XIM Community

Poll

Assuming that you have experience in FPS games with controller and with XIM(any model), how would you describe your performance improvement when using XIM

0% no improvement at all
4 (12.9%)
up to 25%
4 (12.9%)
up to 50%
3 (9.7%)
up to 100%
5 (16.1%)
more than 100%
15 (48.4%)

Total Members Voted: 31

XIM and player performance  (Read 2161 times)

Offline nikiangel

• View Profile
XIM and player performance
« on: 06:12 AM - 01/15/18 »
Just answer how do you feel the switch to XIM, or if you want to be more specific:
25% improvement means that if you enter a 10 vs 10 PVP arena and you are usually making around 10 000 points score per run with controller, with XIM you go around 12 500

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Re: XIM and player performance
« Reply #1 on: 06:51 AM - 01/15/18 »
It's an odd question that is largely irrelevant to Apex. There are only about 10 of them out in the wild, so your sample set of those who have used an Apex is really, really small.

I play poorly with a controller and well with m/kb via a Xim. Xim Apex performs better than a Xim4. That's really all there is to it.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline nikiangel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07:09 AM - 01/15/18 »
It's an odd question that is largely irrelevant to Apex. There are only about 10 of them out in the wild, so your sample set of those who have used an Apex is really, really small.

I play poorly with a controller and well with m/kb via a Xim. Xim Apex performs better than a Xim4. That's really all there is to it.
For me (as a new member going to buy XIM (Apex)), it's a relevant question and I'm looking forward to see the voting results.
I know there are very small amount of Apex devices out there, that's why I didn't mention Apex in the question, I'm asking about XIM in general.
I will really appreciate if you vote and help me (and the other new customers) get a better understanding what should we expect in general by switching to XIM.

Xim Apex performs better than a Xim4.
I acknowledge this, and if you express a mathematical value (like Apex performs ~x% better than XIM4) based on the example I provided above, I will also take this.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #3 on: 07:33 AM - 01/15/18 »
There are so many factors that go into scores, KDRs etc that have nothing to do with controls that it makes the question impossible to answer as it is asked. So I can't provide a quantifiable percentage improvement, I just know that I'm far better using a Xim than not and that Apex is the best iteration of Xim to date.

If you want a tangible stat - Apex is more accurate by a factor of 8 over a Xim4, based solely on the polling rate. That doesn't mean my KDR jumps from 1 to 8, it simply means that I'm going to be noticeably more accurate at aiming & hitting my target at 250, 500 or 1000Hz with an Apex than a Xim4 at 125Hz.

That difference could come down to a frame of rendering time and make exactly zero difference to my performance other than feeling more in control of my aim, which is kinda the entire point of using a mouse on console. My performance increase may simply be that I'm better able to push with confidence than hang back and camp and have no bearing on my final score.

Others may feel differently, but I personally don't have an answer to it. To me, it's like asking how much in percentage I prefer the colour red over blue, or cereal over toast... I prefer a mouse over a controller because that's what I like to use.

I'm an old school PC gamer who can't hit the side of a barn with a controller but can snipe the head off an ant with a mouse. So based on my experience, I'm infinitely better using a Xim than a controller. But my response is completely irrelevant to someone who has used a controller expertly for all of their life.

The simple answer is thanks to 1K polling and smoothing, Apex is better than any other console m/kb adapter, including Xim4. You will feel more in control, Aim Assist will be less of an issue and more bullets will land, as long as your aim is true. But, that doesn't mean your end-game score or KDR will improve, you'll just feel more confident in your aim and fight less with a game engine for control.
« Last Edit: 07:41 AM - 01/15/18 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad

Offline Zen

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08:00 AM - 01/15/18 »
When I switched it was on black ops one. I don't remember all my stats but k.d stayed at 4.8. however I'm much more comfortable on mouse and keyboard. I've not touched a controller since that day. Not even for an sp game. For the lols I tried some mp recently with the pad and it was like I was using two cucumbers to control the sticks. Literally zero control. Haha

Offline nikiangel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08:08 AM - 01/15/18 »
To me, it's like asking how much in percentage I prefer the colour red over blue, or cereal over toast...

I believe that I very well explained what I'm asking and what's behind these %.
I know that everyone is unique, but we are all gamers, and there is something called Gaussian distribution, so if from 100 gamers 90% reply that they are more than doubling their scores in FPS when they switch from controller to XIM (ater couple of weeks of use ofc.), there is a very good chance that I will be in these 90% as well.
And don't get me wrong, I want to see good results here (but more than that I want to see honest answers).

