XIM Community

From the controller to the mouse, my experience in PUBG  (Read 716 times)

Offline Money Mike

• View Profile
Hey guys, going to try to keep this going as a log for anyone thinking about getting the Apex and making the switch to M/KB for a console.

NOTE: I'm going to log this as IN-GAME HOURS, so that individuals can base how long my time frame may potentially align with theirs based on the time per day that they put into it.  I feel at this point much of the "set-up" had been done and now, just minor button mapping/sensitivity/poll rate (whatever that is) and DPI rate(???) need to be adjusted.  Time in this far is approximately 4 hours.

For the record:
Using a Logitech G502
Sony Nav joystick (instead of keyboard)

20 year console only player.  Have never even ATTEMPTED to play anything more than Solitaire on a PC.

INITIAL THOUGHTS:
Setup, though not necessarily "difficult" is definitely time consuming.  Between all the different settings for the mouse itself and all the different ways to map buttons in the Apex Manager App, its DEFINITELY not plug-n-play.  In fact I still think I'm missing something somewhere, as the mouse just doesn't "feel right"

Offline Jkitchen5

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: I KitcheN I
Re: From the controller to the mouse, my experience in PUBG
« Reply #1 on: 07:08 PM - 03/13/18 »
I just posted something similar to this regarding the Apex and PUBG. I am also using the G502 and have been a console player most my life. First thing about the G502.... I do not like the free spinning wheel at all.

Now that I got that out of the way, I think the apex would be better used with games that are not as intricate as PUBG, now I have only tried the apex with PUBG and just posted to find a better way to loot/attach/drop and use consumables something that is very difficult with this translation. The Xim itself seems to be very responsive, it just seems a littler overwhelming to me coming from a Controller for so many years, to have to set up the Xim get the manager and individualize each game.

Offline singlecoilpickup

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: CoilTap
  • PSN ID: singlecoilpickup
« Reply #2 on: 07:14 PM - 03/13/18 »
First thing about the G502.... I do not like the free spinning wheel at all.
Then press the button right below it and it changes to a normal Logitech wheel.

Now that I got that out of the way, I think the apex would be better used with games that are not as intricate as PUBG, now I have only tried the apex with PUBG and just posted to find a better way to loot/attach/drop and use consumables something that is very difficult with this translation. The Xim itself seems to be very responsive, it just seems a littler overwhelming to me coming from a Controller for so many years, to have to set up the Xim get the manager and individualize each game.

The problem with PUBG isn't intricacy. The problem with PUBG is that it has a horrible look mechanic with time-based acceleration.
Xbox One / PC
XIM Apex / Logitech G Pro Keyboard / Logitech G900
Astro MixAmp Pro TR / Sennheiser HD598 / Blue Yeti Mic

Offline Money Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07:25 PM - 03/13/18 »
1 HOUR IN-GAME:
This feels very foreign to me.  I imagine this is what it feels like for my wife when I hand her the controller and jokingly tell her to "keep me alive" while I go use the bathroom or take a business call. 
With the Sony Nav in my left hand vs a keyboard, I just want to put it down and hold my controller in the left hand, and still may.  Being used to the group angle on the xB, I often find myself running at an angle and activating a button in the D-pad just feels wrong.
The moose and buttons on it don't yet feel at home.  I wish I had the words to describe what using the mouse feels like other than "complicated".  At 1 hour in, I am thoroughly frustrated.  Every single action that is genuinely instinctual, takes 3-10 seconds of thought and remembrance to perform...
For example, normally when going into a room, I just pop my menu, grab what I want, close the door and I'm ghost.  Right now i:
1. Press this button to open the door.
2. Nope, wrong button
3. This button?
4. Great, now walk in.
5. No, straight in.
6. Walk over to the pile of stuff on the floor
7. Push the inventory button
8. Ok pick up the bullets
9.  WHY IS IT ASKING HOW MANY!?!
10.  back out of that,
11 no not the whole thing, just it asking how many bullets
12 no get up off the floor
13 open the stupid menu
14 pick up the bullets
15.  Great, now mount that red Dot
16 clock up to mount it to the rifle and not the ump
I'm going to end this here as I think you guys are getting the point.

Each time I try to loot, I end up getting hit by the blue.

AGAIN, THIS IS HOUR 1.   I am in NO WAY complaining about the product (yet) just speaking to my difficulty (which I expect to overcome) adjusting to a mouse from a controller.

Offline demoreo21

• Destiny 2 is not trash.
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: demoreo21
« Reply #4 on: 08:14 PM - 03/13/18 »
1 HOUR IN-GAME:
This feels very foreign to me.  I imagine this is what it feels like for my wife when I hand her the controller and jokingly tell her to "keep me alive" while I go use the bathroom or take a business call. 
With the Sony Nav in my left hand vs a keyboard, I just want to put it down and hold my controller in the left hand, and still may.  Being used to the group angle on the xB, I often find myself running at an angle and activating a button in the D-pad just feels wrong.
The moose and buttons on it don't yet feel at home.  I wish I had the words to describe what using the mouse feels like other than "complicated".  At 1 hour in, I am thoroughly frustrated.  Every single action that is genuinely instinctual, takes 3-10 seconds of thought and remembrance to perform...
For example, normally when going into a room, I just pop my menu, grab what I want, close the door and I'm ghost.  Right now i:
2. Nope, wrong button
3. This button?
4. Great, now walk in.
5. No, straight in.
10.  back out of that,
13 open the stupid menu
14 pick up the bullets

AGAIN, THIS IS HOUR 1.   I am in NO WAY complaining about the product (yet) just speaking to my difficulty (which I expect to overcome) adjusting to a mouse from a controller.

