XIM Community

Generic controller for xim 2 ?  (Read 1783 times)

Offline Petricore

• View Profile
Generic controller for xim 2 ?
« on: 09:05 AM - 07/07/08 »
For Xim I bought a JoyTech from walmart and its worked flawlessly. I assume I can use this board the same as an 005 if I can find all of the correct solder points ? I'm happy to take some pics of if it I need :)

Offline OMGsus

• Administrator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: OMGsus
  • PSN ID: OMGsus
Re: Generic controller for xim 2 ?
« Reply #1 on: 09:18 AM - 07/07/08 »
For Xim I bought a JoyTech from walmart and its worked flawlessly. I assume I can use this board the same as an 005 if I can find all of the correct solder points ? I'm happy to take some pics of if it I need :)
We cannot guarantee it will work properly since we do not have to time to evaluate all of the 3rd party controllers and what revision they work like. Also, like you said you would have to find all the points yourself for the time being. So I can't tell you whether it will work or not definitively but if you DO get it to work, please share the info here of course  ;D

Offline Petricore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10:35 AM - 07/07/08 »
if you sent me one pre-release I'd be happy to test it and post a guide if it works :D:D:D

Seriously tho I have nothing to lose trying it so whenever I get the xim 2 I'll try on this board before I buy another, and if it works I'll definitely post with pics.

Offline derektm

• View Profile
    • Derektm.com
« Reply #3 on: 05:33 PM - 07/07/08 »
The XIM 2 PCB was designed to be placed inside of the official Microsoft wired controller. It was not designed to fit in any other controller. Most likely, it wont fit inside. Also, we really have no idea how our DACs would work with their POTs/ADCs and a whole bunch of other technical stuff.

Why don't you just buy a official controller? They are only $30...

Offline Petricore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11:55 AM - 07/08/08 »
because I already have a generic one I use only for XIM
"they are only $30" makes the assumption that you value 30 dollars the same as I do. I'll spend it if I have to, but with gas at almost 5 a gallon I'll save it if I can.

I wasn't aware that it was designed to fit inside of the controller itself, but I'll take my chances, again if I ruin the generic I'm not out anything and would have to spend the 30 bucks anyhow :P
Plus there is the problem of having to find a revision that will work as well.

Offline Petricore

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12:11 PM - 07/08/08 »
BTW, the last reply was not meant to sound rude, mearly my reasonings for trying what I have first.
I don't know as much about the technical aspects as you guys. If I Get this in and it works, is it possible it wont work as well as it should, or is it either going to work or not work ?
If I can figure out how to make it work I'm more than happy to spend the time doing it, as well as sharing with others when it done. I mean it seems like this would only be good news for your product if people could make it even cheaper ?

Offline derektm

• View Profile
    • Derektm.com
« Reply #6 on: 12:55 PM - 07/08/08 »
There are a whole lot of other things you have no idea about. Say for instance, how do you know how the generic handles button presses? How do you know that our 15 32.4K button resistors are the right value for that controller? Most likely its not. This board was only designed to work with the 005. You may need those resistors to be 0 ohm for it to work with that controller (which would give you standard i/o voltage).

If you want to find all 24 solder points yourself to save $30, have fun. You also risk frying a $60-70 XIM 2 kit, and we'll offer no support for that controller.

Offline OMGsus

• Administrator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: OMGsus
  • PSN ID: OMGsus
« Reply #7 on: 01:42 PM - 07/08/08 »
Also, Derek sent me some high res shots from the inside of a third party unit and it was garbage. It looks like they had a 4 year old place and solder the components or they had the machine running at 400%. Imagine swallowing all the chips and capacitors and puking on a pcb then just slapping solder on them in place. That's the inside of a third part controller. They are not worth the 10 bucks you save.

Personally, I wouldn't try figuring one out but no one is stopping you. If you really want to by all means but again, these things have such a high fail rate and are horribly constructed. Product revision stability is also extremely unreliable. Sorry if I got you hopes up with my first response but the request still remains; If you do by some miracle get something to work, go ahead and post your results.  ;D

Offline Petricore

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09:53 AM - 07/09/08 »
Thanks for the followups, sure sounds grim :P
Did the price of the Xim 2 go up ? In the pre-order post they say 50-55, and you are saying 60-70 ?

-Linc

Offline derektm

• View Profile
    • Derektm.com
« Reply #9 on: 09:57 AM - 07/09/08 »
Thanks for the followups, sure sounds grim :P
Did the price of the Xim 2 go up ? In the pre-order post they say 50-55, and you are saying 60-70 ?

-Linc

The $50-55 is without shipping.

Offline Petricore

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10:58 AM - 07/09/08 »
Cool thanks, guess I'll post my stuff for sale with the generic controller and start the search for an 005.
I appreciate all the info :)

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
  • Xim360 Tester. All Hail Xim360!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11:50 AM - 07/09/08 »
I would not recommend trying a generic controller. Once you realize how long the mod takes, you will not want to waste time. I would buy a 40 ms 005 controller and be done with it. Trust me, that's a lot of risk for something where the odds are severely against you. Voltages pin outs and all that - are unknown on a generic.
Happy Xim360 tester (former)

Gamertag ii TR00F ii
That's 2 i's a space a TR then 2 zero's an F then a space then 2 more i's.