XIM Community

Capture Tutrorial.  (Read 4996 times)

Offline Lord Of The Sith

• MVP
  • Made up from mostly non toxic materials.
    • View Profile
Capture Tutrorial.
« on: 05:24 PM - 10/01/10 »
OK so this isn't a tutorial. Its more of a request!

I have just been reading this: http://xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=548.msg7984#msg7984

Basically i am requesting a tutorial / guide to EVERYTHING about capturing devices and capturing, Toys your banned from this discussion lol.

For whoever has the kahunas to make this topic, here are some pointers of what i think it needs to include.

- A list of all known capture devices that work to an acceptable level of quality.

- The list should include different capturing methods. (some of us game on the TV some of us use x2 monitors some of us use one monitor.) The devices them selves should be categorized into these sections

- [All devices that work on TV that you can game on while you record.]
 - [All devices that you need a secondary display e.g monitor or extra TV.]
 - [All devices that do any / everything]

This will help people such as my self start recording, or at least knowing what we need to buy!

I my self game on one monitor, my PC doesn't have any spare PCIe slots and isn't that great on performance.

I only have 1 DVI and 1 VGA display port on my monitor. I want to record game footage and sound with the best results possible on my current setup...

What are my options?

Hopefully someone with the knowledge will understand the need for this guide and make it.
I would make this guide my self but i know nothing about these devices or what i need to set them up.

Click > Here < for my COD4:RM / BOPs3 XIM4 Setup.

XIM4: FAQ - Downloads - Hardware Compatibility

Offline cld_f

• View Profile
Re: Capture Tutrorial.
« Reply #1 on: 02:48 PM - 10/03/10 »
I ordered my capture card recently, so I'm not knowledgeable to make a guide, but you could use the Hauppauge HDPVR.

You would need to connect it to a free usb port on your computer, then get the output from your console to it via component, and the output from the PVR to your monitor with a component to dvi adapter.

I'm not sure how you would get the audio to your speakers though.

Offline Lord Of The Sith

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03:26 PM - 10/03/10 »
I ordered my capture card recently, so I'm not knowledgeable to make a guide, but you could use the Hauppauge HDPVR.

You would need to connect it to a free usb port on your computer, then get the output from your console to it via component, and the output from the PVR to your monitor with a component to dvi adapter.

I'm not sure how you would get the audio to your speakers though.

Hmm i have no idea, kinda why i want someone who likes this sort of stuff to make a guide on what to buy for which setup, and how to use it and optimise.

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04:23 PM - 10/03/10 »
Why don't you want to hear from toys?
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline Lord Of The Sith

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04:27 PM - 10/03/10 »
Why don't you want to hear from toys?

Because he goes so in depth in his all out explanations he confuses the @#$% out of me lol.
Don't get me wrong he's a cool guy.

But just for that reason... i say keep away toys, don't even look at that keyboard, go back to star craft. lol...

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04:29 PM - 10/03/10 »
Oh, well I've heard good things about the BMI Shuttle, the catch is you need a usb 3.0 connection. Since you only have one pci-e slot I'm assuming you have usb 2.0 right?
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline Don

• MVP
  • Northern California
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
  • Gamertag: Donskii HD
« Reply #6 on: 05:39 PM - 10/03/10 »
Oh, well I've heard good things about the BMI Shuttle, the catch is you need a usb 3.0 connection. Since you only have one pci-e slot I'm assuming you have usb 2.0 right?

I've got the BMI Shuttle, and you need one of the new x58 motherboards.  If you don't have a powerful computer, I'd stay away from the Black Magic Intensity--10 min of recording comes out to about 7-8gb, and I was dropping frames until I got a quad-core CPU.  I've got friends who use the Happauage HD PVR, and they've got nothing but good things to say about it.
Proud owner of a XIM3

Youtube.com/d0nskiii     Xfire: Galvaniz3d     Xbox: Donskii HD, vIIv Don

My Setup:
Mionix Naos 5000     Razer Lycosa     24" ASUS 1080p 5ms     PureTrak Talent     Black Magic Intensity Shuttle     250GB Xbox 360 Slim

Intel i7 930     6GB 1600Mhz RAM     2x 2TB Seagate 7200 RPM HDDs in RAID0     128GB Crucial SATA III SD     2 ASUS EAH6850s (Crossfire)     EVGA x58 FTW3

Offline Lord Of The Sith

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04:36 AM - 10/04/10 »
so basically its get a Hauppauge or @#$%?

OK so does anyone have a hauppauge that they have set up in different configurations? maybe used it while playing on a monitor one time, now they're using it on a TV setup?

I don't know, am just want to know everything about it i suppose.

