIM Community

Does anyone use high DPI with cloth mouse pads?  (Read 718 times)

Offline Anonn

• View Profile
I am thinking of upgrading to a larger mousepad as my Steelseries Dex just isn't cutting my arm aiming.

I play on 3200 DPI but in case I ever have to go much higher I am just wondering if high DPI (4000+ DPI) is playable on cloth.

Online Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone use high DPI with cloth mouse pads?
« Reply #1 on: 04:00 AM - 06/07/18 »
4000 dpi is the border you want to go with cloth mousepads, if you eg go 12000 dpi and move your mouse very slowly in circles or squares you will notice a medium to strong micro stutter depending on how thin/thick the cloth-fibres are and how the density of those is

overall theres hardly any gain in terms of mouse movements when going from eg 4000 to 12000 dpi, your mouse movements will not get noticeably better (on a perfect mousepad surface)
so you might as well continue to rock 3200 dpi :)

here is a DPI video tutorial for XIM that i did a while ago that covers this question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBgtGPBMQiQ
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay
Du sprichst Deutsch? Hier gehts zum deutschen Forum

Offline PcSkeng

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06:29 AM - 06/07/18 »
I am thinking of upgrading to a larger mousepad as my Steelseries Dex just isn't cutting my arm aiming.

I play on 3200 DPI but in case I ever have to go much higher I am just wondering if high DPI (4000+ DPI) is playable on cloth.

I used to play 12k dpi ok cloth and it was fine but I moved to the Steelseries Dex which is has a mixed feeling between both and it does feel better.

3200dpi moving up to 4000k isnít much faster youíll probably not even need to change your Xim sensitivity.
| Xim Apex ~ Logitech G502 ~ Corsair K70 Lux RGB Cherry MX Brown ~ Sony Nav ~ SteelSeries Dex ~ Astro A40 TR + TR MixAmp ~ PlayStation 4 |

Offline lmulli

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09:30 AM - 06/07/18 »
Also have a Dex and can't stand it - its like rolling your mouse over rumble strips!

I have used a Roccat Taito Control, a Coolermaster Swift-RX and a Turtle Beach Traction/Drift with my G502 at 12k DPI with no issues whatsoever.  I currently run the mouse at 3200k DPI which I find works just as good as 12k.  I also have a number of hard pads (MM600, G440, Sphex, Perixx DX2100XL) which also work flawlessly, and haven't noticed any real difference in being able to do small circles in contrast to the cloth pads. For anyone after a hard pad to try without breaking the bank, the Perixx, which is a Sphex like stick on pad can be had from Amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N6C8LJX/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=  or https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6C8LJX/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

I also created a table for myself relating to sens settings at different DPI settings (12k, 4k, 38.k and 3.2k) and different sync types, so can swap freely from one to another with no noticeable change in my aiming as the distance to achieve 360 at both hip and ads remain the same.  I disagree with the above comment that by switching from 3.2k to 4k you won't need to adjust your sensitivity, you will, unless you want different turn speeds.

« Last Edit: 09:42 AM - 06/07/18 by lmulli »

Offline PcSkeng

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09:55 AM - 06/07/18 »
Also have a Dex and can't stand it - its like rolling your mouse over rumble strips!

I have used a Roccat Taito Control, a Coolermaster Swift-RX and a Turtle Beach Traction/Drift with my G502 at 12k DPI with no issues whatsoever.  I currently run the mouse at 3200k DPI which I find works just as good as 12k.  I also have a number of hard pads (MM600, G440, Sphex, Perixx DX2100XL) which also work flawlessly, and haven't noticed any real difference in being able to do small circles in contrast to the cloth pads. For anyone after a hard pad to try without breaking the bank, the Perixx, which is a Sphex like stick on pad can be had from Amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N6C8LJX/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=  or https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6C8LJX/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

I also created a table for myself relating to sens settings at different DPI settings (12k, 4k, 38.k and 3.2k) and different sync types, so can swap freely from one to another with no noticeable change in my aiming as the distance to achieve 360 at both hip and ads remain the same.  I disagree with the above comment that by switching from 3.2k to 4k you won't need to adjust your sensitivity, you will, unless you want different turn speeds.

I mean it wonít be an extreme change, I can accidentally go from my 12k dpi preset to 10k and not notice a change, maybe because I play such a high sensitivity but in my opinion you PROBABLYĒ  wonít even ď have to change sensitivity.

Is different for everyone and experimenting wonít hurt
| Xim Apex ~ Logitech G502 ~ Corsair K70 Lux RGB Cherry MX Brown ~ Sony Nav ~ SteelSeries Dex ~ Astro A40 TR + TR MixAmp ~ PlayStation 4 |

Offline PcSkeng

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10:16 AM - 06/07/18 »

4000dpi with Xim isnít considered anyway near high, so a cloth pad would probably be better.

Offline Phil Ashio

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02:11 PM - 06/09/18 »
Playing at 12k on a g502 I don't notice the difference in micro movement with Puretrak Talent (cloth) and Steelseries 4HD (plastic).

The big difference is the feel of how the mouse glides. I would say cloth is better if you want a little bit of resistance and plastic is better if you want as pure and unrestricted movement as possible. Cloth is better if you have a jittery hand and aren't great with control over fine movement and plastic is better if you have a steady hand and want to go fast at all times.

As far as Xim and the console experience is concerned this is how the difference manifests. With cloth you will feel the aim assist much more strongly, so if that's what you want then go for cloth. With plastic you will fight through aim assist much easier so if you have a lot of issues with aim assist go for plastic. For me, through general gameplay I prefer plastic but when sniping I do a bit better with cloth.

Online alanmcgregor

• MVP
  • Bad hombre.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06:03 PM - 06/09/18 »
4000 dpi is the border you want to go with cloth mousepads, if you eg go 12000 dpi and move your mouse very slowly in circles or squares you will notice a medium to strong micro stutter depending on how thin/thick the cloth-fibres are and how the density of those is

overall theres hardly any gain in terms of mouse movements
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBgtGPBMQiQ

Recently I tried 12K for to combat strong AA in a game... got micro stutter on small movements. Back to 3800 nothing, I know the sensor can manage it, XIMs end.
XIM APEX + Titan Two
PS4 Pro - ASUS VG245H 24" - Astro A40 TR MixAmp - Razer Orbweaver - Tt Esports Ventus R Modded - Hyper XL

Offline MouseAndKeyboarder

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Names Blaine
« Reply #8 on: 12:12 AM - 06/13/18 »
i run the overwatch extended mousepad from amazon, i think its cloth material idk lol but i run 12k dpi at high sens and its real smooth

Offline ƑȒƐƐĿǾ

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03:08 PM - 06/14/18 »
3200 to 4000 DPI should be fine on cloth, once you get to extremely high DPI levels like 12,000 16,000 thatís when you might need a hard mouse pad. In the past I tried using cloth pads (goliathus speed, roccat taito, zowie gtfx) at 12k/16k and I didnít like how it felt like I was dragging my mouse through quick sand. Now I use the mm600/ Roccat alumic at 12k and itís better imo