XIM Community

[TUT] Superior Translation via Unorthodox Method (Performance Tweak)  (Read 17144 times)

Offline Lzy

• View Profile
Works  ;)

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqwNU1ASuTw
That is some crispy gunplay.

What this thread fails to articulate is why anyone feels this is better than a vanilla 45 degree curve. Theoretically, with sensitivity values adjusted, it should be approximately the same given all this curve does is multiply sensitivity to an absurd degree, as correctly pointed out by tsarga.

What are you feeling that makes this curve 'good'? Is it improved micro-aim when aiming at a target due to low sensitivity when the reticle is static? Is it better turning or snapping from target to target? Is it genuinely any better than no curve and simply using normal sensitivity values given what this curve actually does?

I don't play much CoD, but from my experience it doesn't need any help in the aim department and has the best all-round look mechanic of any console game, so I tend to think there's a strong placebo effect at play here. I'd be interested in HeadHunter's take on this given he's a fantastic CoD gamer and doesn't use curves.

It's not better. I just wanted to show my experience but i think its the same...

I don't use the curve anymore

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
It's not better. I just wanted to show my experience but i think its the same...

I don't use the curve anymore
Thanks for your feedback. Given the Curve's sudden leap to 100%, did you find it twitchy, or did using super-low sens values even that out?

Again, stellar gunplay!

Official Australian distributor for
XIM NEXUS, XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline TSARGA

• View Profile
It's technically a a vanilla sensitivity shift but I will still consider it a vanilla accelerant  whether it truly is or it isn't because it does stretch the curve and allow a much lower initial speed and a much greater max speed to be used simultaneously. I will continue to classify this as a form of acceleration because it's easy for most people to identify with what that signifies.

Your logic is flawed. Remember that the X-axis represents input and the Y-axis represents output. If you want a lower initial (minimum) speed, you need a higher input resolution, which is equivalent to more X values. The Y-axis is the output range - it's always constant. More X per Y is the increase in the X/Y ratio. Increase in the X/Y ratio is the decrease in the Y/X ratio which by definition is the decrease in the gradient of the line (not increase, which is what you did).

And you will never get a higher max speed.

And in this context, "acceleration" means "non-linear behaviour". How can you classify a linear ballistic curve as a form of acceleration curve?

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Remember that the X-axis represents input and the Y-axis represents output.
That's really the key to understanding Xim ballistics and I don't think I've seen in phrased so succinctly before.

For a primer on Ballistics Curves, there's no better place to start than pages 18 & 19 of the Xim4 manual - http://xim.tech/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/XIM4-User-Manual.pdf.

The first example on page 19 is roughly what we'd expect to see for most curves. Some of you will recognise the second example from some Overwatch curves. The third curve is for both improved micro-aim by dipping below linear at the start, and faster turning by ramping above linear at the end.

There are numerous examples of minor increases in acceleration near the midpoint of a curve, which is typical of an anti-aim-assist curve. That's largely redundant on Apex with the bump in polling rate and the inclusion of Smoothing and Synchronise, but may be useful for games like Fortnite. Check the green ADS examples on RML's thread at http://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=56658.0 and note the hump in the middle.

DrLupo uses a more subtle approach here - https://imgur.com/a/CWfUu. HIP curve has acceleration so he can both shoot from the HIP with control (linear) and turn quickly (accelerated). ADS curve has slight acceleration midway to assist with the Aim Assist slowdown for hitbox entry.

mj's curve is an outlier in that acceleration is constant and dramatic, which is abnormal. It’s redundant as all it does is increase sensitivity which is countered by the sens value drops. We have seen stuff like this from Ballsticks, but that died off pretty quickly and he used it for AA at low sensitivity, not with AA disabled.

Most games DO NOT need curves, the translator takes care of linear mouse input to aim output and all you're doing with a curve is adding deceleration &/or acceleration, which is typically undesirable.
« Last Edit: 09:12 PM - 04/06/18 by antithesis »

Offline Nokami

• Ehm... hey?
    • View Profile
Works  ;)

This Quick Scope bullcrap makes me so angry lmao, aim anywhere near and gucci.

But back to topic, just amused.
« Last Edit: 08:19 PM - 04/06/18 by Nokami »
Mouse: G900 | Keyboard: G710+ | XIM APEX
Gameplay: YouTube

Offline Lzy

• View Profile
Works  ;)

This Quick Scope bullcrap makes me so angry lmao, aim anywhere near and gucci.