« Last Edit: 08:19 AM - 01/15/18 by nikiangel »

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #6 on: 03:43 PM - 01/15/18 »
The problem is using a Xim isn't quantitative, it's qualitative. The quality of the experience far surpasses gamepads due to the higher degree of control when aiming with a mouse. That's if you're good with a mouse. If not, it may not help at all.

That said, there are many examples of controller users swapping to Xim and improving their gameplay. This is by virtue of a mouse being a better tool for the job in shooting games, just as a steering wheel is better for driving games and an arcade stick is better for fighting games.

Performance should naturally improve by using more intuitive controls, but it's still more likely to be a qualitative rather than a quantitative response. You will get responses like "I was under 1.0 KD with a controller, now I'm 2.0 with a Xim.", but that may depend on that user's background as a m/kb rather than a controller user. You're equally likely to get "My KD didn't improve, but I play more aggressively." But no-one's likely to answer "I'm 25/50/100% better with a Xim." - it's far too subjective to answer objectively, KD is about as close as you can get.

If this is a question about whether or not you should get a Xim - if you want console m/kb the answer is a resounding "yes". If you're great with a controller but have limited m/kb experience, you may or may not improve when using a Xim. If you suck with a controller but are ok/good/great with m/kb, Xim will vastly improve the console gaming experience.

If you want the negative aspects of m/kb on console -

If you're a controller user, you may struggle to adapt to digital keyboard movement. The answer there is to use a Logitech G13 or Sony Nav controller for analog movement. Tonnes of peeps love Nav / G13 + mouse, but as a native keyboarder, I find analog to be clunky, inaccurate and unresponsive.

You may also have problems adapting to the turn speed limitations of a console game, which you feel far more when using a mouse. We can't turn on a dime as we do on PC, which can lead to a sensation of input lag if hand speed exceeds max turn speed. This can make close-quarters engagements more difficult vs a controller user. For me, the answer is to move to mid-range engagements where mouse accuracy should beat controller accuracy every time.

Finally, aim assist can mess with mouse aim. Set your Xim sensitivity low and you'll get strong AA, but you may find it difficult to break into the hitbox. The answer is to increase sensitivity to find a middle-ground between sticky AA and hitbox cut-through.
« Last Edit: 04:14 PM - 01/15/18 by antithesis »

Offline Die_Hard

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: aalsarram
« Reply #7 on: 04:31 PM - 01/15/18 »
For me more than 100%

My KD on COD/
Controller: 1.2
Mouse and keyboard: 2.5

My KD on BF4/
Controller: 1.9
Mouse and keyboard: 4.1

Also my score per minute and kill per minute have increased by more than 100%

Offline nikiangel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07:20 PM - 01/15/18 »
For me, this poll is not to decide if I'm going to buy it or not.
XIM Apex is the present I want for my birthday. Too bad I will not get it in time :(.
But when you are going to buy a Ferrari.. what do you ask.
How fast can it go?

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #9 on: 07:53 PM - 01/15/18 »
Objectively, 1000Hz on Apex is smoother and more accurate than Xim4 with better aim assist management. That's your horsepower comparison with a Xim4. How you use that horsepower depends on the skill of the driver :)

Xim is an experiential device and that experience is going to be shaped by your individual gaming history. There are tonnes of testimonials from controller players who improved their KDR via Xim. Equally, there are some gamers that just couldn't get used to m/kb and went back to controller. Where you lie on that spectrum is impossible to say until you get your hands on one.

I can unequivocally recommend Apex based on 8 years and 4 generations of Xim, preceded by decades of PC gaming. It is by far the best m/kb solution for console and I frankly wouldn't be a console gamer without it.
« Last Edit: 08:00 PM - 01/15/18 by antithesis »

Offline Call_Me_Ozne

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: Call_Me_Ozne
« Reply #10 on: 12:04 PM - 01/16/18 »
On controller I was pretty decent, but when I got used to running the XIM it was GG.

The snapping on to targets and being accurate long range in ms is something a controller just can't compete with. 

My experience is just with COD competitive though.

The biggest selling point to me was the fact I could use a keyboard and mouse, something I'm comfortable with, with relative ease for less/equal then it would cost to buy a new SCUF controller.