This is completely natural for EVERY game. I have pc gamed my whole life (just recently switched partially to xbox), and besides my fingers natural falling on wasd for movement, R for reload, and SHIFT for sprint, every other in game concept takes a couple hours to fully get into memory.

A good thing i most love about keyboard though is that you can map anything to any key. So of you get used to your most efficient setup, you will no joke be 5x more efficient than you have EVER been on a controller. Thats that.

Offline artryt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10:25 PM - 03/13/18 »
Learning anything new is always going to take time, I'm just learning fortnite with a joy con and mouse :o I was aware of this learning curve as I previously used a xim3 but I personally think it's worth the effort for the precision a mouse gives with fps games.

My first impression on fortnite was just wow this is good and that's with my old mouse and a game that I have read more bad than good things with regards to mouse adapters. I'm going to get cod ww2 just to see how it feels because it must be amazing going by the reports.

I too will be loading up pubg and wrestling with the settings at some point, I will report back my experience.

Offline Jamesbone

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Jamesbonebruh
  • PSN ID: Jamesbonebruh
« Reply #6 on: 10:51 PM - 03/13/18 »
20 years on console you must be a beast with a controller? Why the sudden switch?
I have a friend who's an absolute beast on FPS games with a controller

Offline Umby18

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11:20 PM - 03/13/18 »
I'm 4 hrs in playing fortnite. My aiming and shooting is significantly better than compared to being 20hrs in on the console. Every other action using the keyboard is significantly worse. I expected I would be this worse on keyboard. The ability to aim with mouse is better than I expected. Long-term, once I get the keyboard down, I think this will work out well. Apex is an amazing little device.

Offline Money Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11:46 PM - 03/13/18 »
20 years on console you must be a beast with a controller? Why the sudden switch?
I have a friend who's an absolute beast on FPS games with a controller

Not pro-level or anything, but I'm usually top of the end-of-game lobby leaderboard.  I see people online complaining about how a mouse is an "unfair advantage".  Well... I'm a combat vet, so I'm all about having an unfair advantage, thought I'd give it a shot.  I figure worst case scenario, I'll just sell the Apex, G502, Sony  Nav and hard gaming pad already configured as a "Starter Package" lol.

Offline PixelSquish

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: TahiniMeanie
« Reply #9 on: 11:47 PM - 03/13/18 »
1 HOUR IN-GAME:
2. Nope, wrong button
3. This button?
4. Great, now walk in.
5. No, straight in.
10.  back out of that,
13 open the stupid menu
14 pick up the bullets

This is completely natural for EVERY game. I have pc gamed my whole life (just recently switched partially to xbox), and besides my fingers natural falling on wasd for movement, R for reload, and SHIFT for sprint, every other in game concept takes a couple hours to fully get into memory.

A good thing i most love about keyboard though is that you can map anything to any key. So of you get used to your most efficient setup, you will no joke be 5x more efficient than you have EVER been on a controller. Thats that.

Pretty much this.

I'm used to a few more keys that I always use in FPS - SHIFT for sprint, LCTRL for crouch, R for grenade, RMB for melee, FORWARDMB for reload, BACKMB for ADS - then just gotta memorize a few more key binds with some hours of gameplay and boom, you are good to go.

I adapted to Titanfall 2 and Destiny 2 from playing only BF games for years in no time keeping most of my config the same when moving to the APEX on the m/kb.

Offline Money Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11:52 PM - 03/13/18 »
The ability to aim with mouse is better than I expected.

Awesome, I'm REALLY hoping this will be be my experience as well.

Offline PixelSquish

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: TahiniMeanie
« Reply #11 on: 12:08 AM - 03/14/18 »
The ability to aim with mouse is better than I expected.

Awesome, I'm REALLY hoping this will be be my experience as well.

it will be if you stick with it. it's undeniably a superior interface for aiming vs a controller. when i mention the xim on a tech forum i post on there are folks who are enthused with it and some that aren't - but everyone agrees that it is superior to use a m/kb for a lot of games especially fps. then the discussion turns to whether it is cheating or not invariably.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02:43 AM - 03/14/18 »
4 hours into the transition is nothing, it'll take weeks for muscle memory to kick in. During that time, it'll be very tempting to walk back down the easy path. Stick with it, it'll be rewarding in the end.

Offline Money Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01:12 PM - 03/14/18 »
it'll be very tempting to walk back down the easy path. Stick with it, it'll be rewarding in the end.

Yeah I'm seeing that.

2 HOURS IN-GAME:
As antithesis stated, it is so tempting to pick up my controller, and at times I do.  Last night I got on with my buddies and picked it up, and it felt so right.  Everything was where it should've been and I played very well.  Even ended up with as nice 1v3 video capture. 
I plan on putting 3-6 hours into the mouse today.  I've been playing with the sensitivity settings and it almost seems like I have them right, but now it's a little jittery.

Settings:
12000 DPI
Poll maxed (forgot what that number is)
Response rate 250hz
Hip: 500
ADS: 160

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06:08 PM - 03/14/18 »

500 HIP sens at 12K DPI is way too high. I understand the desire for fast turning, but as soon as the Apex is flashing red, everything beyond that point is wasted and will likely cause control issues, like jitter.

Try dropping the mouse DPI down to 8000, or even 4000 DPI and setting the Apex polling rate to 500Hz. That should resolve the jitter if it's due to the mouse sensor. Also, Smoothing is intended to reduce jitter, but may introduce floatiness.

The new EX0 firmware build is also worth testing and may fix the jitter even at Smoothing of 0. Sensitivity values will drop through the floor and should be in the range of 5-10 at 12K DPI. It'll be higher at 8K and 4K, but should still be`less than 30.
« Last Edit: 06:52 PM - 03/14/18 by antithesis »