But back to topic, just amused.

https://youtu.be/nwxlaKZQlzA

Watch this and you will understand why it looks like I'm off target

Sorry for offtopic but people still don't understand this game LMAO

Offline mjfame

• "Kolibri King" | Global Rank #1
    • View Profile
    • BF1 Kolibri King aka the BabyPistolPro: #1 in the world. (Semi-Retired)
  • Gamertag: MJ FAME (Active)
  • PSN ID: MJ-FAME (Retired)
Played my first game of Infinite Warfare with this new curve and just went 39 & 2. Thank you good sir.

you bet
XIM APEX // BETA : 20180402
Logitech G Pro // Swift-RX XL // XB1X // Sony GDM-FW900 (CRT) // BenQ RL2455HM (LCD)

"Kolibri King" | Global Rank #1 | 2017.07.27 (10k)

https://battlefieldtracker.com/bf1/leaderboards/all/Kills/weapon/33f9105c-40c7-3980-7982-add4b9f6311a

Offline mjfame

• View Profile
I'm not here to poop on the picnic, we can all do what we like with our Xims, but you'll notice there's no comments or participation from veteran members, almost without fail those giving this a go are new Xim users. That's understandable given this curve looks like the new hotness to anyone who hasn't used curves before and this kind of thing happens every year or two.

An acceleration curve typically follows a pattern of low at the start for improved micro-aim, followed by an increasingly steep incline for improved turn speed, which would seem to be the desired effect. All this curve does is add a crapload of sensitivity and I fail to see the benefit of dropping sensitivity by 50 times, then increasing it 50 times using this curve, bringing it back to a linear 45 degree curve, but with additional mouse filtering overhead and the potential to introduce tracking issues.

That's why I'm curious to see what an experienced Xim CoD player like HeadHunter has to say about this. He's fantastic at CoD with plain vanilla Xim settings - will this curve have any positive or negative effect on his gameplay, or make no difference at all?

Again, use it or not at your own discretion, I'm not trying to sway opinion, I'm just genuinely curious why peeps are using this oddball curve (no offense to mj, I applaud the experimentation and his willingness to share). We have seen this type of curve before, but interest tends to fall off and folks including the curve-makers drift back to more normal settings as they get more experience using their Xims.

On face value, I can't see the benefits myself, but I'll have a play around this weekend to confirm. I question whether simply using a lower Sensitivity for improved control, no Smoothing for improved turn responsiveness and an appropriate Sync setting is the meat and potatoes here rather than the Curve itself, which again just increases sensitivity.

this isn't just for cod. the purpose of using curves this extreme is to better align analog velocity emulation which is most important at the start of the curve. hell even the battlefield 1 radial menu works as good as it does with analog without flickering from performance gaps when using curves like this. your swipes still feel 1:1 and much close to raw mouse which makes sens since the multiplier is much lower. resolution of the translation seems much higher and output much cleaner than straight vanilla. that's what this does. the result is similar to what i did on the titan with the dpi mismatch trick.
Logitech G Pro // Swift-RX XL // XB1X // Sony GDM-FW900 (CRT) // BenQ RL2455HM (LCD)

https://battlefieldtracker.com/bf1/leaderboards/all/Kills/weapon/33f9105c-40c7-3980-7982-add4b9f6311a

Offline mjfame

• View Profile
Forget cod, fortnite etc.,,  concentrate on the only game that matters, BF1 :-) (ps4 pro, g502 @ 3200dpi 500 polling - so you can match it exact :-):-) )

these are just examples and can be adapted for any game.. here's my current BF1 setup with aim assist rotation and slowdown enabled and "universal soldier aiming" enabled within the in-game menu. ADS on Xim Manager deactivated.

https://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=64530.msg677738#msg677738

Offline Frash brang

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Antithesis D
I'm not here to poop on the picnic, we can all do what we like with our Xims, but you'll notice there's no comments or participation from veteran members, almost without fail those giving this a go are new Xim users. That's understandable given this curve looks like the new hotness to anyone who hasn't used curves before and this kind of thing happens every year or two.

An acceleration curve typically follows a pattern of low at the start for improved micro-aim, followed by an increasingly steep incline for improved turn speed, which would seem to be the desired effect. All this curve does is add a crapload of sensitivity and I fail to see the benefit of dropping sensitivity by 50 times, then increasing it 50 times using this curve, bringing it back to a linear 45 degree curve, but with additional mouse filtering overhead and the potential to introduce tracking issues.

That's why I'm curious to see what an experienced Xim CoD player like HeadHunter has to say about this. He's fantastic at CoD with plain vanilla Xim settings - will this curve have any positive or negative effect on his gameplay, or make no difference at all?

Again, use it or not at your own discretion, I'm not trying to sway opinion, I'm just genuinely curious why peeps are using this oddball curve (no offense to mj, I applaud the experimentation and his willingness to share). We have seen this type of curve before, but interest tends to fall off and folks including the curve-makers drift back to more normal settings as they get more experience using their Xims.

