XIM Community

Full size keyboard vs MMO Keypads  (Read 758 times)

Offline Helloeveryone

• View Profile
Full size keyboard vs MMO Keypads
« on: 04:12 AM - 05/12/18 »
I think theyíre called keypads someone called it that but if you donít know what Iím talking about a example is razer orbweaver.

Basically what I want to discuss here is if a full size keyboard or a keyboard in general is better for xim? In my opinion I donít think so because xim is limited to certain buttons on controller and on pc it makes sense to use a keyboard since you need more buttons.
Would it make sense just to get one of these smaller keyboards since u can access keys quicker,smaller and also it has a dpad and I canít think of 1 game that uses more than 30 buttons on console so I think these smaller keyboards are better for xim than a full size.

Let me know your opinion Iím actually curious.

Offline Helloeveryone

• View Profile
Re: Full size keyboard vs MMO Keypads
« Reply #1 on: 04:14 AM - 05/12/18 »
Sorry if I worded it wrong lol Iím kinda tired and didnít feel like reading it.. itís 6:13 am

Offline Beaker1991

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08:34 PM - 05/12/18 »
I am currently using a Razer Orb Weaver, but I have used the Logitech G13. I prefer the G13 because of the analog movement in the thumb stick, but can not stand the design of the thumb stick. If Logitech would release a redesigned version I would switch back. The reason I use these is that I put the movement back under the thumb stick or pad. This frees up my other fingers for things like jumping, reloading, and weapon switching. This was handy back in the old Halo days because I could jump and move at the same time. In other words I did not have to take my thumb of the look stick to hit the jump button.

Offline spawnpeekingyager

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08:35 PM - 05/12/18 »
I still think keyboards are superior, but that's just me

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #4 on: 08:47 PM - 05/12/18 »
I don't like offset keyboard rows. Keypads are ortholinear (straight columns) and for gaming, I feel they're easier to navigate. Both the Orbweaver and G13 are ortholinear.

If I was right-handed I'd buy an Orbweaver without hesitation. It has enough keys for in-game bindings, with enough left over for a dozen or so other macro bindings.

I'd far prefer the digital d-pad on the Orbweaver than the analog stick on the G13. I WASD for movement and the only time I need to lift my fingers away from the home row is to hit the d-pad. The Orbweaver solves that problem.

Alas, neither the G13 nor the Orbweaver are viable for lefties, so I make do with a split Ergodox Ez keyboard and use the right-half while gaming.

Official Australian distributor for
XIM NEXUS, XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline wicked96ta

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10:27 PM - 05/13/18 »
I use a keypad after trying to use tenkeyless keyboards because I still felt that even a 60% keyboard was too big. I never used the right side of the keyboard. I tried using the left half only of a Let's Split keyboard but I could never get used to the ortholinear layout, and there weren't enough keys for my liking. The Koolertron works perfectly for me because it even has the F1-F7 keys which I use to load up preset configs. Plus it has onboard memory for macros. I think it mainly comes down to preference.
Xbox Series S
XIM 4
Logitech G Pro Wireless
Koolertron Gateron Black Switches
Zowie P-SR
ASUS VG27AQ
Astro Mixamp (first gen)
Sennheiser PC37X

Offline ceebs

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: ceebs_63
  • PSN ID: Captain_Minxley
« Reply #6 on: 02:29 AM - 05/14/18 »
Keyboards were designed for typing.
Gaming keypads were designed for gaming.
Gaming keyboards are a hybrid between the two, but take up far too much space when gaming.

Of course, many XIMmers game on PC as well as console. PC users need to type as well, so a gaming keyboard does the job. You don't need very many of the keys for gaming though, as one hand is on the mouse, so gaming keypads, being compact and having a small footprint, as well as usually including a more ergonomical design, are perfect for gaming. I use a keypad, with a KVM switch so that I can use it on my PS4 and my PC without having to replug it when I change from one to the other, but I have a full-sized keyboard plugged into my PC as well.

Where's HL3?

XIM Apex, PS4 Pro + Crucial MX500 1TB, Xbox Series X, Allreli T9+, Swiftpoint Z, Aorus AMP500, AKG K702, Creative Sound Blaster X7, iFi Zen DAC v2, iFi Zen CAN, Eve Spectrum 4K 144Hz.

LIAN LI A4 H2O, ASRock Z690M-ITX/ax, Intel Core i5 12400, EK-AIO Basic 240, Crucial 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 2TB, Crucial MX500 1TB, KFA2 RTX 3080 SG, Cooler Master V850 SFX Gold and if you've read this far, you too are a genuine geek, my friend!

Offline Zen

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03:27 AM - 05/14/18 »
60% is the sweet spot for me

Offline Fox McCloud

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Sir Fox McCloud
« Reply #8 on: 07:47 AM - 05/14/18 »
Admittedly, I have never gamed with keyboard, only a keypad, but the argument that there isn't enough buttons to push seems absurd. On Razer keypads there is a left thumb button that acts as a shift modifier. Ultimately that means you have 60 keys to press. I can't imagine using 60 keys.
XIM APEX | XIM LINK | XBOX One S | Razer OrbWeaver (Razer Orange/Cherry Brown equivalent) | Logitech G502 (3.5K DPI & 1K Hz) | Asus 24" (VG245H) | Destiny 2