XIM Community

Any recommendations?  (Read 473 times)

Offline ReusCrispies

• View Profile
Any recommendations?
« on: 04:02 AM - 02/27/18 »
I understand how a mouse can give an advantage over a controller but I canít seem to understand how a keyboard does, if anyone could clearly explain how a keyboard is better and maybe recommend a decent keyboard for me as Iím new to kB/m, so far Iím looking at a Logitech g502 mouse, but canít decide between a Nav controller or mechanical keyboard

Offline GitGud

• MVP
  • THE PUBG GOD
    • View Profile
Re: Any recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: 04:38 AM - 02/27/18 »
I would say it's personal preference. I myself prefer keyboard because that's what I played all my life and I find it easier to lean using a keyboard. You also gotta consider if you use the Nav that you will need to map some functions to your mouse. I prefer doing most my stuff on the keyboard personally.
My Current Setup + CouchMaster Review | PUBG Config | Warface Config | XIM Apex | Xbox One X |
SteelSeries Rival 600 | SteelSeries Dex | SteelSeries Apex M500 | SteelSeries Siberia 800 | Turtle Beach Stream Mic | 27' iiyama G-Master | CouchMaster Cycon

Offline ReusCrispies

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07:42 AM - 02/27/18 »
Ok thanks, I might just try to get used to a keyboard

Offline alanmcgregor

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10:36 AM - 02/27/18 »
I understand how a mouse can give an advantage over a controller but I can’t seem to understand how a keyboard does, if anyone could clearly explain how a keyboard is better and maybe recommend a decent keyboard for me as I’m new to kB/m, so far I’m looking at a Logitech g502 mouse, but can’t decide between a Nav controller or mechanical keyboard

Ok, so I understand you are used to play with a controller, right?. If you analyse how you hold a controller, mainly you are using your thumbs and four fingers (index, middle). The advantage of having a control like scuffs are the paddles that allows you to use your ring finger, so in a game you can jump and move at the same time... because your thumb doesnt need to leave the stick to press A or X to jump right?... in a FPS game... in a gun fight how difficult to hit a target that is strafing, jumping and shooting at you at the same time?.

Well now that's how a keyboard is and advantage... having more buttons(actions, items, abilities) at the reach of your fingers. Use WASD for movement, and close keys for items.

The next step up will be having a dedicated fingers of movements (don't leave the movements keys) and another ones for items, and this is where a keypad is and advantage over a keyboard.

You can, have a thumb for movement using a stick like on the G13 (like a console) and the rest of your fingers for keys with actions or abilities, or you can use WASD(ring, middle, index fingers) for movements and a digital four direction stick like Orbweaver in your thumb for use abilities assign to each direction.

The thumb is the stronger phalange on human hand and the fastest brain connection, our fingers can be faster but need to be trained (I mean look a violinist, pianist)

TL;TR: keyboard gives you more buttons more actions, more efficient, faster reaction times be able to do more things it will be even better if you have a dedicated control for movement and others for items (keypad.)

Offline ReusCrispies

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10:45 AM - 02/27/18 »
Ok thanks for the reply, I guess the pain of dying over and over till I get the hang of a keyboard/keypad might be worth it in the long run

Offline alanmcgregor

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10:47 AM - 02/27/18 »
I used to play with a WASD scheme (keypad). I injured my hand recently can't use keypad temporarily... so I switch to Nav, change my Ventus R (5 buttons) for G402 (6 buttons), I used to play with nav for campaign 3rd person, platforms and driving games so I can do both, I play with a keypad for FPS fast phase games... now I'm playing FPS with Nav I can notice I'm faster with the keypad, my reaction times are shorter but my hand and wrist are way more comfortable with the nav... my thumb gets tired though, it's personal preference at the end.
« Last Edit: 10:53 AM - 02/27/18 by alanmcgregor »

Offline alanmcgregor

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10:50 AM - 02/27/18 »
Ok thanks for the reply, I guess the pain of dying over and over till I get the hang of a keyboard/keypad might be worth it in the long run

Yeah is like an instrument, give it time... you are creating patterns on your brain. It will become second nature.

Offline Peek_a_Boo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02:06 PM - 02/27/18 »
If you are new, I suggest learn on a mechanical keyboard. Took me about 2 weeks to get good.... I got tired of dying. A friend recommended playing fast paced shooters such as COD, BF1 or Titan Fall to learn quick. I use a Corsair Strafe Mechanical board and a Gpro mouse.

Offline ReusCrispies

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02:13 PM - 02/27/18 »
Do u know any decent mechanical keyboard which arenít to expensive, around £60/70 or less? I wonít be typing on it at all, just mainly Fortnite and probably the new COD when it comes out.

Offline sncjez

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03:09 PM - 02/27/18 »
Do u know any decent mechanical keyboard which arenít to expensive, around £60/70 or less? I wonít be typing on it at all, just mainly Fortnite and probably the new COD when it comes out.

Corsair K63 Mechanical Keyboard is 69.99 on amazon uk.

Offline wicked96ta

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05:32 PM - 02/27/18 »

As much as I love them, you don't NEED a mech keyboard. If you've never played with a KB before check out the Logitech G13, it has an analog stick, or look for a Sony PlayStation Nav controller.
Xbox One X
XIM Apex
Logitech G502 12k DPI @ 1000Hz
Koolertron Gateron Black Switches
Zowie P-SR
Acer GN246HL
Astro Mixamp (first gen)
Sennheiser PC37X

Offline GuNStArHeRo

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Subscribe
  • Gamertag: x GuNStArHeRo
  • PSN ID: GuNStAr-HeRo-
« Reply #11 on: 09:42 AM - 02/28/18 »
the only advantage a keyboard can give i more button placements. no real big advantage there. just invest in a good mouse and you'll be ok.
XIM: 3/Edge/4/Apex | Titan: One/Two | XiM Link | PC: i7700k 1080ti ftw3 | M: Console: G502 - PC: fianlnouse Cape Town UL2 | KB: by the day and mood (60% to 65%) | Mouse Pad: by the day and mood (X-Large) | Audio/Mic: GoXLR | PC Mic: Shure SM7B | Monitor: 24" BenQ Zowie xl2436