XIM Community

Razor Lycosa. Could be a problem?  (Read 6624 times)

Offline OctaNe

• View Profile
Razor Lycosa. Could be a problem?
« on: 01:24 AM - 09/21/10 »
Ok this just sprung into my head, The XIM3 has 3 USB ports + 1 Console port.

I have the Razor lycosa Keyboard, And a Mouse *Microsoft* that cost me $20 (I don't know what its called but its lasted longer than my mates two $120 Logitech's)(Go Microsoft).

Q.1 (Probably Stupid) Will the 3 USB ports Be enough for my Keyboard and mouse? As my keyboard has 2 USB connectors, one for push response, and the other for lighting the keys up. (Mouse only has 1) *3 Total*
Just Curious to see if one of the three ports is going to be occupied by an object other than Keyboard and mouse.

Q.2 Will The XIM3 Allow power to the motherboard, for its lighting. (Otherwise it impossible for me to read the keys) *I cant Tux type*

So here is a picture of my setup. (Quite old photo by the way) I have a new desk, new room and screen. I will be adding my Xbox to my gaming desk, so i can switch between, both console and pc on one screen.

For those who are Going to ask my specs, (Read Here)
Nothing special, But it runs all the latest games, at 35+ Frames MAXED! (thats my cut off point) (then i have to drop the detail)

CPU: Core 2 Duo 3.16 @ 4.01
Mobo: Asus P5Q Pro
HDD: 2X WD 320GB
GFX Card: EVGA9800GTX+SC
Ram: 2X2GB G.Skill 1066
Power Supply: Cooler master? 650W
CPU Fan: xigmatek achilles s1284c
Case: Thermaltake Armor+MX
LCD: Acer X243H 24" FullHD
« Last Edit: 01:46 AM - 09/21/10 by OctaNe »

Offline Raging Mage

• View Profile
Re: Razor Lycosa. Could be a problem?
« Reply #1 on: 01:34 AM - 09/21/10 »
Q.1 (Probably Stupid) Will the 3 USB ports Be enough for my Keyboard and mouse? As my keyboard has 2 USB connectors, one for push response, and the other for lighting the keys up. (Mouse only has 1) *3 Total*
Just Curious to see if one of the three ports is going to be occupied by an object other than Keyboard and mouse.

Q.2 Will The XIM3 Allow power to the motherboard, for its lighting. (Otherwise it impossible for me to read the keys) *I cant Tux type*

A wired controller must be plugged into XIM3 at all times, which uses one of the three USB ports, so you'd have two remaining ports for the keyboard and mouse unless you use some kind of workaround. As for power considerations, XIM3 is bus powered, but it includes a power connector socket that would allow you to use a power cord to plug it into a wall outlet or surge protector if the bus power proves to be insufficient.
« Last Edit: 02:27 PM - 09/21/10 by Raging Mage »

Offline technogiant

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01:45 AM - 09/21/10 »
If your keyboard can't be powered by the xim3 via one usb connector then you could plug your second usb connector into oneof these.

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=400738

or something similar

Offline OctaNe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01:58 AM - 09/21/10 »
http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=400738

Sorry. BAHAHAHAHA is that an American power socket? Its like an OMG face kinda like O_o that with a more shocked image.

So There will be no free socket for the Keyboard power?

Anyway i will see what there is for Aussie sockets. (Ours is kinda like the face off scary movie!)

Offline technogiant

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02:35 AM - 09/21/10 »
There's lots of alternatives......just gooooooogle about a bit. You could probably even used a powered usb hub, without having it plugged into any host just the power supply, or a simple usb charger....not really an unsurrmountable concern.
« Last Edit: 02:51 AM - 09/21/10 by technogiant »

Offline Amuro

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04:56 AM - 09/21/10 »
I have the mirror edition of Lycosa, and I can tell you that you only need to plug in one of the USB connectors for the keyboard to work.  The other connector is just a pass through for the USB port on the Lycosa, so you don't need to plug it in if you don't use the port.  You also don't need to plug in the audio connectors if you don't plan on connecting a headset to the keyboard.  
« Last Edit: 05:06 AM - 09/21/10 by Amuro »

Offline Handicrap

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03:08 PM - 09/21/10 »
Couldn't you plug the third USB into the back of the 360 and call it good?

