XIM Community

Active Topics link  (Read 3414 times)

Offline Ding Chavez

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: DcIhNaGv3z
Active Topics link
« on: 10:00 AM - 06/24/08 »
An Active Topics link at the top to list out the active threads regardless of what board it is on.

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
  • Xim360 Tester. All Hail Xim360!
    • View Profile
Re: Active Topics link
« Reply #1 on: 10:51 AM - 06/24/08 »
I was thinking about this too, would be nice to just hit the link and hit what's new without sifting through everything.

You and I are on the same page!
Happy Xim360 tester (former)

Gamertag ii TR00F ii
That's 2 i's a space a TR then 2 zero's an F then a space then 2 more i's.

Offline OMGsus

• Administrator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: OMGsus
  • PSN ID: OMGsus
« Reply #2 on: 11:23 AM - 06/24/08 »
An Active Topics link at the top to list out the active threads regardless of what board it is on.

does this not cut it?

http://xim3.com/community/index.php?action=unread

or

http://xim3.com/community/index.php?action=unread;all;start=0

These are links in the user bar above so I assume you've seen them.

If those don't cut it I assume by "active" you mean stuff that's being posted on or looked at during your session? The two links above still somewhat give you this functionality. If you have an example of what you want just link it. If it cant be done in SMF by default, I will emulate it to the best of my abilities ;D

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
  • Xim360 Tester. All Hail Xim360!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12:43 PM - 06/24/08 »
Oh! That works, I guess I need to open my peepers  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Happy Xim360 tester (former)

Gamertag ii TR00F ii
That's 2 i's a space a TR then 2 zero's an F then a space then 2 more i's.

Offline Ding Chavez

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02:23 PM - 06/24/08 »
If those don't cut it I assume by "active" you mean stuff that's being posted on or looked at during your session? The two links above still somewhat give you this functionality. If you have an example of what you want just link it. If it cant be done in SMF by default, I will emulate it to the best of my abilities ;D

Not exactly.

Basically just a top 10 list of threads with the most recent posts.

For example, when I submit this post, this thread will be bumped to the top of the Suggestions board and would also be at the top of the active topics board.  Subsequently if someone later posts on the 360 General discussion board, that post will be at the top of that board and also be at the Active topics list.

The active topics list simply shows (and links to) the top 10 most recent posts/threads regardless of the board.

It is not a critical site feature, it is just something I have seen and use often on other forums.

Offline OMGsus

• Administrator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02:49 PM - 06/24/08 »

Not exactly.

Basically just a top 10 list of threads with the most recent posts.

For example, when I submit this post, this thread will be bumped to the top of the Suggestions board and would also be at the top of the active topics board.  Subsequently if someone later posts on the 360 General discussion board, that post will be at the top of that board and also be at the Active topics list.

The active topics list simply shows (and links to) the top 10 most recent posts/threads regardless of the board.

It is not a critical site feature, it is just something I have seen and use often on other forums.

I know the db query to use, but I'm not sure if SMF has that function by default... I'll find out. Wish me luck :)

Offline Ding Chavez

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03:48 PM - 06/24/08 »
Good luck!  If it works, don’t forget to lock new thread creation for the Active Topics board.  It should serve only as a link-to board populated with the recent posts/threads from other boards.

Offline OMGsus

• Administrator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12:54 AM - 06/25/08 »
Good luck!  If it works, don’t forget to lock new thread creation for the Active Topics board.  It should serve only as a link-to board populated with the recent posts/threads from other boards.

This should be what you looking for. A block was added to the front page by default but It was too much work to make it look right. Besides, Derek saw it too and almost puked. Either way, this link will be added somewhere and should serve your purpose.

http://xim3.com/community/index.php?action=recenttopics

Offline Ding Chavez

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11:44 AM - 06/25/08 »
A block was added to the front page by default but It was too much work to make it look right. Besides, Derek saw it too and almost puked.
I agree, I saw it too and it didn’t look right.

Either way, this link will be added somewhere and should serve your purpose.

http://xim3.com/community/index.php?action=recenttopics

Yes, this is actually exactly what I have seen on other sites!  Nice work!  Sorry if the request required a lot of work, it is just something I have seen on other forums and I personally find it very useful.

Offline Ding Chavez

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02:00 PM - 06/27/08 »
Can we place this Active/Recent Topics Link between the “show unread posts since last visit” link and the Search Bar?  It just seems like a natural spot for it.

Admin