XIM Community

Using PC Headset on Xbox  (Read 5914 times)

Offline Timb

• View Profile
Using PC Headset on Xbox
« on: 02:20 PM - 09/23/10 »
Greetings,

So, I'm currently working on getting my PC350's to work with my Xbox for both game sounds and mic input.

My current setup is as follows:

Xbox -> Monitor via Component RCA's.

Audio Output RCA's -> RCA to 3.5mm splitter/adapter -> Audio In on PC350's * Works - I do get game sound and voice chat.

Microphone on PC350's -> 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter -> Controller. * Doesn't function. I'm not sure if the issue here is due to the adapter being simply a stereo adapter and not split for mic input + the voice chat output or if it's something else. One thing I do notice is that if the adapter starts to slip out of the controller (XIM controller,) the controller will reconnect to the Xbox. Unsure as to why.

** Edit **
I'm fairly certain the issue with the mic is due to the controller jack being wired for an audio out + audio in. Perhaps if I bought another splitter (Two 3.5mm females to 1 2.5mm Male) it might work? Thoughts?
** End Edit **

** Edit #2 **
I was wrong. It is working. However, the mic needs amplified. Bah.
** End Edit **

I'm sure someone else has managed to do something like this with minimal effort. Any tips?
« Last Edit: 03:22 PM - 09/23/10 by Timb »

Offline rklamer

• View Profile
Re: Using PC Headset on Xbox
« Reply #1 on: 03:50 PM - 09/23/10 »
You need an adapter for the mic made for the 360. I don't know how it works, but whatever you plug into the controller has to be made for the 360 in order for it to function in it.

Offline Timb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03:58 PM - 09/23/10 »
You need an adapter for the mic made for the 360. I don't know how it works, but whatever you plug into the controller has to be made for the 360 in order for it to function in it.

Perhaps that is why it barely picks up the mic input?

If that is the case, perhaps I should just buy one of these? Sadly, all I need is the adapter for the mic, as I've already got good sound from the xbox itself.

Or I could just buy an amp and be done with it. Rather than spending the bills on the Astro Mixamp, I could pickup the Turtle Beach DSS.

Offline Supremespeed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02:59 PM - 09/24/10 »
I use a Male 2.5mm to Female 3.5mm coupler. Works just fine. Although I am not sure if you need the stereo version or mono. I forgot, would have to check when I get home. But everyone hears me just fine on their end, they say I am loud and clear. I switch my voice perferences to output only to speakers.

Similar to this
http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimted-AUD4350-Stereo-Adapter/dp/B000V6R32Q
Except radioshack brand and works.

To get louder audio from the headset then yes you will need some sort of amplifier. Either hook up your xbox 360 to the "Line In" on your PC or get a seperate amp. PC will most likely be the cheaper route if it's in close proximity.
« Last Edit: 03:08 PM - 09/24/10 by Supremespeed »

Offline Timb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05:29 PM - 09/24/10 »
To get louder audio from the headset then yes you will need some sort of amplifier. Either hook up your xbox 360 to the "Line In" on your PC or get a seperate amp. PC will most likely be the cheaper route if it's in close proximity.

Yeah, I said hell with it and dropped the cash on the Astro Mixamp. I figure if I'm using good cans, I might as well get a good amp.

The audio I get through the headset right now is fine. It's just the mic that needs boosted. I started a party on Xbox just to see if I was getting mic input, but it would only register voice if I almost ate the mic boom and made a loud squealing noise.

One thing I do notice, which the Astro Mixamp supposedly allows me to remedy, is that the game volume overpowers the voice volume. I checked around in the options menu and couldn't find a "Game Volume" slider, so I'm not entirely sure I can fix it until the amp gets here.

I'm just hoping the amp works well. I really do not enjoy having the craptastic stock Xbox headset hanging off my neck for mic input.

Offline Supremespeed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01:46 PM - 09/27/10 »
Must be your coupler or your mic. I am using a clip on mic I got from my old pair of Icemat Siberia headphones and it works great. As far as the game volume, only certain games allow you to tweak it, Halo Reach is one of them that does NOT allow you to change game volume. Sometimes the music overpowers voices which sucks.

Also next month Xbox Live gets a voice patch to increase voice quality. Finally!

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02:01 PM - 09/27/10 »
search function is your friend ;o

ive opened a smiliar topic a few weeks ago with some good results
there are some adapters which solve the whole problem, just read through it

http://xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=6194.0

however, there are some disadvantages
the different adapters are no official microsoft-stuff, thats why the microphone-volume in the xbox-settings wont work
result: its really really really hard to hear other people cause the enviromentsound of the game is like 2-3 times louder
cause those adapers only work when you set "microphone volume through speakers"

but you can solve that
the microphone sound is a way louder if you use the volume-output of the controller
(then you can hear other people perfectly)
so what you will need is another adapter, which combines the gameaudiocable with the microphone-soundcable to one, so that you can hear both at the same time
im not sure if such an adapter exists (2 3,5mm cinch sounds into 1 3,5mm cinch)
if so, please post such an adapter, im sure its a help for a lot of people

i hope you understand what i mean, if not, i can try to explain it a way better ;)
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIM Central

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08:09 PM - 09/27/10 »
the audiomixer seems to be an awsome adapter
any clues of its releasedate? :)
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

Offline Sean

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08:23 PM - 09/27/10 »
the audiomixer seems to be an awsome adapter
any clues of its releasedate? :)

Nope but it looks like they are already including it with some of their other headsets that are currently for sale.

So I don't think it could be long.

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08:31 PM - 09/27/10 »
good news, ill check it regulary
thanks for the info

Offline Timb

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05:00 AM - 10/07/10 »
Well, here's an update.

Received my Astro Mixamp last Friday. Got it all hooked up, bought a decent toslink cable and hooked 'er up.

One thing I will say up front: The toslink cable makes a HUGE difference in sound quality. It's really quite a bit better than I figured it would be.

Anyway, as for the mixamp... it works flawlessly. Clear voice input, great sound quality, etc. If you got the cash laying around to throw down on a mixamp, I'd recommend it.

Admin