Offline paulrules

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04:17 PM - 09/21/10 »
Couldn't you plug the third USB into the back of the 360 and call it good?

QFT.

The Lycosa doesn't use anything fancy for lighting. It's just a USB port for power, so ANY port with power will work.

Offline glenn37216

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04:52 PM - 09/21/10 »
Usb hubs do work on the 360 , so yea these guys are right on the money. I use this one myself.

Uhhg. I hate that lycosa mirror though. What a terrible keyboard. Key's get slippery. So light that it slides around everywhere when your gaming..  Arrow keys sink below the keyboard making it hard to slide your fingers off to hit another key. Touch pad media controls /back lit controls suck balls.

Wanna buy one of mine ?

Offline Amuro

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08:32 PM - 09/21/10 »
Uhhg. I hate that lycosa mirror though. What a terrible keyboard. Key's get slippery. So light that it slides around everywhere when your gaming..  Arrow keys sink below the keyboard making it hard to slide your fingers off to hit another key. Touch pad media controls /back lit controls suck balls.
I actually like the mirror edition more, except the cleaing part.  I had the regular Lycosa for a week, didn't like the feel of the rubber keys so I returned it and got the mirror one.  I don't find the keys slipery at all, in fact, they tend to get sticky when I game as I tend to sweat.  Anyways, I'll be getting a Black Widow Ultimate when it's released to repalce the Lycosa  I'm just so sick of cleaning the thing after each gaming section. 

Offline Flamemonkey

• MVP
  • Nomnomnom?
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: H3X AntiStyle
« Reply #10 on: 04:59 PM - 09/23/10 »
lol. Glenn I'll buy your Lycosa. I kinda want one myself. :P But $80 is sorta kinda a little too high for me right now. XD

The M on the cover is supposed to let you know you need to be mature.

Offline CyberSzabo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08:08 PM - 09/23/10 »
I have the mirror edition of Lycosa, and I can tell you that you only need to plug in one of the USB connectors for the keyboard to work.  The other connector is just a pass through for the USB port on the Lycosa, so you don't need to plug it in if you don't use the port.  You also don't need to plug in the audio connectors if you don't plan on connecting a headset to the keyboard.  
beat me to it >.< But I loled when he said one was for the lights

Offline OctaNe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11:43 PM - 09/23/10 »
I have the mirror edition of Lycosa, and I can tell you that you only need to plug in one of the USB connectors for the keyboard to work.

beat me to it >.< But I loled when he said one was for the lights

So whats the actual purpose of the second USB cable on my keyboard then if i don't need it?

I have tried both cables 1 in at each time

One lights up keyboard, No Key response.

One gives key response, No lights on keyboard or power to the touch-pad.

Just saying i need both so i might keep one in my PC and one in the XIM :)

Offline Don

• MVP
  • Northern California
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
  • Gamertag: Donskii HD
« Reply #13 on: 12:20 AM - 09/24/10 »
I have a Razer Lycosa, and can use it with only one of the USBs plugged into my computer.  Not sure why it isn't working for you :/
Proud owner of a XIM3

Youtube.com/d0nskiii     Xfire: Galvaniz3d     Xbox: Donskii HD, vIIv Don

My Setup:
Mionix Naos 5000     Razer Lycosa     24" ASUS 1080p 5ms     PureTrak Talent     Black Magic Intensity Shuttle     250GB Xbox 360 Slim

Intel i7 930     6GB 1600Mhz RAM     2x 2TB Seagate 7200 RPM HDDs in RAID0     128GB Crucial SATA III SD     2 ASUS EAH6850s (Crossfire)     EVGA x58 FTW3

Offline Beholder87

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03:25 AM - 09/24/10 »
Actually, I own the Lycosa (typing this on it now). It only uses 1 USB port for the keyboard's functions, the second wire is a pass through cable to power the USB port on the edge of the keyboard (flip the keyboard so you can see where the cable comes out and then look at the right side, you have a microphone, headset and USB port up there). You can use the Lycosa perfectly fine with the connector that says PORT on one side not even plugged in. You only need to plug in the USB cable coming out of the keyboard that has the Razor symbol on one side. Lights and everything still work.

Admin