XIM Community

Is high dpi REALLY better ? I dont think so  (Read 2804 times)

Offline Mazen al shami

• View Profile
Is high dpi REALLY better ? I dont think so
« on: 10:02 PM - 04/07/18 »
So when i got my apex my mouse highest dpi back then was 3200 and my xim sens was bettwen 30 40 but i saw people talk in this community about if you have higher dpi and i lower xim sens it will be better ... so i got razer naga and it was Not cheap so i put it to16k dpi and 1000 hz.... and i lowerd my xim sens as many people told me hereto like 10  .... and it was nice moving on hip ... but when i ads on bf1 i cant make tiny movment ..... my friend told me that its beacuse of the 16k dpi ..... is that right ?? Plz answer me cuz i  bought this mouse just for xim

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
Re: Is high dpi REALLY better ? I dont think so
« Reply #1 on: 11:23 PM - 04/07/18 »
10 sens @ 12K = 20 sens @ 6K = 30 sens @ 4K = 40 sens @ 3K. They're all the same.

The reason high DPI mice are recommended is simply because they use more modern, better sensors than most mice. The reason max DPI is recommended is to pull people's mindsets away from really low DPI values like 400 and 800 typically seen on PC, because those DPI settings tend to cause interpolation and pixel-skipping on a Xim.

All you need for optimal performance on a Xim is a mouse capable of around 3000 DPI with a decent sensor under the hood. If you've got an older mouse with a 3310 Pixart optical sensor running at 3200 DPI (e.g most Zowie mice), there's no need to replace it with a 3360 Pixart sensor running at 12K (most Logitech mice), or a 3389 Pixart sensor running at 16K (new Razer mice).

The performance difference on Pixart sensors from 3200 to 16000 DPI is negligible and if anything, you're adding jitter into the mix by going with ultra-high DPI.

If you want to play it safe and go for a "one size fits all" mouse setting, I'd go with 3200 DPI and 500Hz polling, as long as you're using a mouse with a Pixart 3310, 3360, 3366 or 3389 sensor, which is most gaming mice from the last few years.

Steer clear of laser sensors whenever possible, especially Razer mice with "3G" or "4G" laser sensors. They are almost without fail complete crap on a Xim.
« Last Edit: 11:28 PM - 04/07/18 by antithesis »

Offline Domenic.HRO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04:09 AM - 04/08/18 »
10 sens @ 12K = 20 sens @ 6K = 30 sens @ 4K = 40 sens @ 3K. They're all the same.

The reason high DPI mice are recommended is simply because they use more modern, better sensors than most mice. The reason max DPI is recommended is to pull people's mindsets away from really low DPI values like 400 and 800 typically seen on PC, because those DPI settings tend to cause interpolation and pixel-skipping on a Xim.

All you need for optimal performance on a Xim is a mouse capable of around 3000 DPI with a decent sensor under the hood. If you've got an older mouse with a 3310 Pixart optical sensor running at 3200 DPI (e.g most Zowie mice), there's no need to replace it with a 3360 Pixart sensor running at 12K (most Logitech mice), or a 3389 Pixart sensor running at 16K (new Razer mice).

The performance difference on Pixart sensors from 3200 to 16000 DPI is negligible and if anything, you're adding jitter into the mix by going with ultra-high DPI.

If you want to play it safe and go for a "one size fits all" mouse setting, I'd go with 3200 DPI and 500Hz polling, as long as you're using a mouse with a Pixart 3310, 3360, 3366 or 3389 sensor, which is most gaming mice from the last few years.

Steer clear of laser sensors whenever possible, especially Razer mice with "3G" or "4G" laser sensors. They are almost without fail complete crap on a Xim.

Hello I have the Logitech G502. He has the sensor 3366 if I understood correctly. It does not keep the 1000 Hz pooling 100%. He runs at 900,950,980,1000 in the change. Should I set my apex pooling to 1000 Hz and set my mouse to 500 Hz?So he can keep the 500 Hz to 100%.I use playstation 4 pro. Is it better to set apex to 250 and mouse also to 250 Hz pooling? Thank you for help.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04:26 AM - 04/08/18 »
If you find your G502 is a little jittery or skips pixels every now and then due to not holding a steady 1000Hz polling, drop down to 500Hz on both the Apex and the mouse.

There's no need to go lower, your mouse should have no trouble holding 500Hz.

Offline Charles P

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09:48 AM - 04/08/18 »
Ya, I can understand your point. I play BF1 with Corsairís new Glaive mouse. Itís capable of 16,000 dpi, so I set it to that and it was absurdly jittery with precision ADS shots. Like you would move the mouse a centimeter and it would move too quick and too far. I set it down to 12,000 and I would say thatís still too much. Maybe 10,000 is good.

Offline slickrick

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11:31 AM - 04/08/18 »
I don't think all DPIs are the same. I'm left handed and only have 1 mouse that's left hand only, the death adder e. it fits my hand perfect with 4500 DPI. I have 2 mice that's left or right hand. g903 12000DPI and razer lance head tournament edition 12000DPI. the two that don't fit my hand as good, but seems to work better and are more responsive  .

