XIM Community

Monitor vs TV  (Read 333 times)

Offline AKs0n-

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: AKs0n-
Monitor vs TV
« on: 08:57 AM - 05/16/18 »
After trying to test gameplay on my 4K TV by turning off Game Mode finding the game literally unplayable. Im now considering buying a Gaming Monitor. Im expecting a drastic difference in responsiveness in controls as being as great as tested vs playing w/o Game Mode:ON

Am I expecting too much or am being realistic? I'll be going from a 20~25ms display lag to 1~5ms if I buy an actual Monitor.

Online Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Re: Monitor vs TV
« Reply #1 on: 09:02 AM - 05/16/18 »
look up your TVs input lag, thats the best way to see if you will notice a difference
going from 25 to 10 milliseconds isnt that much of a difference, but i guess your TV has a lot more than that when all its picture enhancement options are active
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay
Du sprichst Deutsch? Hier gehts zum deutschen Forum

Offline AKs0n-

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09:19 AM - 05/16/18 »
look up your TVs input lag, thats the best way to see if you will notice a difference
going from 25 to 10 milliseconds isnt that much of a difference, but i guess your TV has a lot more than that when all its picture enhancement options are active
I actually went and looked up my TV on Rtings.
Input Lag - 37ms

Im thinking a Monitor would make a drastic difference since it's even higher than I originally thought. That Input Lag is w/ Game Mode:ON too.

Im seeing Monitor Input Lag of 1~5ms plus 144hz I imagine would not hurt any neither.

Offline Duke3d

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09:38 AM - 05/16/18 »

Im seeing Monitor Input Lag of 1~5ms plus 144hz I imagine would not hurt any neither.

If you're only going to play on console, you can save a few bucks and not worry about 144hz. Consoles can't get their frame rate that high.

If you're thinking of using it for pc gaming as well, 144hz will make you feel like you've been stuck in the mud all your life and have just escaped.
sudo apt-get install GoldenPistol

Online Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10:16 AM - 05/16/18 »
Input Lag - 37ms

Im thinking a Monitor would make a drastic difference since it's even higher than I originally thought. That Input Lag is w/ Game Mode:ON too.

that should be quite some change then coming from 37 milliseconds
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay
Du sprichst Deutsch? Hier gehts zum deutschen Forum

Offline AKs0n-

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05:29 PM - 05/16/18 »
Input Lag - 37ms

that should be quite some change then coming from 37 milliseconds
Yeah. . . and I never realised just how bad Display Lag was until I turned off Game Mode. The XIM4 controls were unresponsive & aim floated around all over the place. I was only assuming going from TV to Monitor would be a just as noticeable difference. Thanks for the input.

Offline AKs0n-

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05:31 PM - 05/16/18 »

If you're only going to play on console, you can save a few bucks and not worry about 144hz. Consoles can't get their frame rate that high.

If you're thinking of using it for pc gaming as well, 144hz will make you feel like you've been stuck in the mud all your life and have just escaped.
I would want 144hz just in case I do go to PC eventually.
« Last Edit: 05:56 PM - 05/16/18 by AKs0n- »

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05:40 PM - 05/16/18 »
Gaming monitors do not have 1-5ms of display lag, that's the grey-to-grey response time. The true display lag is typically around 10-16ms.

The fastest gaming monitor has been clocked at 8ms of display lag. The fastest 4K HDTV has been clocked at 12ms. That's only 4ms of difference, so the gap has closed significantly.

On average, you're going to get better mileage out of a gaming monitor, but not for console gaming. 60FPS is 16.66ms per frame, so as long as the TV can go under 16ms, you won't get any better out of a monitor.

If you're PC gaming, then 144Hz is obviously beneficial and will slay a TV.

Offline AKs0n-

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05:58 PM - 05/16/18 »
Gaming monitors do not have 1-5ms of display lag, that's the grey-to-grey response time. The true display lag is typically around 10-16ms.

