XIM Community

Xim Link connection query...  (Read 1142 times)

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Xim Link connection query...
« on: 06:32 PM - 05/17/18 »
Is it possible to have Xim Link connected to PC to access AHK, but leave the m/kb attached to Apex?

No particular reason for asking, I'm just curious.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline G502Killer

• MVP
  • Please Delete My Account
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Delete
Re: Xim Link connection query...
« Reply #1 on: 01:34 PM - 05/19/18 »
For this to work it would require the Apex and the PC to treat the transfer cable as both an input and an output. It would increase the complexity of the system by a lot, if it is even possible.

Also, you then lose out on some of the advantages of having M/KB hooked up to PC to access drivers/lighting software/etc
Please Delete My Account

Offline W11cE

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03:03 PM - 05/19/18 »
You can use both at the same time. For apex, link is just another hid device.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #3 on: 05:39 PM - 05/19/18 »
You can use both at the same time. For apex, link is just another hid device.
Ok. So m/kb on Apex when using Xim Link works?

I can't test it as my PC rig shat the nest and I can't see the screen (Nvidia cards in SLI play up every now and then). I have no other reason to get it working other than to play around with Xim Link and AHK, so I'd appreciate the confirmation :)
« Last Edit: 05:43 PM - 05/19/18 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad

Offline G502Killer

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11:50 PM - 05/19/18 »
SLI PC and no reason to get it working  :o :o :o
Please Delete My Account

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #5 on: 03:09 PM - 05/21/18 »
So it turns out my 2009 rig is still pretty decent. It has an X58 mobo and shouldn't take much to upgrade to a Xeon 6-core CPU capable of 4.5Ghz air OC, 24GB of DDR3, a USB3.0 PCI-E card and a modern GPU.

I only want it as a streaming rig to take the load off my iMac and I honestly didn't have high hopes, but it should be up to the job with a Xeon under the hood. I already have a 500GB SSD lying around doing nothing. Total upgrade cost (I don't need the GPU to do what I want) should be a couple of hundred bucks...noice!

I replaced the lithium battery on the mb and reseated one of the RAM sticks and boom...it's back in business! I stopped using it because it sounded like a jet engine, which turned out to be one of the GTX295's struggling to breathe. I was going to replace it with an Elgato HD60 Pro (Cam Link will do the job instead with a USB3 card), so problem solved.

Honestly, I'm shocked that almost decade-old tech can still be relevant. Not 4K multi-screen relevant, but max 1080p gaming, 1080p @ 60FPS streaming and Xim Link good enough.

Any suggestions for an appropriate GPU for 1080p @ 60FPS if I do want to game on this rig? We're talking CS:GO level graphics, just enough to play around with my neglected Steam library, Maybe Destiny 2 on PC. I was thinking a 1050 Ti might do a decent job, prices climb steeply after that (curse you cryptocurrencies!). At best I'd be looking at a bargain bin 1060 for bang for buck, but the GPU is still more expensive than a console, which is partly why I stopped doing this in the first place...
« Last Edit: 06:11 PM - 05/21/18 by antithesis »

Offline W11cE

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05:42 PM - 05/21/18 »
Perfect! Then you have W11cE-approved Xim Link rig. My workstation/gaming PC is also X58. I have X5650 on it. For now it is not overclocked, but when I rebuild my water cooling I will test how much I can get out of that.

For GPU I have GTX 1060, and it feels like it is pointless to go with more powerfull one. At least with the default CPU speeds it feels like it is the bottleneck currently.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #7 on: 09:17 AM - 05/22/18 »
Snagged some great component deals -

Xeon X5670 6-core CPU - $72 AUD
PCI-E USB3.0 card - $13 AUD
Elgato HD60 PRO PCI-E - $210 AUD
GTX 1070 8GB GPU - $250 AUD
16GB DDR3 1600 - $0

Total - $545 AUD ($413 USD).

