XIM Community

401 Error  (Read 1648 times)

Offline dirtyfrenchman

• View Profile
401 Error
« on: 10:26 PM - 10/01/10 »
Well first off I installed everything correctly via the instructions at http://xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=3195.0 and everything worked great. Then at one point everything locked up and no longer worked even after a reboot.

I uninstalled everything (xim360 drivers + USBXpress drivers mentioned in the tutorial). When I reboot (after disabling driver sig enforcement) and run the xim360 installer, nothing happens while when i plug the white cable in during the calibration step. I do however get a windows popup from the task manager saying a device could not be installed. The installer hangs right there (never makes it past calibration step).

If I try and run XIM after that it sees the input from my keyboard fine, but I get the 401 error saying the xim hardware could not be found.

I'm going nuts here, is there anything I'm missing?
« Last Edit: 10:44 PM - 10/01/10 by dirtyfrenchman »

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Re: 401 Error
« Reply #1 on: 11:06 PM - 10/01/10 »
I've seen this before. Try a different usb port for your xim usb cable (white), it should pick it up right away.
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11:11 PM - 10/01/10 »
is the device manager popping up in the taskbar every other setting as if it tries to find a new device? In the XIM software the button presses are seen and the mouse movement also but the commands do not reach the Xbox?
Crusade atm: none

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11:24 PM - 10/01/10 »
It's the usb port. I just had this happen to me this week when I did a new install of windows 7. It shows up in the device manager with an error and will not let you update the drivers. Switching the usb cable to a different usb row fixes it.

Offline dirtyfrenchman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11:34 PM - 10/01/10 »
It's the usb port. I just had this happen to me this week when I did a new install of windows 7. It shows up in the device manager with an error and will not let you update the drivers. Switching the usb cable to a different usb row fixes it.

When I plug it into any USB port it says that the "USB device was not recognized" on the task bar. I've tried it in 3 seperate USB ports with the same result. The installer never gets past the calibration step. If I exit out of that after waiting around for a while, and start XIM, I get the 401 error. I've even tried right clicking the device in the device manager, as it is marked as having errors.

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11:38 PM - 10/01/10 »
Install the program via the usb express method again. Skip calibration, restart your computer into safe mode. Try to install the drivers manually through the device manager in safe mode. They should be located in .. C:\Program Files (x86)\XIM 360\Drivers

You do have a 64bit os right, win 7 / vista ? And your plugging your xim cable directly into your motherboards usb ports right? ..not through a hub or the front of your computer?

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11:42 PM - 10/01/10 »
Just keep my GND on the USB cable in mind Mist if you cant resolve it. Looks very similar.

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12:04 AM - 10/02/10 »
Roads, that reminds me. Where was the broken ground connection? The front side of the controller or the back? I don't have an xflex, I have a rev B chip and mine is on the front inbetween the analog sticks if I remember right. Is the xflex on the back in the same area as voltage?

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12:13 AM - 10/02/10 »
Mine was on the back near the headphone plug did not check the revision of the board. The USB cable twists through A X Y and then comes down near the headphone plug. Thatís why I took a thicker USB cable so you cant tear off the contacts, the cable now firmly rests between the cups for the buttons. If its thin and you pull the cable its direct stress on the solderings. Without ground, calibration works fine, XIM software is happy and only displaying 401 but the controller will not do anything to the xbox.

Offline dirtyfrenchman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04:22 PM - 10/02/10 »
Install the program via the usb express method again. Skip calibration, restart your computer into safe mode. Try to install the drivers manually through the device manager in safe mode. They should be located in .. C:\Program Files (x86)\XIM 360\Drivers

You do have a 64bit os right, win 7 / vista ? And your plugging your xim cable directly into your motherboards usb ports right? ..not through a hub or the front of your computer?

Tried this 3 times. Whenever I try to install the driver, I get an error that "this device cannot start (10)". I'm thinking the unit itself is just fubar'd. Time to return it... and wait for xim3?
« Last Edit: 04:36 PM - 10/02/10 by dirtyfrenchman »

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04:39 PM - 10/02/10 »
If it worked once and then stopped working it is very unlikely that the unit "fubared". Especially since you're running windows 7. Do you have another 32bit xp machine to test this on? You could do as roads suggested and take a peak inside the controller, you'd be looking for broken solder joints.

Offline dirtyfrenchman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04:47 PM - 10/02/10 »
If it worked once and then stopped working it is very unlikely that the unit "fubared". Especially since you're running windows 7. Do you have another 32bit xp machine to test this on? You could do as roads suggested and take a peak inside the controller, you'd be looking for broken solder joints.

I tried it on another windows 7 system (a 32-bit one this time) and run into the same problems. I have no xp systems to test it against.

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04:53 PM - 10/02/10 »
Do you feel comfortable opening it up and checking for broken solder joints? You pretty much have to look in just one area, be sure the red, white, green, and black are connected. The other points are just for buttons, sticks, and triggers.

« Last Edit: 03:29 AM - 10/03/10 by mist4fun »