XIM Community

Nick Polling rates  (Read 4476 times)

technogiant

Nick Polling rates
« on: 12:12 AM - 07/01/08 »
Nick I see in your updates to "test progress" thread you are trying different polling rates...I know you said your doing it in xp but if you are thinking of also doing it in vista I've found this that may help

http://www.ngohq.com/news/12163-how-force-1000hz-usb-sample-rate-windows-vista.html

Also found this for XP...but I think there's plenty of patches to do this for XP but if it's of any help here it is.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/USB-Mouserate-switcher.shtml

Anyway good luck

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
  • Xim360 Tester. All Hail Xim360!
    • View Profile
Re: Nick Polling rates
« Reply #1 on: 09:38 AM - 07/01/08 »
Hey thanks for that information.

Currently, yes after extensive testing I am doing the system level tweaks to enhance the experience. Right now, my focus is on XP and I will be hitting Windows Vista next.

It's exciting stuff. I lost my hard drive a day ago so I am really mad as I lost some of my H3 films. I bought another HD and sent the one I bought back to MS since I didn't want to wait around for them. The HD is for the 360 by the way, not my pc in case you wondering. First the RROD, then the HD. I backed up my content 3 weeks ago, but I didn't back up since testing Xim360. I don't think technology likes me or something. Anyway, I wasn't down but a few hours as I hunted down a new HD.

I know I just ranted off there, but I just got on and I had to vent. Anyway, Xp first, Vista second. I also have Windows 2000 on the list as well to test.

Also, I put Winxp on a 8GB flash drive and booted my computer with no hard drive then I have a second 4GB stick as a storage device. I made it so it's portable to pretty much any computer so I can take it with me. I will be doing the same with Vista although I have to strip it down a little bit to get it to fit. Also doing this with Windows 2000.

I did it as a quick way to test different OS's without hassling too much.

@#$% I just ranted again, so yes I am working on the USB polling rates, I will report back once I get more detail

On PC gaming, I can feel the difference. I am messing around on the 360 to see how it affects it, so far I have inconclusive data so I'll report back later on that.
Happy Xim360 tester (former)

Gamertag ii TR00F ii
That's 2 i's a space a TR then 2 zero's an F then a space then 2 more i's.

Offline Svyline

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09:41 AM - 07/01/08 »
 :o how could you lose your 360HD, let me clarify: did you lose the content of your HD or you Misplaced it?

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09:44 AM - 07/01/08 »
:o how could you lose your 360HD, let me clarify: did you lose the content of your HD or you Misplaced it?

It made a wonderful sound "click.........click..........click.............click" so in essence, data was GONE. But I made a back up 3 weeks ago, so I got 98% of my stuff back.

So I had to recover my XBL account along with buying a new HD and also dumping everything from my 3 week old back up back onto the HD again.

Gamertag ii TR00F ii

Offline Ding Chavez

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: DcIhNaGv3z
« Reply #4 on: 11:19 AM - 07/01/08 »
There is really no point to go beyond the max 360 polling rate.  I am totally guessing here, but I would assume its max polling rate is 125hz similar to the default PC USB max polling rate.  But I am only guessing that the 360 has the same max polling rate as a PC USB.

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11:26 AM - 07/01/08 »
Well there are many factors involved here:

Chipsets in other USB devices
The USB host controller on my MB
Checking the poll rate by using usbview on each device to determing threshold.

Problem is I cannot find squat on USB polling rate for the xbox 360. If anyone can come up with it or find a white paper on it, I would be very happy.

If it is stuck at 125mhz, that's ok too as I can just pair up everything to run the same for testing.

We shall see.

Gamertag ii TR00F ii

Offline cameltoe

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: xsmoothupinyax
« Reply #6 on: 12:02 PM - 07/01/08 »
No offense but this sounds like a waste of time to me. Just use all default settings. Many users and not gonna mess around trying to change their computers polling rate! If it betters performence, consider it a bonus!

Get XIM 2 running as best as possible at the default settings!

Offline Svyline

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02:24 PM - 07/01/08 »
No offense but this sounds like a waste of time to me. Just use all default settings. Many users and not gonna mess around trying to change their computers polling rate! If it betters performence, consider it a bonus!

I'm pretty sure what Nick is doing is waiting time. If he is, ObsIV or Derek will be on him already. You do know they are testing the device so anything goes, Nick is doing everything so we can have a near or perfect device when it goes public.

