XIM Community

To-buy list  (Read 4202 times)

Offline Jdawg

• MVP
    • View Profile
To-buy list
« on: 09:06 PM - 10/03/10 »
Hello Xim Community, this is my first thread on the XIM forums and hopefully a future XIM 3 user. Knowing that XIM 3 is almost right around the corner, I'm trying to think of a To-buy list for when I get it. From what I can I'll need a / Mouse / Keyboard / Wired Xbox Controller? I'm not sure if we'll have to get a wired controller of our own or if we will get one that will come with the XIM  :-\ . Anyways I was a PC gamer for quite a while but after experiencing the MW2 community on PC with all the hackers and what not I decided to switch to the Xbox community which deff has a ton less hackers but a ton more boosters lol. Anyways, I'm getting off topic. I used a Logitech G5 gaming Mouse for quite a while and I figured I'm not going to unplug my mouse out of my computer everytime just to plug it into the XIM 3, so I was thinking of buying a new mouse / keyboard etc.

I've been searching online for a good mouse and I came across this mouse

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Performance-Optical-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B0007Z1M50/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286160701&sr=8-1-fkmr0

I hope that will be compatible with the Xim 3. But now I need to find a good keyboard. I wanted to keep the price I spent for all this extra stuff hopefully below $60. Now I do have this pretty good Logitech PS/2 keyboard that I bought at Bestbuy for around $10 and I was thinking of buying another one of these, however I'm not sure if the keyboard has to be a USB keyboard or not.

If you guys have any good recommendations on some good, cheap, PC mouse and keyboards that would go great with the XIM 3 please tell me. Any answers will be much appreciated. Thanks.  ;D

P.S. - Sorry if you had trouble reading this post, English isn't my strong suit.

Offline slayersteve

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: x SLAYER Steve
Re: To-buy list
« Reply #1 on: 09:13 PM - 10/03/10 »
That Mouse is recommended actually.
Keep in mind you can't reassign the dpi buttons.
Consider the g500 or g700 if you want to do that.

And you speakie gooder English than most here. :)

Offline Don

• MVP
  • Northern California
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
  • Gamertag: Donskii HD
« Reply #2 on: 10:06 PM - 10/03/10 »
Remember that instead of buying a new mouse, you can just buy a USB 2x2 switch (which OBsIV said are supported). 
Proud owner of a XIM3

Youtube.com/d0nskiii     Xfire: Galvaniz3d     Xbox: Donskii HD, vIIv Don

My Setup:
Mionix Naos 5000     Razer Lycosa     24" ASUS 1080p 5ms     PureTrak Talent     Black Magic Intensity Shuttle     250GB Xbox 360 Slim

Intel i7 930     6GB 1600Mhz RAM     2x 2TB Seagate 7200 RPM HDDs in RAID0     128GB Crucial SATA III SD     2 ASUS EAH6850s (Crossfire)     EVGA x58 FTW3

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10:13 PM - 10/03/10 »
Yeah I was just about to post that. It looks like the newest beta video shows the tester using a usb 2x2 switch. Obsiv posted a picture, or confirmed a picture of the switch in a previous thread.. I don't remember the name. I'll have to find it and add it to the faq.
« Last Edit: 10:17 PM - 10/03/10 by mist4fun »
Have a problem with your XIM? Find a solution
NEXUS Support FAQ | APEX Support FAQ | XIM4 Support FAQ | Instructional Videos

Offline Raging Mage

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10:16 PM - 10/03/10 »
I'm not sure if we'll have to get a wired controller of our own or if we will get one that will come with the XIM  :-\ .

Jdawg, you should anticipate that you'll need to separately purchase a wired controller to use with XIM3. An official Xbox 360 wired controller from Microsoft would be ideal, but alternatives (such as Gamestop and MadCatz wired controllers) should also work.

Also, don't worry about your English. You did fine. =)
« Last Edit: 10:25 PM - 10/03/10 by Raging Mage »

Offline reqless

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10:27 PM - 10/03/10 »
mist, I remember that thread, do you still have that kensington 2x2 switch? If you do you should test it with the XIM3 when it comes out

Anyway back on topic:

Jdawg, if you do decide to buy a new mouse you probably want to look for one that has a high DPI and onboard memory, as they are recommended.
PC, PS4, & Switch | XIM Apex | M: ASUS VG248QE | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Corsair K95 | A: MMX300 + Mixamp | M: Zowie ZA12 | DPI: 3200

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10:48 PM - 10/03/10 »
I would just go with the confirmed switch that obsiv mentioned. The kensington switch didn't really perform as it should between two pc's without the included software.

OP, I found this link in a different thread. I believe this is the switch obsiv confirmed and the one seen in the beta video.
http://www.amazon.com/USB-2-0-Cross-Over-Sharing-Switch/dp/B000KZEBIM

Offline Jdawg

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11:07 PM - 10/03/10 »
Awesome, Thanks for the quick replies everyone  :).

Yeah, the USB 2x2 switch seems ideal for this type of situations however, I've always had this problem with my computer where it won't recognize or even read any USB device I plug into it after its been on for an extended period of time, by fixing this I have to restart my computer. Gah I love my gaming PC and its specs but the fact it's made by Gateway made it come with some type of problems lol. I'm just guessing if I make the switch go to the Xbox for a couple of hours then tried switching it back to my PC, my PC wouldn't let it recognize and turn back on. As for the keyboards I see in the Faq that there are 3 USB ports but no PS/2 port on the XIM 3 so I'm going to have to get a USB keyboard as well.

