XIM Community

Amazing work! + Question.  (Read 2103 times)

Offline OctaNe

• View Profile
Amazing work! + Question.
« on: 02:56 AM - 09/20/10 »
If there was any way to congratulate you formally i would. OBsIV and your fellow workers the amount of time and and effort you have put into these devices is insane. But all i can do is Thank you. (And will most likely buy a product) :)

Anyway i was almost about to buy a XFPS, when i saw a "XFPS v XIM2" Video, and was like waaaaa?
so i watched it and was quite amazed, it depicted slow reaction times on the XFPS, and beyond Comparison software and movement actions with the XIM2. Which brought me here. To find your working on XIM3!!!!!!!!

1.So XIM3 Will be cheaper than XIM2 *Fingers Crossed*
2.XIM3 Will not require a computer, (Doesn't bother me i was happy to use a computer.) (XIM2 Software was simple and i had no dramas Except the fact i don't have the controller -_-)
3.And it works with Halo: Reach. (The only game in the world i would buy a console for.)
4.When its released....Pending....(I Cant play Console with that pathetic little thumb twiddler.)

Q.So my question is. "How does your XIM3 bypass Microsoft and its security. (If it has any) So it cannot be scouted out by their programmers and blocked in future."

I am a great player when it comes to computer games, and im a decent player on console.
BUT I WANT A KEYBOARD AND MOUSE FOR WHATEVER GAME I PLAY. YES! EVEN BOARD GAMES. :)

Thanks again. Your Hero's

Offline SuponjiBobu

• MVP
    • View Profile
Re: Amazing work! + Question.
« Reply #1 on: 06:15 AM - 09/20/10 »
To simply put it, the XIM3 disguises itself and is seen as a normal wired Xbox 360 controller.  There's no way they'll find out you're using one.  :)

Offline OctaNe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06:35 AM - 09/20/10 »
Roger!!!! T-UP

Offline Xenon

• MVP
  • Boo!
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Xenonshot
« Reply #3 on: 07:10 AM - 09/20/10 »
for xim3 your going to need a wired controller plugged when in use. there is no way for MS to differentiate xim3 from any of there own official controllers so blocking/banning xim3 is highly unlikely.
I rRrRR 133337Zorz

Offline Ding Chavez

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: DcIhNaGv3z
« Reply #4 on: 09:39 PM - 09/21/10 »
To simply put it, the XIM3 disguises itself and is seen as a normal wired Xbox 360 controller.  There's no way they'll find out you're using one.  :)

Disguised as it may be, XIM output does not behave like a controller.  The XIM sends an all-the-way on / off value for the triggers where analogue output should be.  The analogue triggers should not click on/off, but they do with XIM.  If a finger depressed the trigger, there would be a range of values.   In my opinion, this is a dead giveaway on who is using some kind of M&KB adapter.  A system update could easily spot this.

That said, I donít think MS really cares about XIM.  Truth is, I donít think we pose any threat to the quality of gaming.  XIM is not skill in a box and many XIMers are only marginally competitive at shooters.  I am sure we distribute nicely across the True Skill system.

Offline Chills

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09:54 PM - 09/21/10 »
IMHO, microsoft would have done something by now Irtysh wanted it banned. Look at this sight, the amount of people that openly say they use it on YouTube, etc. It's not exactly a secret. Although it is 3rd party software, they have better things to gripe about like hackers/cheaters. You know, the ones that actually ruin the game.

Offline Raging Mage

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10:21 PM - 09/21/10 »
Disguised as it may be, XIM output does not behave like a controller.  The XIM sends an all-the-way on / off value for the triggers where analogue output should be.  The analogue triggers should not click on/off, but they do with XIM.  If a finger depressed the trigger, there would be a range of values.   In my opinion, this is a dead giveaway on who is using some kind of M&KB adapter.  A system update could easily spot this.

This shouldn't be a concern. Controllers already exist on the market for Xbox 360 that return on/off signals for LT and RT (such as the MadCatz Street Fighter IV Fightpad). Microsoft has no problem with those, and you can probably still find them at your local Best Buy, GameStop, or other video game store.

Of course, that's just one example out of many peripherals with that type of LT/RT behavior, and no one will be using a SFIV Fightpad for FPS games anytime soon (you can't even control both LS and RS with it at the same time!). But the point is that on/off trigger behavior isn't unprecedented for Xbox 360, and it shouldn't set off any red flags by itself.

Offline lucky88

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12:14 AM - 09/22/10 »
if microsoft wanted it gone it will be gone. right now because there are so few of us i dont think microsoft cares. but that could change with xim3. if it becomes overly successful then it could spell doom. remember microsoft is still in the pc gaming market. i dont think fps pc gaming developers will appreciate taking their customer away from them. that is if it becomes that popular to get their attention.

Offline PhilAshio

• MVP
  • Troll in the Mist, 4fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03:31 AM - 09/22/10 »
if microsoft wanted it gone it will be gone. right now because there are so few of us i dont think microsoft cares. but that could change with xim3. if it becomes overly successful then it could spell doom. remember microsoft is still in the pc gaming market. i dont think fps pc gaming developers will appreciate taking their customer away from them. that is if it becomes that popular to get their attention.

