XIM Community

xbox scene  (Read 2685 times)

Offline blash

• View Profile
Re: xbox scene
« Reply #15 on: 12:31 PM - 07/09/08 »
well that's part of the whole point, I mean I'm a teenager but my hands aren't THAT steady (and I try to do photography and I want to major in computer engineering), I don't have the proper solder tips and I like the look of a professionally done product - I saw the pictures of people who made XIM1 units who knew what they were doing, and the had a something attached to the USB cable in the box that was recommended by ObsIV so that you could tug a little on the cable and it wouldn't move anything inside and possibly damage the connectors. You see, I don't baby my stuff and I'm prone to throwing things around and dropping it on a table and especially since I'm going to college next year I don't want it to break on me, I'd rather pay someone and make sure that the delicate solder connections are well-protected, even if I were capable of doing the actual solder work myself.

360 Gamertag - WickedPheonix
Proud owner of the one and only glitter-glue XIM2

Offline 1nfinitum

• View Profile
Re: xbox scene
« Reply #16 on: 05:40 PM - 07/09/08 »
I've always been pretty bad at soldering with stranded wires, and my solder joints usually turn out pretty weak (or just funny looking) when I do stuff with them.  I just usually jam some hot glue in between each point (AFTER I've made sure everything's working) and then a bit over the wire to prevent shorts/damage.  And I think what you're talking about when you say they use something to make sure the internal circuitry doesn't get damaged when you tug on the cable on the outside of the controller, it's essentially a rubber stopper like you'll find on most any electronic with a wire sticking out of it, it just keeps the wire from moving back and forth through the hole in the outer casing.  I just use a bit of hot glue jammed on the inside of the case to fix it (if you don't plan on opening it again :P)  Just put a little on the wire and pull it through to get some between the casing and the wire and then finish by putting some more on the inside, usually does a good job.