On face value, I can't see the benefits myself, but I'll have a play around this weekend to confirm. I question whether simply using a lower Sensitivity for improved control, no Smoothing for improved turn responsiveness and an appropriate Sync setting is the meat and potatoes here rather than the Curve itself, which again just increases sensitivity.

this isn't just for cod. the purpose of using curves this extreme is to better align analog velocity emulation which is most important at the start of the curve. hell even the battlefield 1 radial menu works as good as it does with analog without flickering from performance gaps when using curves like this. your swipes still feel 1:1 and much close to raw mouse which makes sens since the multiplier is much lower. resolution of the translation seems much higher and output much cleaner than straight vanilla. that's what this does. the result is similar to what i did on the titan with the dpi mismatch trick.

Sorry late to this party, can you explain how this curve differs from just increasing your xim sensitivity?

What is analog velocity emulation?

What is a performance gap?

What do you mean when you say resolution of the translation seems much higher?

And output cleaner?

Just trying to work out what's going on here.

Offline piiwii

• MVP
    • View Profile
Lol I seem to be the polar opposite of everyone here. I use stock standard XIM settings and curves but go hog wild when it comes to scripting. 
Setup: XIM Apex, Titan Two, K780 keyboard, G Pro Wireless mouse, Logitech G440 mousepad, LucidSound LS30 headphones, Netduma router, Ubiquiti UniFi AP LR wireless access point

My RAINBOW SIX SIEGE Titan Two Mega Script: https://youtu.be/x-9NtxyySVM

What is a ballistic curve? Click here to learn more: https://bit.ly/2qzUAjg

Comprehensive guide on scissor style keyboards: https://goo.gl/UtkZyX

Find me on the ConsoleTuner (Titan Two) forums: pablosscripts

Offline ceebs

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: ceebs_63
  • PSN ID: Captain_Minxley
This thread is fascinating reading. It's really interesting to see how other XIM users perceive Ballistic Curves and their effect, in-game.

To be honest, I ignored the thread when mjfame started it: the curve looks impressive, and the technical detail is clearly written to make an impact, but all the curve is doing is increasing on-screen sensitivity the faster the mouse is moved.

I've seen many exciting curves like this over the years, and tried out many with the XIM4, but I've almost always come back to the vanilla 1:1. In all honesty, I've found curves to be pretty anachronistic since running the Apex. It took me a bit of tweaking to get it feeling snappy, using various versions of beta firmware and adjusting Smoothing and the new "boost", but I found that unlike the 4 the Apex really doesn't benefit from curves.

OP is selling snake oil, but the thread makes for good reading.

Where's HL3?

XIM Apex, PS4 Pro + Crucial MX500 1TB, Xbox Series X, Allreli T9+, Swiftpoint Z, Aorus AMP500, AKG K702, Creative Sound Blaster X7, iFi Zen DAC v2, iFi Zen CAN, Eve Spectrum 4K 144Hz.

LIAN LI A4 H2O, ASRock Z690M-ITX/ax, Intel Core i5 12400, EK-AIO Basic 240, Crucial 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 2TB, Crucial MX500 1TB, KFA2 RTX 3080 SG, Cooler Master V850 SFX Gold and if you've read this far, you too are a genuine geek, my friend!

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Sorry late to this party, can you explain how this curve differs from just increasing your xim sensitivity?
It doesn't. The curve is plain and simple a sensitivity multiplier and does nothing but cost you sensitivity granularity, range and resolution. Refer to the BF1 thread with the even crazier curve (almost a straight line up).

The rest is fluff.

Try it, but beware the placebo effect is strong with this one.

Offline ceebs

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: ceebs_63
  • PSN ID: Captain_Minxley
It's a vanilla curve but it's operating on an exponential scale. Therefore it technically is a sort of hybrid acceleration/deceleration in its purest form.
It looks linear rather than exponential.
It's linear. An exponential increase is demonstrated by an upward curve. (Bored, at work :) )

Where's HL3?

XIM Apex, PS4 Pro + Crucial MX500 1TB, Xbox Series X, Allreli T9+, Swiftpoint Z, Aorus AMP500, AKG K702, Creative Sound Blaster X7, iFi Zen DAC v2, iFi Zen CAN, Eve Spectrum 4K 144Hz.

LIAN LI A4 H2O, ASRock Z690M-ITX/ax, Intel Core i5 12400, EK-AIO Basic 240, Crucial 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 2TB, Crucial MX500 1TB, KFA2 RTX 3080 SG, Cooler Master V850 SFX Gold and if you've read this far, you too are a genuine geek, my friend!

Offline TSARGA

• View Profile