Honestly I think it might probably be best for me to buy a new Mouse and keyboard with it anyways because my G5 mouse has a ton of wear damage on the bottom of it (almost looks like burn marks on the grip). Now as for that MX518 Logitech mouse I was also thinking about getting this cheap USB keyboard to go with it

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-920-002478-Keyboard-K120/dp/B003ELVLKU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1286167266&sr=8-1

Honestly when it comes to gaming keyboards all I really want is a keyboard that feels comfortable. And to be honest you guys don't know how many times I've accidentally spilled drinks onto a keyboard.. man I was bummed out when I spilled coffee on my G15.....

And lastly I was just making sure that we could buy any wired Xbox controller to go along with it and it would be compatible, I was just making sure since the XIM 2 literally needed a mod in the controller.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Controller/dp/B000B6MLTQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1286168623&sr=1-1-spell

I'm looking at the Used controller for $21 right now :)

Oh, and thank you for telling me my English is fine everyone.. haha sometimes I feel that I have good ideas in my mind, however I don't think I'm articulate enough to get them out in words.

Offline mikey1804

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11:03 AM - 10/04/10 »
man I was bummed out when I spilled coffee on my G15
ive spilled drinks onto my g15 many times, it still works as good as new, it has drain holes in case you do spill.

i have a question for any of you guys as ive never seen or used a usb switch box, on this link
it has two usb connections for the mouse and keyboard and two out on the back, how does this work? in my head i pictured a switch box would have 2 usb in for the M&K and 4 usb out(2 for mouse, 2 for keyboard)?

Offline mjn39

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11:21 AM - 10/04/10 »
That Mouse is recommended actually.
Keep in mind you can't reassign the dpi buttons.
Consider the g500 or g700 if you want to do that.

And you speakie gooder English than most here. :)
Sure you can.  You can just re-assign the dpi buttons to keystrokes in setpoint, then use those keystrokes in xim config file accordingly.  It's what I do.

Jdaqg let us know if you find a good cheap keyboard.  I haven't owned anything but a laptop for several years and have been curious about cheap (and small) keyboards for xim use.

Also, open question.  Can we use an XIM2 as the XIM3 wired controller.  I don't have any wired controllers other than the XIM2 atm.

Offline stetab

• MVP
  • (✌゚∀゚)☞
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: BO4TZ
« Reply #10 on: 11:40 AM - 10/04/10 »
Use cowboom.com

I got an MX518 for 28 shipped and a G13 for 35ish

Offline reqless

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11:53 AM - 10/04/10 »
i have a question for any of you guys as ive never seen or used a usb switch box, on this link
it has two usb connections for the mouse and keyboard and two out on the back, how does this work? in my head i pictured a switch box would have 2 usb in for the M&K and 4 usb out(2 for mouse, 2 for keyboard)?

The mouse and keyboard signals are jumbled together and pass through a single usb cord, so you'd plug one cord into your PC and the other into your XIM3. The beta tester didn't seem to have any problems using the switch in the video, and it looked like it worked good.. but I remember in an old thread a user glenn did some tests using the same USB switch and he said that the switch added a lot of problems, like mouse skipping etc. So using a switch might not 100% work and be the best option, since your mouse and keyboard may not like each other.

Also, open question.  Can we use an XIM2 as the XIM3 wired controller.  I don't have any wired controllers other than the XIM2 atm.

I think it's been said a few times that you can, and I believe OBsIV even stated that some of the beta testers were using the XIM2 software/profiles on PC and then routing it through the XIM3 for the smart translators (but don't quote me on that)
PC, PS4, & Switch | XIM Apex | M: ASUS VG248QE | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Corsair K95 | A: MMX300 + Mixamp | M: Zowie ZA12 | DPI: 3200

Offline Ding Chavez

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: DcIhNaGv3z
« Reply #12 on: 04:02 PM - 10/04/10 »
On the keyboard front, a lot of people use the Logitech G13 or the Sitek Cyborg Command Unit because they have analogue sticks for movement.

Offline glenn37216

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04:25 PM - 10/04/10 »
 In order for the Xim3 to work on a 2x2 switch the hook up would have to look something like this. Will this have any affect the Xim3's overall life spand? Hope not. The only drawback is that the Xim3 will be running at all times while your using your computer. And...your keyboard and mouse will share the one usb cable "input" of the Xim3.
 I've found that many high end mice and keyboards have problems on the pc while running them through a hub/switch. Not all though. It's hit and miss with some mice's software, drivers and operating systems. It can be seen in the beta vids that the Xim3 still functions on the 360 on this model switch. But what cannot be confirmed is that the pc will recognize the many different mice and keyboards software/drivers while on a set-up such as this. In other words its a risk. Worth it though if you don't want your desk cluttered with 2 keyboards and mice.  :D

As far as eliminating the switch, no. You will want your mouse and keyboard/joystick to be attached directly to your XIM3.
« Last Edit: 07:47 PM - 10/06/10 by glenn37216 »

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04:54 PM - 10/04/10 »
Interesting diagram.. why do you have the m/kb on the xim and not the switch? In the beta video his mouse was on the switch.

Admin