So can maybe someone do a complete guide on the hauppauge? lol can anyone be bothered?

Offline Gabbagod

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06:10 AM - 10/04/10 »
I too have been looking at these capture devices but have a few limitations. Mainly, I have no PCI-E slot as my PC is THAT old. Therefore it would need to be a USB device.

I also connect to a monitor via HDMI cable and the audio goes to a surround sound system. Would I be right in saying I would have to connect with a Component cable to the Capture device, then Component out again with an adapter to connect to the DVI slot in my monitor?

Also what would happen to the sound? If its connected via Optical to my surround system, would the audio also go through the Component cable to the card at the same time?

Offline cld_f

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01:00 PM - 10/04/10 »
You can run the audio through optical, component, and hdmi by enabling Multi-Output in the ps3s audio options.

You could use one of these, to get the audio to your headphones from component output.
« Last Edit: 01:15 PM - 10/04/10 by cld_f »

Offline Gabbagod

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11:45 AM - 10/07/10 »
How about 360? Could I attach the optical to my 5.1 system and also have the red and white audio go to the capture device?

Offline Lord Of The Sith

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08:21 PM - 10/07/10 »
See people are asking for this information, can someone with the knowledge and know how please try making a cap tut, for all cap cards. and different scenarios?

Offline TheGroove

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10:32 PM - 10/07/10 »
The problem with a comprehensive tutorial for all capture cards, etc. is that no one has set up all the different capture cards.  They usually only deal with one or two.  And the program you use to capture is most of the learning curve.

I only know about the Blackmagic Intensity Pro, but that's all you need.  If you have a fast computer, get it.  It records 1080i, 720p, 480p (16x9 and 4x3) and can use HDMI, component, s-video, and composite as inputs AND outputs.  That means you have zero lag when you play because the xbox goes into your computer using whatever input, and then right back out to your TV/computer monitor using any output.

I use Adobe Premiere to capture, although the Blackmagic Media Express software isn't so bad.  You definitely need a RAID 0 hard drive setup if you are capturing HD uncompressed.

Also, the audio works really well with the xbox if you have the audio breakout dongle that comes with the Elite.  I *believe* it will output toslink audio and stereo out of that thing at the same time.  I've never tried it though.

I have the xbox running HDMI into the Intensity Pro card, and then HDMI out of the capture card to the secondary input of my monitor.  Then I just switch inputs back and forth for my computer and the xbox.

Offline Don

• MVP
  • Northern California
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
  • Gamertag: Donskii HD
« Reply #13 on: 11:10 PM - 10/07/10 »
The problem with a comprehensive tutorial for all capture cards, etc. is that no one has set up all the different capture cards.  They usually only deal with one or two.  And the program you use to capture is most of the learning curve.

I only know about the Blackmagic Intensity Pro, but that's all you need.  If you have a fast computer, get it.  It records 1080i, 720p, 480p (16x9 and 4x3) and can use HDMI, component, s-video, and composite as inputs AND outputs.  That means you have zero lag when you play because the xbox goes into your computer using whatever input, and then right back out to your TV/computer monitor using any output.

I use Adobe Premiere to capture, although the Blackmagic Media Express software isn't so bad.  You definitely need a RAID 0 hard drive setup if you are capturing HD uncompressed.

Also, the audio works really well with the xbox if you have the audio breakout dongle that comes with the Elite.  I *believe* it will output toslink audio and stereo out of that thing at the same time.  I've never tried it though.

I have the xbox running HDMI into the Intensity Pro card, and then HDMI out of the capture card to the secondary input of my monitor.  Then I just switch inputs back and forth for my computer and the xbox.

Out of curiosity, why are you capturing uncompressed?  The amount of disk space required is ungodly--is your CPU just not powerful enough for the compressed MJPEG format?
Proud owner of a XIM3

Youtube.com/d0nskiii     Xfire: Galvaniz3d     Xbox: Donskii HD, vIIv Don

My Setup:
Mionix Naos 5000     Razer Lycosa     24" ASUS 1080p 5ms     PureTrak Talent     Black Magic Intensity Shuttle     250GB Xbox 360 Slim

Intel i7 930     6GB 1600Mhz RAM     2x 2TB Seagate 7200 RPM HDDs in RAID0     128GB Crucial SATA III SD     2 ASUS EAH6850s (Crossfire)     EVGA x58 FTW3

Offline TheGroove

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11:52 PM - 10/07/10 »
I do a lot of post production work in After EFfects on the captured footage, so the rule of thumb is to always keep things uncompressed until the end.  Otherwise you end up losing data all throughout the process.

Plus, I haven't really found a codec that looks decent compared to uncompressed.

Admin