Are there any PC exclusive FPS developers left? If I was an FPS publisher I wouldn't mind PC gamers switching to consoles. Developing for a bunch of different hardware is probably not too cheap. You can sell overpriced DLC for little content and you don't have to contend with Mods and TCs. PC gamers also tend to stick to games much longer than on consoles which means publishers have a harder time pushing new content. One thing I'm not sure about is which is harder and costlier to support with patches and anti-cheating measures, consoles or PCs?

Offline Amuro

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06:30 AM - 09/22/10 »

Are there any PC exclusive FPS developers left? If I was an FPS publisher I wouldn't mind PC gamers switching to consoles. Developing for a bunch of different hardware is probably not too cheap. You can sell overpriced DLC for little content and you don't have to contend with Mods and TCs. PC gamers also tend to stick to games much longer than on consoles which means publishers have a harder time pushing new content. One thing I'm not sure about is which is harder and costlier to support with patches and anti-cheating measures, consoles or PCs?

I only game on the consoles for the few exclusives like Halo, Killzone.  PC is and will always be my number one gaming platform.  Games almost always look so much better on the PC, and with Nvidia 3D Vision Surround they look even better.  Also, with dedicated servers, there's absolutely no downtime between matches, so an hour spent online is an hour spent playing.  God knows how many hours I wasted waiting at the lobby for 8 vs 8's in Halo.   There's just no freaking way that I'm ever gonna switch to consoles.

Offline rangerlee

• Rangers Lead the Way
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07:08 AM - 09/22/10 »
Pro's and cons, dedicated servers are a pro to the PC market, however hacks are a dime a dozen. Anyone with a spare 10 bucks or so a month can have the latest, punkbuster proof aimbot/wall hack out there.

Search youtube for hack or aimbot on any of the major FPS's out there and see what comes up. You can not go an hour with out at least one person with an aimbot being in your game.
"Scissors is overpowered, Rock is fine" - Paper

Offline PhilAshio

• MVP
  • Troll in the Mist, 4fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01:58 PM - 09/22/10 »

I only game on the consoles for the few exclusives like Halo, Killzone.  PC is and will always be my number one gaming platform.  Games almost always look so much better on the PC, and with Nvidia 3D Vision Surround they look even better.  Also, with dedicated servers, there's absolutely no downtime between matches, so an hour spent online is an hour spent playing.  God knows how many hours I wasted waiting at the lobby for 8 vs 8's in Halo.   There's just no freaking way that I'm ever gonna switch to consoles.

Yeah, that's all great and all but that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about the business. Every major FPS has been selling better on consoles in the past couple of years. I wouldn't be surprised if by next generation you're not going to have a choice between PC and console. Serious changes need to be made.

Offline Sick_Tight

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05:48 PM - 09/22/10 »
IMHO, microsoft would have done something by now Irtysh wanted it banned. Look at this sight, the amount of people that openly say they use it on YouTube, etc. It's not exactly a secret. Although it is 3rd party software, they have better things to gripe about like hackers/cheaters. You know, the ones that actually ruin the game.
True that, because if they want to call us hackers and cheaters, they can buy their own, if it's available to the public to get as well, then you can call us hackers. . We just don't like a controller in our hand, some people iPwn with them, me, well frankly I don't . .  I have a buddy that uses only controller and is just as good as me. .  So I believe it should just come down to preference. One day I'd like to see consoles have the ability to plug in a KB&M and or switch it to a controller based on the games you play and or how you want to play. . 

Offline technogiant

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12:04 AM - 09/23/10 »
Rather than banning it I wonder if MS would want to buy XiM3 and the associated technology from Obsiv or licence it in some way.
That way it could be redesigned to incorporate the security chip so no need for the wired controller, smart translators could be available via xbox live download for a price which would suit their microtransaction type model and you would have no need to ever plug the unit into a pc.
I think previous versions of xim would have been too complex for MS to consider with the use of the pc etc. Other products like XFPS are just too poor for MS to put their name to. But now with XiM3 the quality and simplicity are so good MS may well be interested.
I know that alternatively they could simply allow the use of mouse/keyboard directly on the xbox but then you would also need the game developers to impliment M/KB support in game, PS3 allows M/KB but I don't think many game developers actually impliment it.

Offline OctaNe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12:11 AM - 09/24/10 »
Im Quite curious to see what MS will do. With these guys working their butts off getting the XIM3 out with 0 faults a plug and play feature, and the price to an acceptable area.
MS may just whip up something of their own, and slap their name on it. To throw these guys out of the market.

Its a far fetched example, and most probably wont happen but im sure MS will, or if they haven't already found out about this, that they are going to try something.

But really the winners are the developers, Just finish it put the product out there and see the amount of attention you will get. I recon it will go to G4, E3, and all over the world.

I also found out the better you are at Texting (Mobile) the better you are at playing consoles, With all the Thumb twiddling. My mate games with his phone in front of him, gets a message, pics up his phone, replies, puts it down picks up the controller and still whoops my @#$%. Im [email protected]#$%?

But when it comes to PC i got suspended for 4 days on COD:MW2 on suspicion of "Malicious File Management". Bloody 10 year olds, they noob tube their way around the map then cry when they die. In the end after Valve scanned my Steam folder they were like...

"sorry for the inconvenience, you were selected as a random candidate for a new file browser your Steam folder is Free of Malicious software and your are free to play" Im [email protected]#$%!