XIM Community

"Onlive" free...no monthly subscription  (Read 1298 times)

Offline technogiant

• MVP
    • View Profile
"Onlive" free...no monthly subscription
« on: 07:00 AM - 10/06/10 »
Well the title pretty much said it all

http://blog.onlive.com/2010/10/04/onlive-just-play-for-free/

I guess it means that the "Onlive" model is taking off?
I will be joining this when it comes to the UK....I know it's running in the US at the moment and a large number here in the forum are from the US and was wondering if anyone has been using it.
Particularly interested in those that have good internet connections and what type of experience they have had. I've got a fibre optic service which is giving me 35mbs down and 1.6mbs up, and ping is low....18ms for servers about 100+ miles away so I'm anticipating that will give me a great quality of service with little noticeable lag....so has anyone been trying this?

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
Re: "Onlive" free...no monthly subscription
« Reply #1 on: 07:33 AM - 10/06/10 »
Whats this exactly?
RookCheck: Relax, no one is attacking you personally.

Offline Gabbagod

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07:41 AM - 10/06/10 »
Not coming to the UK till the end of 2011 (at least). It will also be BT exclusive so they will no doubt charge for it and most probably make a complete hash of it.

If I were in the US id have this by now, looks like one of those inventions which is too good to be true but the feedback so far seems to be looking promising.

Offline Lord Of The Sith

• MVP
  • Made up from mostly non toxic materials.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07:47 AM - 10/06/10 »
mist4fun OR Voli was on this stateside but i cant remember which one it was..

Apparently it wasn't that good.
Click > Here < for my COD4:RM / BOPs3 XIM4 Setup.

XIM4: FAQ - Downloads - Hardware Compatibility

Offline technogiant

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07:48 AM - 10/06/10 »
Whats this exactly?

Basically cloud computing, the game is run on the "onlive" server and you acces it over the internet. You can play it on low powered pc's and macs. Your in game mouse/keyboard movements are sent over the net to the server that is running the game and it sends the output back to you in the form of a video stream.

Offline technogiant

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07:49 AM - 10/06/10 »
mist4fun OR Voli was on this stateside but i cant remember which one it was..

Apparently it wasn't that good.

:'(

Offline technogiant

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07:56 AM - 10/06/10 »
Not coming to the UK till the end of 2011 (at least). It will also be BT exclusive so they will no doubt charge for it and most probably make a complete hash of it.

If I were in the US id have this by now, looks like one of those inventions which is too good to be true but the feedback so far seems to be looking promising.

I hope BT don't F this up, wouldn't join if there was a monthly subscription which is why I was quite excited about this news. It would be great to use their 3 and 5 day rental service to play those games you only want to play once.  I know you can use console game rental services but my experience of those are that you have to wait ages to get the game you want.

One problem with onlive is they have a very weak game catalogue.

Offline loudpanzer

• View Profile
    • skiesofblack forum
« Reply #7 on: 03:32 PM - 10/06/10 »
Wow with my 50mbit connection do you think Crysis would run great on a netbook? ahaha that would be something to see!

Offline stetab

• MVP
  • (✌゚∀゚)☞
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: BO4TZ
« Reply #8 on: 04:58 PM - 10/06/10 »
I have a decent connection (25/25) and for me theres a noticeable amount of time between actions you input and when they actually occur. I would use this for some games like World of Goo, but for most it would be frustrating. It might be better for other people though.

Offline loudpanzer

• View Profile
    • skiesofblack forum
« Reply #9 on: 07:50 PM - 10/06/10 »
do you think if they get more servers in more locations a server with around 50ms ping to you would be a much better experience? compared to like 200-100ms...

I imagine a server a few miles away would be like perfect for this sort of thing! 

Offline glenn37216

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09:56 PM - 10/06/10 »
 Good find  , I'm hoping for this tech to be successful. I've seen problems with lag on cloud computing in the past. But , with the right server hosts and internet connection speed , this could be a great investment for those wanting to play pc games but can't afford to buy the latest and greatest Pc hardware.

Offline glenn37216

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10:58 PM - 10/06/10 »
 Just got done testing some demos through Onlive.Technology is still utter crap. My upload and download speed more than meets the requirements and still there is constant video corruption and sound distortion.

Played Borderlands for about 5 minutes. Reminded me of the first time using Xfps pro on the 360 without my Xim1..!
  Too much input lag between the time you press a key and the command happening in game. Server load problems you think ? I dunno but I can tell you that if the entire service streams as bad as this, cloud gaming or atleast Onlive will soon be a thing of the past.

Offline technogiant

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12:51 AM - 10/07/10 »
Oh thats a shame, I was hoping this was going to work well, I don't think low ping levels like you have would be the problem? perhaps it is server load, in which case there is still hope as they expand their server base....unless Onlive becomes Ondead before that point..lol

Still the beauty of them dumping the monthly subscription is that at least people can try it without having to fork out.

Offline ABigDeal

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • ABigDeal Gaming
  • Gamertag: ABigDeal
« Reply #13 on: 01:58 AM - 10/07/10 »
Tbh, cloud computing will be good for office desktops but gamings gonna take awhile longer. The technology just isnt there yet.
« Last Edit: 02:28 AM - 10/07/10 by QnUP2C »
A.K.A QnUP2C
Twitch TV Abigdeal Gaming - LIVE STREAM
Abigdeal Gaming - Personal Youtube Channel
Origin: abigdeal

Offline loudpanzer

• View Profile
    • skiesofblack forum
« Reply #14 on: 02:12 PM - 10/07/10 »
I think the answer is fiber optic