XIM Community

XIM 2 VS XIM 1  (Read 5571 times)

Offline glenn37216

• MVP
    • View Profile
Re: XIM 2 VS XIM 1
« Reply #30 on: 04:56 AM - 06/26/08 »
I cannot go much into detail right now, but XIM 2 is AWESOME within halo 3 and cod4. Only got a few mins in so far as I am taking photos for the guide but @#$% this beast is sexy.

WARNING : This is digital sexual harassment. Please do not tease us in such a manner OR I WILL BE FORCED REPORT YOU TO THE CODE MONKIES .  ;D

Offline SKAG187

• MVP
  • PHD in Teledildonics (a pioneer in the field)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 07:13 AM - 06/26/08 »
hmmmmmmmmm sexy  :D
PHD in Teledildonics

Offline abs0lut

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 08:06 PM - 06/26/08 »
Hey quick question nick.  I went to Heald college and took an electronics class where we soldered a bit.  Are you using the technique where you heat the iron, press the wire on the solder point with the iron, then introduce the solder onto the solder point?
The present is a gift..

Offline derektm

• View Profile
    • Derektm.com
« Reply #33 on: 03:47 AM - 06/27/08 »
Hey quick question nick.  I went to Heald college and took an electronics class where we soldered a bit.  Are you using the technique where you heat the iron, press the wire on the solder point with the iron, then introduce the solder onto the solder point?

No. The pad is supposed to be tinned with solder.

Offline abs0lut

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 07:32 AM - 06/27/08 »
So what are you heating up with the iron?
The present is a gift..

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
  • Xim360 Tester. All Hail Xim360!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 09:56 AM - 06/27/08 »

No. The pad is supposed to be tinned with solder.

As derek pointed out, you gotta tin the pads then place your wire. I tinned my wire as well and it made it easier to place it down. Keep in mind, we are talking about a very small square PACKED with all kinds of goodies. So you don't want to just be heating the pad and placing solder on there as one could EASILY bridge (where solder flows from pad to pad making one giant piece). Besides that, the board could get damaged from the heat. 15w iron will burn it up pretty fast within a second or two. I used a combination of 5 to 15w on most electronics with a lower melting point solder. 60/40, 63/37 (this one has a lower melting point, so better for lower wattage iron) and 50/50.

Tin the pads.
Tin the TP's. (on the controller, little points that you must hit with precision)

Have fun.
« Last Edit: 03:09 PM - 06/27/08 by nickstudy »
Happy Xim360 tester (former)

Gamertag ii TR00F ii
That's 2 i's a space a TR then 2 zero's an F then a space then 2 more i's.

Offline abs0lut

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 02:31 PM - 06/27/08 »
Gotcha.
The present is a gift..

Offline animenows

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 05:38 PM - 06/27/08 »
wait,, the micro controllers on the board, is it presoldered on?/ or when i get the diy kit, it will be in little bits and peices,with a board that has little holes. I have a 30 w solder gun, its strange but my solder wont melt unless i put the gun directly on it for over 10 seconds...i thought 30w was low,, i guess its the solder

Offline OMGsus

• Administrator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: OMGsus
  • PSN ID: OMGsus
« Reply #38 on: 05:57 AM - 06/28/08 »
wait,, the micro controllers on the board, is it presoldered on?/ or when i get the diy kit, it will be in little bits and peices,with a board that has little holes. I have a 30 w solder gun, its strange but my solder wont melt unless i put the gun directly on it for over 10 seconds...i thought 30w was low,, i guess its the solder

Is your tip clean and tinned?  As far as the DIY kit, the board and components will be pre-assembled and will come with a bunch of wires and a cable. I'm not sure but the kit may still come with the USB cable soldered too.

Offline animenows

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 11:57 AM - 06/28/08 »
I looked more carefully at my solder kit, the solder is lead free, i guess thats why it was so difficult to liquidfy.

Offline Ub3rn00ber

• MVP
  • I will punish you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 12:38 PM - 06/28/08 »
see you have to hit the solder points with precision.  I'm so shaky and jerky.  That is why I don't usually solder things myself.  If I had some sort of electronic or mechanical machine that could hold things without shaking for me, I would be much better off ;)

technogiant

« Reply #41 on: 09:37 AM - 06/30/08 »
I looked more carefully at my solder kit, the solder is lead free, i guess thats why it was so difficult to liquidfy.

From what little I know about soldering you shouldn't be using lead free solder...it has a much greater tendency to form "whiskers" that can form minute bridges between solder points.

Offline derektm

• View Profile
    • Derektm.com
« Reply #42 on: 10:41 AM - 06/30/08 »
I use lead free and it works perfectly. Your equipment must not be that great. I'd recommend buying a good soldering station and some quality lead free solder, something from Kester.

technogiant

« Reply #43 on: 10:51 AM - 06/30/08 »

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
  • Xim360 Tester. All Hail Xim360!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 11:23 AM - 06/30/08 »

This is what I use. It uses micro tips, so I can use .10 mm or I can use something larger like a .61 etc etc. Variable temp, esd protection and everything else you could ask for.

Costs a little bit, but if you going to do alot of work like this it's good to have. I paid 190 for this unit. I like weller they make good stuff.

I have lead free, but I didn't have any on hand at the time.
« Last Edit: 11:26 AM - 06/30/08 by OMGsus »
Happy Xim360 tester (former)

Gamertag ii TR00F ii
That's 2 i's a space a TR then 2 zero's an F then a space then 2 more i's.