XIM Community

Confusion with XIM 2 Wired controller setup  (Read 1747 times)

Offline Killatactiks

• View Profile
Confusion with XIM 2 Wired controller setup
« on: 01:35 PM - 06/23/08 »
I was reading one of the topics in general discussion about the wired controller connectivity with XIM 2 and became confused with the concept of how the controller uses two usb port connections to bypass the xbox 360 security settings.  Is there any way i can see a picture of the finished product so i can understand what people are describing.  Some questions that come to mind considering my misunderstanding.  Do i have to mod my wired controller im currently using in order to use XIM 2?  Do i have to buy a XIM 2 unit with another premodded controller in order to use the product, or can i use one of my current wired contollers.  Any clear explanations to this would be great, but being a visual person, i would prefer a picture if possible.  Thanks for all that you do to make the mouse and keyboard a possibility for a great gaming console!  It is much appreciated. 

Offline OMGsus

• Administrator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: OMGsus
  • PSN ID: OMGsus
Re: Confusion with XIM 2 Wired controller setup
« Reply #1 on: 01:56 PM - 06/23/08 »
I was reading one of the topics in general discussion about the wired controller connectivity with XIM 2 and became confused with the concept of how the controller uses two usb port connections to bypass the xbox 360 security settings.  Is there any way i can see a picture of the finished product so i can understand what people are describing.  Some questions that come to mind considering my misunderstanding.  Do i have to mod my wired controller im currently using in order to use XIM 2?  Do i have to buy a XIM 2 unit with another premodded controller in order to use the product, or can i use one of my current wired contollers.  Any clear explanations to this would be great, but being a visual person, i would prefer a picture if possible.  Thanks for all that you do to make the mouse and keyboard a possibility for a great gaming console!  It is much appreciated. 
I'm working on the graphics for this for the main site as we speak... That's so funny.

In the meantime...
[PC] <-usb-> [xim2] --interconnect-> [360 controller] <-usb-> [xbox 360]

The XIM2 hardware is small enough to fit inside the 360 controller so you will end up with a normal looking controller save for the extra male usb cords coming out of it.

You will have the choice of buying a DIY kit and using your own controller or buying the full product that includes the controller.
« Last Edit: 01:58 PM - 06/23/08 by OMGsus »

Offline Killatactiks

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02:17 PM - 06/23/08 »
Wow i was unaware that the XIM 2 chip was that small.  This is an interesting concept. Do you think that fitting this inside the controller makes it susceptible to failure after significant ammounts of use?

Offline OMGsus

• Administrator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02:38 PM - 06/23/08 »
Wow i was unaware that the XIM 2 chip was that small.  This is an interesting concept. Do you think that fitting this inside the controller makes it susceptible to failure after significant ammounts of use?
This is what beta testing is for ;D  ...but no, so far this is not a major concern. There are no complex operations running on the controller itself so more intense usage shouldn't generate any more heat than light or normal usage.

Offline derektm

• View Profile
    • Derektm.com
« Reply #4 on: 03:11 PM - 06/23/08 »

If you want to mod your own controller, you may buy the diy kit. Keep in mind its 28 wires total, most being 30awg.

The XIM 2 board is 32mm squared. It is very small. Why would you think it'd fail after significant use? I don't know of many microcontrollers that aren't used in small spaces.

-Derek

Offline Memento_Mori

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03:44 PM - 06/23/08 »
I assume he refers to the solded wires that might detach due to classic use of the gamepad (moved, rotated, smashed on the table to expel the rage, etc...)

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
  • Xim360 Tester. All Hail Xim360!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04:24 PM - 06/23/08 »
I assume he refers to the solded wires that might detach due to classic use of the gamepad (moved, rotated, smashed on the table to expel the rage, etc...)

Non conductive silicone glue over solder points along with a firm mounting of the board will ensure it won't go anywhere. Now if you dropped it off a very tall building, then I don't know. That would be a great test though

"Superman Proof!" - Falls off buildings in a single bound and survives.

Happy Xim360 tester (former)

Gamertag ii TR00F ii
That's 2 i's a space a TR then 2 zero's an F then a space then 2 more i's.

Offline Killatactiks

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08:09 PM - 06/26/08 »
microchips can fail. What about the graphics micro processing chip inside the xbox 360?  I've had at 7 already die from the RROD!  Thats the only reason i was asking about the chip overheating in a small place.

Offline OMGsus

• Administrator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09:14 PM - 06/26/08 »
microchips can fail. What about the graphics micro processing chip inside the xbox 360?  I've had at 7 already die from the RROD!  Thats the only reason i was asking about the chip overheating in a small place.

It's a valid concern but the chip on the XIM 2 isn't doing any heavy lifting. All the heavy lifting and calculations are done on your PC. And this "heavy lifting" is mini-cake for a Desktop.

Offline derektm

• View Profile
    • Derektm.com
« Reply #9 on: 03:49 AM - 06/27/08 »

The Xbox GPU is not a microcontroller, and no, microcontrollers usually do not fail. This is what they are designed for and they output virtually no heat at all.

-Derek

Offline hak

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07:08 AM - 06/27/08 »

please do a bit more research on RROD, chips dont die easily but the things that hold them down do, like the x-clamps on the heatsink. The console registers 3 red lights indicating some internal components has failed, doesn't neccessarily mean the chip has fried.

Offline OMGsus

• Administrator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02:20 PM - 06/27/08 »

please do a bit more research on RROD, chips dont die easily but the things that hold them down do, like the x-clamps on the heatsink. The console registers 3 red lights indicating some internal components has failed, doesn't neccessarily mean the chip has fried.

Exactly, The issue that the towel and x-clamp fixes is from the chip not being cooled properly and the heat generated actually stresses the solder joints and components that hold them down. XIM and XIM2 are components that do not generate nearly enough heat to even start to think about failure via heat or insufficient dissipation. Some people claim the gpu on earlier system got hot enough to separate the pads on the board, which is why modding the clamp fixed the issue since it effectively just jammed the chip back into its pads. My point I'm trying to get at is that all the issues that cause rrod have to do with excessive heat, and heat will not be an issue with XIM or XIM2. At least no where near the scale of a processor running at 3.2 GHz or a GPU running at 500MHz.