That should cover the streaming rig...and then some. The basic CPU, RAM and USB3.0 upgrade I wanted cost about $63 USD. The Elgato card and GPU weren't needed, but too good to pass up at those prices.

I also have the option for 32GB of Kingston KHX1866C10D3 1333 RAM for $190 AUD ($142 USD). Any thoughts on that RAM W11cE?
« Last Edit: 03:13 PM - 05/22/18 by antithesis »

Offline W11cE

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01:49 PM - 05/22/18 »
That is a nice setup. You forgot M.2 SSD :P. I had to install customized version of the last alpha bios to get that working with PCI-e adapter on my MB.

Unless you need more than that 16GB of RAM, I don't see a reason to get new RAM. 1600 vs 1866 MHz performance difference is close to nothing, so you probably don't benefit from that at all.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #9 on: 06:01 PM - 05/22/18 »
The SSD is a Samsung EVO 840, connecting via SATA. Should be no problems there as it's detected fine in the BIOS.

If someone told me I could upgrade a 9 year old PC that was barely capable of 1080p gaming in SLI (Oblivion chugged along...bleh!) to an ultra settings 1080p @ 60FPS gaming & streaming rig, complete with GTX 1070 and HD60 Pro capture card for around $400 US, I'd have called BS. I was getting ready to throw it out if I couldn't get it to boot  :o

I think i'll stick to 16GB of RAM. I know the mobo is capable of 24GB, but that's 6 x 4GB sticks. I don't know if it can handle 8GB sticks, or if it simply predates 8GB. I've seen reports that it does work, but there's no real need to spend money to find out. I do like 32GB in my iMac, though it does much heavier lifting than this PC.

Thanks for your help!
« Last Edit: 06:05 PM - 05/22/18 by antithesis »

Offline W11cE

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06:34 PM - 05/22/18 »
Np, I was also going to throw out the MB at one point when I had really bad microstutter. But it was actually both GTX470 on SLI that were the problem.

Offline G502Killer

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07:15 PM - 05/22/18 »
Ram is ridiculously expensive atm, as are GPUs. If you caught me like 2 months ago I was selling 3 1060 6GBs and 3 RX480s.

I use a 1060 6GB and play PUBG, CSGO, H1, and almost any other game at 100fps on 1080p
Please Delete My Account

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #12 on: 10:39 PM - 05/22/18 »
Canít beat free RAM and less than 1/3rd retail here for the 1070  :) 
Donít start talking up 100fps or Iíll be up for a new screen! 60ís fine for now.

I thought Iíd be in for a few grand (historically, thatís been the spend) for a completely new rig by now. So Iíll be a pig in poo if this upgrade works.

Offline ceebs

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Captain_Minxley
« Reply #13 on: 01:12 AM - 05/23/18 »
GTX 1070 8GB GPU - $250 AUD
How on earth did you get one for that price? Can't find one for less than £440 (780 AUD) in the UK!

Where's HL3?

XIM Apex, PS4 Pro with 1TB Crucial MX500, Allreli T9+, Swiftpoint Z, Aorus AMP500, Audio Technica ADG1X, SB X7, LG 27UD58.

MSI Z97i Gaming AC, Core i5 4690k, Corsair H100i, GTX 2070, 16GB Corsair Vengence DDR3, XFX ProSeries 750w, 3xAerocool Dead Silence, Cooltek W1, 2x .5 TB Samsung Evo SSD, 1TB Crucial MX 500, 1TB WD HDD, Silverstone SST slot-load DVD, KustomPC braided cables. And if you've read this far, you too are a genuine geek, my friend!

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #14 on: 05:41 AM - 05/23/18 »
I put in an offer for $550 on a second-hand one on Gumtree when I thought to contact a mate who might have a 1060 lying around. Turns out he had a 1070 instead, so I got a bargain :)
« Last Edit: 05:46 AM - 05/23/18 by antithesis »

Admin