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02:31 PM - 07/01/08 »

It is has been running at default settings EXCELLENCE BEYOND MEASURE. Something you will find that using different polling rates yield very different results when just using default settings (30 vs 60 vs 120 and beyond vs various DPI) against various mice. for example 60/sec at 400 DPI is not that nice where as 60 at 1800 is. There is a broad audience that has a wide array of hardware to interface with the Xim360. Messing with Windows polling rates is just an idea I am entertaining, the rates I am testing right now are from 1 to 125 since that is in the range of windows, tweaking windows settings is a secondary objective. I do not know what the 360 polling rates are but they would have to be at least that.

60 for an mx518 feels @#$% nice at 1800DPI. However when I dump it to 800 at 60 it's a different feel. So for anyone to say "default" is only relative to what the default is tied too. So while I cannot own every mouse in the world I can test every dpi up to 2400 right now.

Gamertag ii TR00F ii

Offline Juncti

• MVP
  • MultiXimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02:34 PM - 07/01/08 »

I'd have to agree with this. As the new Xim is being made more and more into a finished project rather than a small DIY project, it seems like some official configs should be the goal.

I'd imagine that you could create settings that would probably be enjoyed by 99% of the users. Sure some people will tweak things, but overall I think the improvements will leave the configs the testers find as great configs for most. Only modification I'd make would be my button layout.

I can't wait, I hope there will be configs put in the downloads section as great configs are found, allowing the users to enjoy playing rather than tweaking.

Offline Ding Chavez

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: DcIhNaGv3z
« Reply #10 on: 02:49 PM - 07/01/08 »
Even if the Xbox 360 will poll its USB faster then a PC's default 125hz, I doubt that most game engines will update that fast anyway.  From what I have read, most PC games will update somewhere around 66 to 100 “ticks”, so I doubt Xbox 360 games will update any faster, regardless of USB polling.

The point being, 125hz is more then enough and efforts of going beyond 125hz will likely yield absolutely no benefit

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03:07 PM - 07/01/08 »
Even if the Xbox 360 will poll its USB faster then a PC's default 125hz, I doubt that most game engines will update that fast anyway.  From what I have read, most PC games will update somewhere around 66 to 100 “ticks”, so I doubt Xbox 360 games will update any faster, regardless of USB polling.

The point being, 125hz is more then enough and efforts of going beyond 125hz will likely yield absolutely no benefit

That is my conclusion as well Ding and what I have noticed - you can go higher but my guess is the mouse would have to be 4000DPI to get near the 125 spot from what I have tested so far. 66 to 100 ticks, sounds CSS servers. I used to have a 100tick gun game server, that was fun. Anyway, 60 updates a second seems to be the magic number on higher DPI mice (1600 and above) while around 1200 can be around ~45-50 ish.

Gamertag ii TR00F ii

technogiant

« Reply #12 on: 08:40 AM - 07/02/08 »
 ??? little confused by this, I've got a razer lachesis which can do 4000dpi and has a polling rate of upto 1000....what is this tick rate you are talking about?

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09:27 AM - 07/02/08 »
??? little confused by this, I've got a razer lachesis which can do 4000dpi and has a polling rate of upto 1000....what is this tick rate you are talking about?

Ahh yes the lachesis, how did I miss that one, I need to add it to the list that I tested it. I used it at the 4k dpi and it wouldn't act right past upper 70's updates/second. How did I forget to put that in there, it's sitting on my desk lol.

Tick is the processing of commands, simulation steps, object checking and rules. Each tick the server decides if a client needs an update and takes inventory of what the current state is. Basically the higher the tick rate the more CPU power and more bandwidth on both ends (client and server). In my organization we heavily rely on "base lining" which is testing our server farms for various tick rates. Sometimes having more cpu power and more bandwidth that one could handle (here we have DS3's by the dozen) sometimes higher tick rates doesn't always mean better performance.

The subject at hand here however, is USB polling rates which are not the same as "tick" rates. Hopefully I answered your question for you though. Any questions?

Gamertag ii TR00F ii

technogiant

« Reply #14 on: 11:04 AM - 07/02/08 »
The subject at hand here however, is USB polling rates which are not the same as "tick" rates. Hopefully I answered your question for you though. Any questions?

??? thanks for trying... but I've no experience of this and I'm not from an I.T. background...I'm just glad the testing is in safe and knowledgeable hands