XIM Community

Why consoles > pc  (Read 3064 times)

Offline bearsfan217

• View Profile
Re: Why consoles > pc
« Reply #15 on: 09:49 AM - 07/12/08 »
I hit a constant 45-60 fps on crysis maxed out 1920x1200 with my 9800gx2's. I hope to get a constant 60+ with my GTX280's.

umm, is this possible?  every PC mag ive read says otherwise :/  impressive though if true.  wish i got those framerates on my PC.

Offline Ub3rn00ber

• MVP
  • I will punish you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10:54 AM - 07/12/08 »
in xp yes..in vista, i would question it..but still I would believe it with 2 9800s

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
  • Xim360 Tester. All Hail Xim360!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11:46 AM - 07/12/08 »
I hit a constant 45-60 fps on crysis maxed out 1920x1200 with my 9800gx2's. I hope to get a constant 60+ with my GTX280's.

umm, is this possible?  every PC mag ive read says otherwise :/  impressive though if true.  wish i got those framerates on my PC.

I have 2 9800gtx's and on 1980x1200 it's around 40ish on high for me. But that's only in XP and they are overclocked to 803mhz on water, with a 2.66 quad OC'd to 3.7 with 4 gigs of ddr 1066 oc'd to 1191. If I went stock it goes down to the low-mid 30's.

I am still reading the 280's are better, but for the price you could get 2 9800gtx's and be just fine since they are cheap now.
Happy Xim360 tester (former)

Gamertag ii TR00F ii
That's 2 i's a space a TR then 2 zero's an F then a space then 2 more i's.

Offline hudson

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08:56 AM - 07/13/08 »
I'm just going to chip in my .2c on this, but i'm pretty hardcore on PC games. I used to play in the CPL back when it was only a quake-con thing. and I was making doom deathwatch maps of my school before things like that got you thrown in jail for being a trench coat wearing terrorist. :P

I get called a cheat /all the time/. I pull one sweet move, or have a hot streak, or the other person just plain sucks at games,automatically , I'm cheating. Must be hacks, nobody can be that good, turn off the aimbot, f-u lamer, etc etc. you name it, i've heard it. I helped start the punksbusted anti cheat website way back in the day with gumby and the iwarp clan guys, i've chatted on the phone with people at evenbalance - i'm about as far from a cheater as you can get.

I'm not saying consoles are better or PC's are better, thats an argument i have heard far too many times to really give a @#$% anymore what people think or quote.

My point: saying 'console is better because there are less hacks' is a little skewed. The xim, for all intents and purpose, is a 'hack'. a hardware hack, one of the most sophisticated kind of hacks when you think about it.

Hack, aka: cheat: an uneven or otherwise unprovided advantage to one or more players that not all players have.

Thats the xim1/2, the mouse and keyboard are better than joysticks, thats what thumbsticks really are, joysticks. Xim2 has even better scope because its got programmable features that let you tweak and adjust just about every means of your input. Unless every single xbox comes with a xim2, its an unfair advantage, even more so because you can't just walk down to walmart and buy one to even the odds.

so going off the handle saying 'i will never go back to PC because of all the hacks' while running off to use a xim2 on an xbox so you can own is a /little/ hypocritical.. perhaps i'm guiltty of that too, but if anybody comes up to me on x-live and screams at me for being too good, i'll be the first to admit that i'm using a mouse and keyboard, and if they don't like it, i'll leave.

Sportsmanship, thats the REAL problem. I have actually met cheaters who admit upfront 'hey im using an aimbot, should i leave? i suck pretty bad otherwise.' and believe it or not, they do when asked.

Yes yes cheating is evil, boo-hoo, lets all get butthurt about it. but hey, some people think cheating is FUN, and thats what games are all about. Fun.

Sad to say, most people who cheat are not of that just-for-kicks variety, they cheat to simply piss people the hell off. On consoles, you get the very same people being like that in every other way they can manage since its much harder to 'hack' like they would on PC games.

Sadly, the only real cure to any of these problems is to cure the human condition, which as far as i can tell, requires one hell of a beatdown and a couple dozen gamers screaming 'F-u cheating b--ch!'.

ahem. :)

oh,. on a side note, if the trusted computing platform ever manages to arise, and not be a complete cooperate whore tool to prevent you from doing basically anything at all, pc game cheating could very much become a part of the past. TC is a hardware layer that helps stop unwanted or unpermissed software from running (trojans, viruses, malware, etc), or tampering with other software (client hooks anyone? not anymore! rootkit hacks and exploits or overflows? nope, not happening.)

Imagine gaming on a pc, with all the 'no hacks' advantages of a console. It could happen, but i'm not holding my breath on that one.

Offline gastro54

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 09:35 AM - 07/13/08 »
Once consoles start adding native kb/m support like the PS3, they will be able to compete with the PC in terms of gaming.  Even though the XIM is a great tool, its not perfect and you wont get the same performance as using a mouse through a PC FPS.

Of course upgrading your PC will improve your performance in areas other than games.  A $700 PC will give you much better graphical performance over the PS3 and 360 which use GPUs a few years old.

The argument some have made about your PC getting outdated quickly is dumb.  Your PC - just like your console will be capable of a certain level of performance for as long as you use it - the only difference is that consoles force everyone to use the same old hardware.

Offline xSir Nubx

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03:09 PM - 07/13/08 »

I have 2 9800gtx's and on 1980x1200 it's around 40ish on high for me. But that's only in XP and they are overclocked to 803mhz on water, with a 2.66 quad OC'd to 3.7 with 4 gigs of ddr 1066 oc'd to 1191. If I went stock it goes down to the low-mid 30's.

I am still reading the 280's are better, but for the price you could get 2 9800gtx's and be just fine since they are cheap now.

Nice setup dude, Im going to water cool my GTX280's with a peliter bay drive one.