Offline slickrick

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11:34 AM - 04/08/18 »
Ya, I can understand your point. I play BF1 with Corsairís new Glaive mouse. Itís capable of 16,000 dpi, so I set it to that and it was absurdly jittery with precision ADS shots. Like you would move the mouse a centimeter and it would move too quick and too far. I set it down to 12,000 and I would say thatís still too much. Maybe 10,000 is good.
it should be a 1 to 1 ratio, unless you have boost on. with the high DPI mice you don't need smoothing as well.

Offline Cyanic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12:13 PM - 04/08/18 »

Hello I have the Logitech G502. He has the sensor 3366 if I understood correctly. It does not keep the 1000 Hz pooling 100%. He runs at 900,950,980,1000 in the change. Should I set my apex pooling to 1000 Hz and set my mouse to 500 Hz?So he can keep the 500 Hz to 100%.I use playstation 4 pro. Is it better to set apex to 250 and mouse also to 250 Hz pooling? Thank you for help.

Keep it at 1000hz that's why apex is so good if you're not using it you're not using the device to its strengths
Start to feel jittery ? Up your smoothing that's what will reduce to jitters

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04:13 PM - 04/08/18 »
I don't think all DPIs are the same. I'm left handed and only have 1 mouse that's left hand only, the death adder e. it fits my hand perfect with 4500 DPI. I have 2 mice that's left or right hand. g903 12000DPI and razer lance head tournament edition 12000DPI. the two that don't fit my hand as good, but seems to work better and are more responsive  .
That's the sensor, not the DPI. The lefty DA is one of the crappier Razer 3G or 4G mice I mentioned perform poorly on a Xim.

Keep it at 1000hz that's why apex is so good if you're not using it you're not using the device to its strengths
Start to feel jittery ? Up your smoothing that's what will reduce to jitters
Smoothing can add floatiness and result in less responsive turning. You're better off adjusting Sync first.

As mentioned in other threads, how you want to handle AA also plays into the decision. High DPI tends to cut through into the hitbox better, but exhibits less AA. Low DPI tends to facilitate stickier AA, but can make it harder to enter the hitbox.
« Last Edit: 04:17 PM - 04/08/18 by antithesis »

Offline Mazen al shami

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04:34 AM - 04/09/18 »
Thx all for responds ...... i played yesterday at 16k with 20 hip sens and 6 ads  125 hz .... is that good ?

Offline Razortechrs

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: xW 4 R L 1 K 3
« Reply #10 on: 05:24 AM - 04/09/18 »
Itís funny because Iím seeing all this argument about buying a 16k or 12k mouse. I have several and it still feels like crap honestly. Jittery on pubg and bf1. Micro movements are impossible. Moves a pixel or more when trying to make very fine adjustments. Granted I didnít have this exact issue with my very very low (1600)dpi mouse but at least I could make small adjustments.

Offline Mazen al shami

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06:35 AM - 04/09/18 »
Now i understand mate ... i tested all .... and tried it all ..... trust me ...... play ut with 125hz believe me its tge best no jitter at all ... i play bf1 on 16k dpi with 20 hip sens and 7 ads and i found it fine ... 1000hz is crap

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06:38 AM - 04/09/18 »
Itís funny because Iím seeing all this argument about buying a 16k or 12k mouse. I have several and it still feels like crap honestly. Jittery on pubg and bf1. Micro movements are impossible. Moves a pixel or more when trying to make very fine adjustments. Granted I didnít have this exact issue with my very very low (1600)dpi mouse but at least I could make small adjustments.
Jitter is most likely due to environment, like using a cloth pad at high DPI, particles of dirt, hand shake, inability of the mouse to hold a steady 1000Hz etc.

You've got a few options - drop DPI, drop polling, change Sync mode and/or adjust Smoothing. You should find a setting that allow for fine micro movement control, but it'll ultimately depend on your individual requirements.

You can use 1600 DPI, but don't use Sync > Off or you'll hit the Sensitivity cap. Use Sync > Default or Common instead.

Offline GitGud

• MVP
  • THE PUBG GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07:11 AM - 04/09/18 »
Everyone gets different results. I never had issues with 12k DPI @1000hz on my Rival 600. I have been using hard pad and then upgraded to a hybrid pad, I guess a lot of you are rocking a cloth pad, it is recommended to run under 4k DPI as high resolution will pick up the little fibres of cloth.

I tested both low DPI and high DPI and was night and day difference for me personally. Never experienced any jitter, micro-movements have been absolutely perfect and better than low DPI and Aim-Assist doesn't mess with my aim too much on games that have it.

There is no "high dpi is better" or "low dpi is better". It all depends on what your setup is.
My Current Setup + CouchMaster Review | PUBG Config | Warface Config | XIM Apex | Xbox One X |
SteelSeries Rival 600 | SteelSeries Dex | SteelSeries Apex M500 | SteelSeries Siberia 800 | Turtle Beach Stream Mic | 27' iiyama G-Master | CouchMaster Cycon

Offline Mazen al shami

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08:47 AM - 04/09/18 »
Btw xim experts ..... why jitter with 16k 1000hz .. even wheb smoothness to max ?