XIM Community

Xim Apex hub cable length  (Read 2676 times)

Offline Catacomb

• View Profile
Xim Apex hub cable length
« on: 06:04 PM - 03/07/18 »
Hello, my Apex is supposed to arrive on Monday, but the short cable length of the hub got me a little worried, is it somehow possible to  extend the cable length with an extension cable, if yes could someone explain to me which type of cable is needed for that?

Offline Maxxgold

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Maxxgold
  • PSN ID: Maxxgold
Re: Xim Apex hub cable length
« Reply #1 on: 06:07 PM - 03/07/18 »
Everything can be extended. I find the cable to be perfect, but if you want a longer cable you are more than able to buy one.
[Instructional Videos]
http://xim.tech/instructional-videos/

[HOW TO FIND YOUR PERFECT XIM SENSITIVITY]
http://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=60845.0

[Xim Apex Manager & Firmware]
http://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=60725.0

[Console Controller Crossover]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_X_ntzv_zc

(My Current Setup)
-Xim Apex
-G502 set @ 1000Hz Polling and 12,000DPI
-Sony Navigation Controller
-Razer Black Widow Stealth V1 Keyboard (used sparingly)

Offline NesQuik

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06:08 PM - 03/07/18 »
Usb 2.0 cable thats for sure. But im wondering if extending the hub wont affect the quality?? Lag, delay and so on. Anyone with knowledge on that please comment.

Offline sphinx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06:41 PM - 03/07/18 »
"Well here we are looking at the signal, the electromagnetic waves moving from one end of the cable to the other (this is different from the actual electrons moving through the wire, that is very slow). In a vacuum this happens at the speed of light, but in a material it is lower based on the dielectric constant of the material.

So lets say the wire is made of copper and the extension cable is 3 meters long. We'll use round numbers and say the copper's dielectric constant is 3.0.

Speed of light, c = 3x10^8 m/s

Speed of signal in the copper wire = c/3 = 1x10^8 m/s

now the wire is 3m long so the time it takes for the signal to travel through it = (3 m)/(1x10^8 m/s) = 3x10^-8 s

So your input delay is extended by 0.00000008 seconds.

I think you'll be okay. The computer probably takes more time to figure out what to do with the signal and send the event to your game's application."
Logitech G502 | 12,000 DPI | 1,000 Polling

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06:42 PM - 03/07/18 »
I recommend picking up an extension that is 12' or less to avoid power issues, voltage will drop as the length of the cable increases. This occurs as you approach 15' so 12' or less should be fine.
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline GameCypher

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06:46 PM - 03/07/18 »
Usb 2.0 cable thats for sure. But im wondering if extending the hub wont affect the quality?? Lag, delay and so on. Anyone with knowledge on that please comment.

Well i am sure there will be a difference but will it be noticeable is the question cause i know you will get noise if its next to other electronics.

Offline GameCypher

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06:49 PM - 03/07/18 »
You might be better off buying your own powered hub with longer cable just a thought. I am thinking about doing that tbh the cable is to short imo.

Offline Catacomb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03:03 AM - 03/08/18 »
I recommend picking up an extension that is 12' or less to avoid power issues, voltage will drop as the length of the cable increases. This occurs as you approach 15' so 12' or less should be fine.
.  Sorry for the stupid question but do you mean 12 inches? I would need an 1meter extension cable which is a no go then, would a powered hub with that length have the same issues?

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #8 on: 03:17 AM - 03/08/18 »
"Well here we are looking at the signal, the electromagnetic waves moving from one end of the cable to the other (this is different from the actual electrons moving through the wire, that is very slow). In a vacuum this happens at the speed of light, but in a material it is lower based on the dielectric constant of the material.

So lets say the wire is made of copper and the extension cable is 3 meters long. We'll use round numbers and say the copper's dielectric constant is 3.0.

Speed of light, c = 3x10^8 m/s

Speed of signal in the copper wire = c/3 = 1x10^8 m/s

now the wire is 3m long so the time it takes for the signal to travel through it = (3 m)/(1x10^8 m/s) = 3x10^-8 s

So your input delay is extended by 0.00000008 seconds.

I think you'll be okay. The computer probably takes more time to figure out what to do with the signal and send the event to your game's application."
Love it!

I've always wanted a better explanation than "it's infinitesimally small and you won't notice it" :)

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #9 on: 03:18 AM - 03/08/18 »
.  Sorry for the stupid question but do you mean 12 inches? I would need an 1meter extension cable which is a no go then, would a powered hub with that length have the same issues?
That'd be 12 foot (12'), not 12 inches (12").

You'll be fine, just avoid USB cable runs of more than 5 metres whenever possible.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline Catacomb

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03:44 AM - 03/08/18 »
That'd be 12 foot (12'), not 12 inches (12").

You'll be fine, just avoid USB cable runs of more than 5 metres whenever possible.
Well now it makes sense, could facepalm my self.....    Thanks for the help guys

Offline Noquarter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05:46 AM - 03/08/18 »

I am using 2x 3M USB extension cables.  One attached to the PS4 itself to extend the Apex to my desk and then another from the Apex for my mouse to prevent trailing wires across my desk.  No issues at all so far.

Admin