The fastest gaming monitor has been clocked at 8ms of display lag. The fastest 4K HDTV has been clocked at 12ms. That's only 4ms of difference, so the gap has closed significantly.

On average, you're going to get better mileage out of a gaming monitor, but not for console gaming. 60FPS is 16.66ms per frame, so as long as the TV can go under 16ms, you won't get any better out of a monitor.

If you're PC gaming, then 144Hz is obviously beneficial and will slay a TV.
Input Lag. Display Lag. Im sure I mixed them up in this conversation.

Rting showed my 4K at 37ms vs 1~5ms Monitor INPUT lag.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06:08 PM - 05/16/18 »
Same thing. You won't find a monitor with less than 8ms of true input / display lag.

1 to 5ms is G-to-G, which is not the same thing.

In short, don't believe the hype when in comes to gaming monitor "ms" numbers, it's little short of false advertising. The real numbers are closer to 8-12ms at best.

Regardless, you're going to notice a big difference from your TV to any gaming monitor and if you do plan to game on PC, definitely go for 144Hz.
« Last Edit: 06:13 PM - 05/16/18 by antithesis »

Offline AKs0n-

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06:22 PM - 05/16/18 »
Same thing. You won't find a monitor with less than 8ms of true input / display lag.

1 to 5ms is G-to-G, which is not the same thing.

In short, don't believe the hype when in comes to gaming monitor "ms" numbers, it's little short of false advertising. The real numbers are closer to 8-12ms at best.

Regardless, you're going to notice a big difference from your TV to any gaming monitor and if you do plan to game on PC, definitely go for 144Hz.
Understood. Thanks for the clarification. Now to find the right Monitor.

Offline synflood

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12:53 AM - 05/20/18 »
TCL 6 Series has 12-14 ms lag on their 4k 55"/65" TV both of which are under $1k and offer 60Hz native panel game mode. There is no better bang for your buck with a 4k display if you're going that route. Personally I find monitor displays too small to pick up on small details without basically having the screen a few inches from your face which is terrible for your long-term health. I have a C5/C6 spine issue along with ulnar nerve damage at the age of 34 due to the fact that I have been using computer since I was 10. I've gamed for countless hours day in and day out in my life and it will catch up to you. The 4k TCL 6 series in 55" has been my gaming TV and it's specatular. You get the same input lag you get from "high end gaming monitors" but with 4K and its great for watching 4K items on Kodi/Netflix from xbox.

Rtings did a review on it this week as it's the most highly anticipated TV of 2017/2018.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03:35 AM - 05/20/18 »
Yeah, TVs are closing the performance gap with gaming monitors and do offer better bang for buck. I've been waiting for a 4K 32" TV for awhile now, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen.

When the next generation of consoles land, I'll likely go with a 4K monitor due to the lack of alternatives, but my last few years with a 1080p 32" Bravia with 14ms of display lag has been fantastic.

Offline synflood

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11:08 PM - 05/20/18 »
When 1080p TVs first came out, the rule of thumb was basically there was no point in getting a 1080p at 32" or below. You really don't get to appreciate a 1080p until you're above 32" and when it comes to 4K I feel you need even more to appreciate it. I personally play on a 55" TCL 6 series and I am sitting at a computer desk with the TV a few feet from my face. I have about a 25% win rate in solo matches in fortnite and see things I would normally have missed on a monitor at maximum render distance. Precision aiming for me is a lot easier on a larger display. To each their own but it's mainly preference.

The TCL 6 Series came out 20 days ago and I picked it up for $400 brand new in 55" because Amazon screwed my order up so badly they gave me $200 back on my order. I love the TV so much I bought a second one. The sub 15ms input delay is simply amazing on the xim in comparison to the competition. Since switching from a 42" Sony, I've probably doubled to tripled the number of shotgun battles I've won by being able to really get that dot on their necks to ensure the blooming takes full affect into the hitboxes.